PDA

View Full Version : Why does Autococker and Automag both have 'Auto' in them?

paintbattler
02-17-2003, 11:07 AM
is it just a coencidence (sp?) or is there a theory behind it..thanks

puckmaster
02-17-2003, 11:17 AM
I think the autococker is called auto because it AUTOmaticly cocks for the next shot.

LaW
02-17-2003, 11:32 AM
the auto mag is "auto" because it automatically has magic elves shoot paintballs almost 50% further than any other marker on the market.

manike
02-17-2003, 11:36 AM
I believe it's marketing from back in the days when most guns were pumps.

An 'auto' mean an automatically loading gun (more commonly known as semi auto really).

It helped inform people of what they getting and the improvement in technology they were buying.

Skoad
02-17-2003, 02:26 PM
reason: because

:)

Badabing
02-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Thats a good question, I think Big Tom needs aww us with some of his insight on this topic.

WARPED1
02-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Autococker because the front pneumatics AUTOmatically COCK the gun,all a cocker is,is an automated pump.Not a true semi in any sense of the word.As far as Automag is concerned,I have no clue.

tobz
02-17-2003, 02:43 PM
that the funniest part about all of this...
is that no one uses the auto part anyways

lol

to most of us, they're just mags n cockers

lol
i'm so funny

-tobz

dogEmedic
02-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Well you would'nt want to tell your friends you have a semi-cocker or a semi-mag,

:D

joeyjoe367
02-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Well, Tom said the current Automag (aka Panther 4, I believe) looked a lot like the .44 Automag. Forget who makes it, but it's a hand-cannon :)

darklord
02-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Why because they are both fully automatic markers, of course. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

I'm going to have to agree with the automatic-recocking theory. I would think the same applies to the automag.

AGD
02-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Most of you guys are too young to remember Dirty Harry but he was an icon in his day. He shot the well known 44 Automag in one of his movies. We got the name from him.

AGD

PsychoMag
02-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by WARPED1
Autococker because the front pneumatics AUTOmatically COCK the gun,all a cocker is,is an automated pump.Not a true semi in any sense of the word.As far as Automag is concerned,I have no clue.

I believe the automag's auto, gave a buyer the sense that you didnt have to cock the marker (it was automatic)back in the early 90's when it was realeased. The biggest guns back then were pumps like Razorbacks, Phantoms, and spinoff markers based on nelson technology. Most semi autos were not semis, they were actually "double-action"

Jerhew
02-17-2003, 03:22 PM
the movie was sudden impact
the smith and wesson .44 automag is one of the most powerful handguns in the world

that looks a lot more like a classic mag than i realized...
(technically the s&w automag has been around since atleast the '70's...so that is the real "classic" :D )

oh and btw:
auto because it's a true semi-automatic
and mag because it's a .44 MAGnum

WaRBladE
02-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Jerhew
the movie was sudden impact
the smith and wesson .44 automag is one of the most powerful handguns in the world

That is not the case...there are Desert Eagle .50 cal semi-autos that hold 7 rounds and also now have a new Smith and Wesson .50 cal 5 round revolver.

Here is a picture of the semi-auto .50 cal Desert Eagle
http://www.the22ndsas.com/Weapons/non_permitted/de50.JPG

Smith & Wesson unveils new pistol (http://www.msnbc.com/news/872651.asp?0cv=BB10&cp1=1)

Here is a picture of the new Smith and Wesson .50 cal revolver
http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/1790130.jpg

Jerhew
02-17-2003, 06:22 PM
i immediately realized that...
which is why i said "one of"
it's definitely in the top 5
if you want to get technical about it
besides i was just making the point that the automag looks like the automag:rolleyes: :)

Army
02-17-2003, 06:43 PM
*Army puts on his reality hat*

The .44 Automag was designed and originally marketed by Harry Sanford. He sold the manufacture rights to AMT in Pasadena. Consequently it bacame the AMT Automag, Smith & Wesson never had anything to do with it.

Manufacture/delivery was slow due to it's intense exactness in the machining process (no C&C machines then). AMT sold the manufacture rights to High Standard, who soon sold it back to Harry, who again sold it to AMT. This did not make for happy customers, and the gun died out of favor in less than 10 years.

The Automag ammo was initially a handload proposition. Using .308 rifle brass, the case was cut and trimmed to accomodate the .44 bullet. Using shotgun-shell powder, the .44 generated half again as much energy as the normal Remington .44 magnum with the same bullets. Ammo was available for a short time from a Mexican company, but that source dried up when demand for the ammo never came.

The gun(s) that Clint Eastwood uses were especially made to fire blank ammo. Two of these guns were made, one with a 6" barrel, and one with an 8" barrel for effect when pointed at the camera (they did the same thing for the "Dirty Harry" revolvers). Did anyone else notice in the movie, that when he fired the "most powerful gun in the world" at the pieces of angle iron, the bullets simply glanced off? Yet when he shot the car, it was penetrated like a cannon hit it:) BTW, Harry must be a superb pistolero, since he can hang onto that gun with one hand and the recoil hardly bothers him at all. When I fired an Automag back in the 80's, I almost clonked myself in the head when the recoil brought the weapon up and back in a most rapid manner, and this was with a two handed death-grip:D

Only 62 Automags can be accounted for, despite nearly 400 being made. Foriegn sales are suspect in most of the missing guns.

Warblade, the Remington .44 magnum was indeed the most powerful factory handgun from 1956 until the early 80's, when the .454 Casull was introduced in the Freedom Arms revolver. The .50AE came along in the late 80's, initially chambered in the Desert Eagle made by IMI in Israel. The new .50S&W has not been wrung out by consumers yet, so despite it's recent fanfare, it awaits acceptance by the shooting community, which is the barometer for the gun manufactureres.

Jerhew
02-17-2003, 07:23 PM
ya that was my bad
its not a s&w

it's too bad you have to make your own ammo
that's a really cool looking pistol

i read that it was a high maintenance gun, you couldn't use it regularly without fiddling with(hrm that sounds more like a 'cocker than a 'mag :D )

Wc Keep
02-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by AGD
Most of you guys are too young to remember Dirty Harry but he was an icon in his day. He shot the well known 44 Automag in one of his movies. We got the name from him.

AGD

i remember tom telling me this over dinner at south carolina. he said it was the one bit of uncreativity he had.

Halliday
02-17-2003, 08:47 PM
In all this excitement, I can't remember if I've shot 5 paintballs or 50. So you just have to ask yourself one question, do you feel lucky punk?

mark_426
07-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Army sort of hit upon it, I dont know if anyone cares any more, but a .454 is the most powerful handgun made. The .50 Desert Eagle is just the biggest diameter:). I have a video of me shooting a concrete block with a Freedom Arms .454 Casull if anyone can tell me how to get it from a video to the computer.

Spaceman613
07-28-2003, 11:47 AM
A teammate of mine has a Casule (from Taurus)... Geeze, thats a monster. We plan on going out shooting it one day soon, but he says he doesnt like to. It HURTS to shoot it. It has top venting so the recoil is more back, than up. Ill have to see just how bad that monster is.

JEDI
07-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Oh... I thought Tom told me he got the idea one day while he was car shopping. He was looking through an "Auto Mag". Har Har!! Get it.... Oh man....:rolleyes: :D

Frontline Newbie
07-28-2003, 01:00 PM
The automag (pistol) can't be all that powerful and hard to handle, I've fired revolvers with .357 magnum hollow point rounds and the recoil wasn't bad, a .44 can't be all the much more, especially in a semi because it absorbs some of the recoil to recock it

punkcmonkiez
07-28-2003, 01:39 PM
i know this is kinda off topic, but somtimes the name automag makes me mad... because people who dont know much about paintball ask me what kinda gun i have and i say an automag... then they go an automatic? and i say no an auto MAG and it takes liek 5 minutes to explain its not automatic (even tho they can shoot soo fast you think thier auto :D ) its just the name of the gun. do any of you have this same problem?

Star_Base_CGI
07-28-2003, 02:26 PM
.44 automag Will make a 6 inch exit hole.

Blow your head clean off.

Now you have to ask yourself one question punk.

Do you feel lucky? Huh? Do yah?

Star_Base_CGI
07-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Automag Flashy thing

FESTUS33
07-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Go Back and read Army's post, He's got the right of it! The only thing I can add is that A.M.T. stand's for Arcadia Machine and Tool, They No Longer exist as they did when they made the original AutoMag Pistols, However after Buyout's and restructuring, They now make the Automag II, III, and IV, although none of them are available in the .44 AutoMag Cartridge.
Rick
AO's Mad Gunsmith :eek: