PDA

View Full Version : ATTN all skiers and boarders

Quiet
02-22-2003, 02:19 PM
The IOC has officially announced that Boarder-X (Skier-X??) will be a medal event at the 2006 games.

I am soo happy:D :D :D :D

irbodden
02-22-2003, 02:21 PM
uhm.... Boarder X?

Don't they already have half pipe stuff? And the gold metal placer tested positive for pot? I remember a great SNL skit on that... :)

Quiet
02-22-2003, 02:47 PM
You've never heard of boardercross???
Yes halfpipe was already in the olympics as is GS. The pot smoking gold medalist was in the GS.

irbodden
02-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Bordercross? Explain?

Is it like Snowcross for us snowmobilers?

Fred
02-22-2003, 02:56 PM
its a stupid event where a few skiers/boarders race the same course at the same time... its a great way to seriously injure yourself, but its popular to watch on TV...

Giant Slalom and half pipe are way cooler IMO... they should have a Skiing half pipe event... that's where the real skill is. :p

---Fred

EsPo
02-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Fred
they should have a Skiing half pipe event... that's where the real skill is. :p

---Fred
IMO boarder x is the most safe way to compete! would you rather launch yourself 10 feet in the air off of a 20 foot pipe wall then come down and smash your face cause you flatlanded, or maybe get tangled up with another skier/boarder and take a bit of a fall.. you even have a chance to rebound from this fall.

one of the mtns ive been to dont even allow the skiers in the parks!

nobody had said anything bad against skiers/snowboarders until you came into this thread. your the kind of person who ruins the entire idea of snowboarding/skiing. to have a good time, rather than fight..

irbodden
02-22-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by EsPo

IMO boarder x is the most safe way to compete! would you rather launch yourself 10 feet in the air off of a 20 foot pipe wall then come down and smash your face cause you flatlanded, or maybe get tangled up with another skier/boarder and take a bit of a fall.. you even have a chance to rebound from this fall.

one of the mtns ive been to dont even allow the skiers in the parks!

nobody had said anything bad against skiers/snowboarders until you came into this thread. your the kind of person who ruins the entire idea of snowboarding/skiing. to have a good time, rather than fight..

uhm... where did he bash snowboarders? He simply said he didn't like XCross but prefered pipe/Salomn. How would you tangle up with someone in the pipe? Isn't it only one person in it at the time during comp?

EsPo
02-22-2003, 04:19 PM

my bad.. the second part.. after i said "or maybe ...." was supposed to be aimed at Boarder x

... they should have a Skiing half pipe event... that's where the real skill is. :p

---Fred
thats where he bashed boarders (from the way i read it anyway)

irbodden
02-22-2003, 04:29 PM
thats where he bashed boarders (from the way i read it anyway)

Did you see the ":p" :rolleyes:

paintbattler
02-22-2003, 05:54 PM
u know Emagster? he is probably the top 15 in the country for his age

he has won everything around here and up northwest..im proud because he is my cousin!!

PolishSausage
02-22-2003, 07:49 PM
I'd love to see Skiing 1/2 Pipe in the Olympics..

Quiet
02-22-2003, 10:01 PM
What does Emagster compete in, and what age bracket?

RetroEclipseMan
02-22-2003, 10:29 PM
I dunno, boardX is pretty cool and I actually went up to Alpental for the last couple seasons to practice when they got the boarderX course set up but I think I'd rather see Slopestyle in the Olympics rather than BoarderX. I actually heard that they were contemplating putting a Big Air event into the olympics.

Fred
02-23-2003, 10:05 AM

:p

;) smilies set the tone, don't read into it so much.

Most everywhere I have been, which is a pretty long list, never have any trouble with freestyle skiers dropping into the pipes and terrain parks.

I still think the skier/boarder cross event is stupid, it was invented for TV ratings, just like the downhill bmx thing where so many people got hurt...

On the other hand, I love watching the snowboard slalom events too, those things take a lot of skill to ride well.

Edit: Added: Oh, and I did mean to infer a jab that Freestyle skiing in the halfpipe is indeed harder than boarding in a halfpipe, and requires more skill. :p

EsPo
02-23-2003, 10:32 AM
ok, ive got one last question...ill leave after this. is it normal to stick your toungue out at somebody like so :p after making a sarcastic comment?

paintbattler
02-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Quiet
What does Emagster compete in, and what age bracket? im not too sure..im not a skier so i dont really know..all i know is when i go in his room, there are like 10 3 feet tall trophies on his dressor..but for the age brack thing, he is 15 so i guess in the 15 yr old bracket???

Fred
02-23-2003, 01:59 PM
I use :p more to set a joking tone, but it covers sarcasm as well. :D the :rolleyes: is also good for sarcasm. :cool:

Quiet
02-23-2003, 03:57 PM
RetroEclipseMan
- They haven't been contemplating big air. This is because it is a judged event and thus subjective. The IOC has had too many scandals to be welcoming of judged events these days. You can thank the idiot figure skating judges for that.

Fred
- Only the poser boarders that care more about appearances than the sport have problems with sharing with skiers. A nice off axis 360 is just that to most of us regardless of what you have on your feet.
Most of us also realize that what is hanging off your feet doesn't make it more difficult or easier:rolleyes:
- Boardercross wasn't created for TV, or by event promoters. It was started by riders that wanted to compete against each other regardless of what style they were and were sick and tired of some lame judge telling us who's the best. The clock is completely impartial and never makes mistakes.
- I think you are suffering from the fact that there are too few individuals that know how to design and build a proper BX course. Poor courses aren't all that exciting to ride or watch and can be very dangerous. On the other hand a well designed course is a lot of fun for competitors and specators alike, and will not be all that dangerous.
- I'm just dying of curiosity, have you participated in many/any BXs?

Paintbattler
- Thanks, I might just have to pm Emagster.

Fred
02-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Nope, you won't catch me going that fast within a couple feet of anyone else... I've done some stupid stuff on the slopes (a few double Blacks at Vail for example...), but high velocity with the added aspect of possible collisions is not my bag.

I only get to ski maybe a week a year anyway, MI is pretty flat... and I don't consider it to be classifiable as "skiing"... :(

Although I've never participated in any kind of competition, I would say I'm better than 90% of the people on the local slopes, and in the "better than average" grouping of people who ski the mountains.

We kind of have an advantage, since we ski ice and crap so much, we can do just about any conditions out west, where they get so much of the lovely soft powder... (insert drooling here)... skiing real snow is like a touch of heaven to midwest riders (of any persuasion).

And counterpoint: Don't tell me it isn't harder to line up two seperate boards for a landing than one big one with 4x the surface area... :rolleyes:

Can't wait to get my shorty-twin-tips next year... but until then my Rossi 198 Bandits will have to keep me happy (best skis I've ever owned, love em!)

---Fred

Brak
02-23-2003, 07:00 PM
nice, im still waiting for the teen skier x tours to come... i wish that they would have those

Quiet
02-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Brak - FIS competition is open from 16 years old, so if you are a teen you wont have to wait long if you're not there yet. FIS is through USSA in the states.