PDA

View Full Version : Ule Hype But No Weights?

Aliens-8-MyDad
02-19-2003, 12:21 AM
ive been all hyped up on ULE stuff but have only been told its Lighter than what i have now...... well now that ive got a chance to buy some stuff im wondering is it really worth it!? i mean around $200 for a ULE gripframe and another $80 for the body rail... thats the price of a stock mag! and to hear some of these new aluminum milled bodies will be running in the $200 + scares me cause that will put your total at $480+ I want to know the weight diffrences of these products once and for all! its making me angry when i ask and no one knows...

Mossman
02-19-2003, 01:26 AM
Today I read that Tom said that the ULE rail is 3oz. lighter than stock. There's a few degrees of seperation there but if it's true that aint bad. Personally I wouldn't go for the ULE frame unless the clam shell really bothers you.

Sinnet
02-19-2003, 01:38 AM
kinda funny how as emag users go towards '45 shaped frames w/a flat back, all the timmy users want to trade in their 45 and stock frames for clamshells...

cledford
02-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Mossman
Today I read that Tom said that the ULE rail is 3oz. lighter than stock. There's a few degrees of seperation there but if it's true that aint bad. Personally I wouldn't go for the ULE frame unless the clam shell really bothers you.

Couple of things for everyone...

1. The ULE rail is 3.6 ounces lighter then the stock. If you bought it from the AGD online store (likely) then you saw that when ordering.

2. The stock Emag frame is not a clamshell or a 45. The ULE frame could be considered 45 like, but I'd say the "dyed in the wool definition" for being a *true* (paintball) 45 frame is having the ability to accept grips produced for 45 frames - which neither the stock or ULE frame can do. Clamshell frames are not "clamshell" based on looks - as in the humped backstrap. Clamshells are called that because they are 2 pieces that fit together (like a clamshell) to hold all of the guts in. The AGD frame is not like the Bob Long frame in this respect - although they both have the "hump." In short, you can have a clamshell with a hump (The Bob Long which is like that because he was still having trouble fitting everything inside) or a non-clamshell with a hump. (Like the AGD stock Emag)

Real "45" frames are based on the dimensions and grip angle of the (colt and derivative) .45 caliber handgun frames. The ULE and stock Emag frames may have the same basic design and grip angle - but are much larger to squeeze in the solenoid, system board and other guts. One of the inherent “good” qualities about the 45 frame and (likely) why it was ported over to paintball is that it is a very comfortable design and fairly thin and narrow. This leads to a much more comfortable grip and is (IMHO) the real “45 quality” that is being reproduced when used on a paintgun. So, in my mind, to be a “45 frame” you must have the same dimensions as the real thing to qualify. There is nothing wrong with the AGD frame and I find it to be fine for paintball purposes.

I'm buying a ULE frame and when I get it will post the weight. I'm building my Emag into a ULE mag as an Xmag is not an option due to financial matters.

Right now the weights are:

ULE Rail: 3.6 oz lighter then stock
Xvalve: 3 oz lighter then stock (I consider this a ULE part)
ULE Frame: unknown
ULE body: unknown and variable based on milling.

I think the reason there isn't hard data out right now is that the ULE line is "ramping up" and isn't in general production yet. In his "projects" thread Tom stated that there is a push for the ULE line - but obviously it isn't near mainstream yet. There are no ULE bodies out at all, the frames are very hard to get, and the rails don't even come anodized or completely finished at this point.

Aliens-8-MyDad, take a chill dude! If you really want to know get a scale - otherwise you need to recognize that the ULE is on the bleeding edge and still developing as a product right now. Getting "angry" because the information isn't available yet is a little overboard. I could see the point if the product line was in full swing and you didn't have what you needed - but come on, that is far from the case at this point. AGD has a history of developing a product in conjunction with its customers. It is likely that one reason there is no hard data is because the finial designs aren’t even finished yet. (Which would have a big impact when differences will be measured in fractions of an ounce) If you’ve got ULE stuff then you need to realize that you’re one of the few and that it was sold “As is” hoping that you’d be capable of providing input. In my opinion, this requires a certain degree of skill and capability and if you are incapable of weighing the stuff – then you might not be the best owner for the ULE parts at this point.

-Calvin

Aliens-8-MyDad
02-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Aliens-8-MyDad, take a chill dude! If you really want to know get a scale - otherwise you need to recognize that the ULE is on the bleeding edge and still developing as a product right now. Getting "angry" because the information isn't available yet is a little overboard. I could see the point if the product line was in full swing and you didn't have what you needed - but come on, that is far from the case at this point. AGD has a history of developing a product in conjunction with its customers. It is likely that one reason there is no hard data is because the finial designs aren’t even finished yet. (Which would have a big impact when differences will be measured in fractions of an ounce) If you’ve got ULE stuff then you need to realize that you’re one of the few and that it was sold “As is” hoping that you’d be capable of providing input. In my opinion, this requires a certain degree of skill and capability and if you are incapable of weighing the stuff – then you might not be the best owner for the ULE parts at this point.

Ok, im sorry I understand now... just i couldnt see spending that much money just to make it a little lighter... so I wasnt sure of the weights. and every time i asked someone they didnt know, so I got mad. thanks every one who posted.

cledford
02-19-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Aliens-8-MyDad

Ok, im sorry I understand now... just i couldnt see spending that much money just to make it a little lighter... so I wasnt sure of the weights. and every time i asked someone they didnt know, so I got mad. thanks every one who posted.

No problem. I'm guessing about a pound when it is all done assuming a person does it all.

Yes it is pricy - but then is a lot cheaper then the Xmag. (I'd love one - but can't justify the price having an Emag and have just bought a new house...)

-Calvin

Blennidae
02-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Sinnet
kinda funny how as emag users go towards '45 shaped frames w/a flat back, all the timmy users want to trade in their 45 and stock frames for clamshells...

Not all Emag users. I actually like the hump on the back of the frame. I'm not sure how much weight difference there is, but for me, the price and hassle of swapping it out don't justify me buying one.

cphilip
02-19-2003, 10:55 AM
A pregnant lady I once knew told me that "the hump" was the sexist thing there was. I believe they are indeed more comfortable to hold. :D ;)

pito189
02-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Think about the ounces though. They do start to add up.

ULE Rail: 3.6 oz lighter then stock
Xvalve: 3 oz lighter then stock (I consider this a ULE part)
ULE Frame: Lets say 3 for sake of argument.
ULE body: The Festuss body was 4 ounces lighter than stock.

So 13.6 ounces. Now tell me that is not a big difference. If people wouldn't pay for lighter guns, WDP wouldn't make the FLY, WGP wouldn't make the mini cocker, and Brass Eagles wouldn't make the Talon ;) .

It addes up. I have a milled rail, frame, frymark battery pack, and an X-Valve.

I can tell the difference just now, and I am getting an AL body. My Max Flow now feels heavier than my gun with the barrel.

Just my humble opinion. :D ;) :)

pito189
02-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Sorry had to fit it in.

http://web.utk.edu/~pchinett/newe.jpg;)

cledford
02-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Frygirl is now making resin battery housings also. That should shave off a bit more...

-Calvin

the123
02-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Gunga weighed the milled Slug body that we all voted on with the little tear drop lines down the side. The ULE body that AGD is making is 3.85 oz without detent and with short feed cup. Compared to 7.2 oz for the standard powerfeed body.