PDA

View Full Version : Can different sized On/off pins be purchased and used?

vaypourus
02-19-2003, 06:34 PM
I have heard some talk lately about using a different size on/off pin with the retro valve; one kid claims that a .740-.745 works best instead of the stock .750, and he even suggested that the stock pin doesn't always work. Am I missing something here?

This confuses me, becuase I know using an Emag or RT Pro pin in a retro valve can cause some serious problems, and cutting/sanding/grinding down an on/off pin can have the same effect. I have seen what a worn/altered pin can do; rapid, uncontrolled firing, leaking, and inability to shoot were problems. A new pin of the right length solved the problems immediately.

Can you really use different length on/off pins?

IcantBelieveit
02-19-2003, 06:45 PM
well right now i am using an e-mag pin, and it weill run away every once in awhile, and i knw this is b/c of the length of the pin and the Stock R/T pin would solve my issue, but answer you question yes they can be used, the problem is non firing issues, and when the gun runs away it can cuase fast intermal wear to the bolt and sear assembly

EsPo
02-19-2003, 07:00 PM
i was just talking to sneakyhacker420 online.. and he seemed very very very very pleased with his new .745 on/off pin.. so pleased he was forced to use profanity.. there fore i couldnt post the convo here. he said something along the lines of it being soo <u>friggin</u> easy to sweetspot...

underlined = edited for profanity :)

Havoc_online
02-19-2003, 07:02 PM
depends on what sized pin on what valve.

Emag pins are very short compared to other valves because rod(due to plunger) length is spaced differently.

shorter pins do the same thing as higher input pressure(on RT/RTP) increasing reactivity so long as it's not too short that it leaks.

stock pins do work, if they didnt, they wouldnt be stock. sometimes ppl lengthen thier rod length thinking they know what they are doing, but instead it doesnt give enough room for the pin to move thereby needing a shorter pin to work because the problem couldnt possibly be lengthening the rod:rolleyes:.

A Emag pin in an RT valve is bad(depending on input pressure)

RTP's come with long pins to reduce reactivity. since rod lengths on RT's and RTP's are different, it affects the RT more.

You CAN use different length on/off pins as long as they are in tolerance but stock pins work perfect. the shorter you go, the closer you are to not having a legal trigger.

vaypourus
02-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Very interesting...thanks for the replies.

I tried to help a kid a while back with his new retro valve; the thing wouldn't shoot one shot. Instead, it basically went into uncontrollable run away every time he pulled the trigger. We later found out that somebody had slipped an Emag pin in there by mistake.

I wasn't too keen on playing with the pin length myself; at 850 psi, I can get the gun to touch the edge of run-away. I don't see why you would want to increase this.

I guess my question is answered. Thanks!