PDA

View Full Version : Help with Emag to warp power (specifically 12v regulator)

theraidenproject
02-23-2003, 08:46 PM
My emag battery to warp and revvy mod works, except for power to the warp. I've isolated it to a problem with my reg set-up since the warp with a 9v works, and the snap I'm using to the reg powers my revvy. I've taken it apart and put it back together several times, but no dice. Whenever I plug it in, the gun turns off. Some help would be appreciated. The next pic is what it should look like from Rob's site.
http://www.robagd.com/revy-hack/12v-reg-warp-pic.jpg
Here's what mine looks like. What's the problem?

RobAGD
02-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Well other than your soldering looking like poo it should work if your using the right regulator.

That and making sure your keeping you Voltage in and out correct.

-Robert

theraidenproject
02-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by RobAGD
Well other than your soldering looking like poo it should work if your using the right regulator.
Ha ha. The only soldering I've ever done was for paintball. This is probably only the third project I've ever done. We all have to start somewhere. I'm 100% sure it was the right reg when I bought it, but I threw away the packaging, so now I can't be sure.

Originally posted by RobAGD
That and making sure your keeping you Voltage in and out correct.
I'll double check this again/

Thanks again for the help.

blizpaintball42
02-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Dude a voltage reg is like 59 cents... You could have blown it out when you soldered it. They can't get too hot. Just get another one.

sniper1rfa
02-24-2003, 05:42 PM
yeah, i just came into this thread when i though of that. your soldering looks like crud (no offense :) ), so you may have left it on too long. get a new reg.

dfs
02-24-2003, 05:52 PM
the reg is the right voltage. positive voltage regs are numbered 78** with the ** being the regulated voltage. neg voltage regs are 79**. so a 7812 is a +12 v regulator, a 7905 is a -5v reg and so on.

Tunaman
02-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Maximum junction temperature is 150 degrees, so if you didn't use a heat sink, you probably blew the reg.;)

blizpaintball42
02-24-2003, 06:34 PM
also, i'm not quite sure what those blue things are... resistors? i didn't use them in mine, and it worked fine. as well, when you get all that stuff crammed into the warp, or wherever you may be putting it, there is a good chance that all your wires are touching. if this is the case, you can kiss the voltage reg goodbye. break down, but a new voltage reg, and a pack of heat shrink tubing... the long strips, not the precut stuff. whatever wires are long, cut as well. you don't need excess lengths of wire all over the place. if you get the reg and a pack of heat shrink tubing (it comes with enough tubing for many projects), it'll be lik 3 bucks for everything. did you use flux when you soldered? if not, that would make it look a lot neater.

xen_100
02-24-2003, 06:44 PM
I have been in electronics for over 5 years and I have never had a problem with overheating(although I do have a few soldering classes under my belt too) make sure you check the pin-out. some regs are:

pin1 - in
pin2 - gnd
pin3 - out

some are:
pin1 - in
pin2 - out
pin3 - gnd