PDA

View Full Version : nitro tank leak

afrankart
02-22-2003, 07:09 PM
I filled up my centerflag 68/4500 tank for the first time today. At the fiss station, the guage read 4400. When I got home 45 min later, it read 4200. I noticed it was making a sound kindof like the sound a can of pepsi makes after its poured in a glass. I put a little spit around the pressure guage and the fill nipple. I determined the leak was at the base of this. Should I take it out and re-teftlon tape it? Any suggestions?

warpfeedmod
02-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by afrankart
I filled up my centerflag 68/4500 tank for the first time today. At the fiss station, the guage read 4400. When I got home 45 min later, it read 4200. I noticed it was making a sound kindof like the sound a can of pepsi makes after its poured in a glass. I put a little spit around the pressure guage and the fill nipple. I determined the leak was at the base of this. Should I take it out and re-teftlon tape it? Any suggestions?

If it's the fill-nipple I'd say just re-tef-tape it. I had replaced mine after damaging it and had a slow leak

EsPo
02-22-2003, 07:11 PM
if your going to reteflon it.. make suuuuuuuure that the tank is COMPLETELY empty.

BajaBoy
02-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by EsPo
if your going to reteflon it.. make suuuuuuuure that the tank is COMPLETELY empty.

i 2nd that

personman
02-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by afrankart
At the fiss station, the guage read 4400. When I got home 45 min later, it read 4200.
Thats completely normal. All nitro tanks loose pressure after a fill. But yea, empty the tank until it gets to the point where you can push the pin down with your finger, and there is no air coming out. Use an ASA and just screw it in all the way. It will be loud! :)
Just reteflon whatever is leaking and it will be fine.

afrankart
02-22-2003, 07:44 PM
I noticed the tank stopped leaking after it got below 2200 psi. I drained the tank, but the fill nipple screw is really tight, so I am sort of hesitant...

RusskiX
02-22-2003, 07:59 PM
If it stopped a certain PSI before emptying theres a good chance that the o-ring around the piston is damaged/warped. When you take out the fill nipple, make sure you check/replace the o-ring and then tape/loctite it good!

And yes the fill nipple should be screwed in tight. Just use some elbow grease! You want it that tight when you screw it back it.

Good luck.

IcantBelieveit
02-22-2003, 08:01 PM
yea when you fill them they heat up, and then when they cool the pressure drop, completley normal,

afrankart
02-22-2003, 08:04 PM
How much do they usually drop after a fill. I thought 200 psi in an hour was a bit much. I guess I won't be able to store a full tank for a week or so:(

personman
02-22-2003, 08:33 PM
No. You only loose pressure, very slowly, for about 30 mins to an hour, and stop. If your tank looses pressure after that its a leak.

afrankart
02-23-2003, 01:02 AM
I took off the fill nipple to tef-tape it, and I was unable to find an o-ring. maybe I was looking in the wrong place? There was what appeared to be a screw in the bottom side of the nipple. Oh well, hopefully I can get it filled tomorrow to check for more leaks. Thanx

personman
02-23-2003, 01:06 AM
In the bottom of the nipple, its not a screw, its a little metal piece with an oring around it, which was what he was talking about.. it would be better if you just buy a new fill nipple if it is still leaking. Oh, I dont know if it has been said in this thread, but whatevr you do, dont oil your tank.