PDA

View Full Version : Removing LX carrier?

SuperBeast
02-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Hey guys. I just got in my LX kit and am currently installing it. I put in the number 2 carrier first. After installing it, the marker was leaking pretty bad down the barrel. I pushed it around with the squeegee and it changed tones, so I was going to move on down to the next carrier size. Problem is, the carrier doesn't want to come out! It's firmly planted in there. Shouldn't it just fall out? It's an old RT, what should I do?

ChucktheMAGician
02-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Try this, http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68086 :) :D

SuperBeast
02-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Hey thanks! I read the whole thread. However, my problem remains unsloved. The field strip screw doesn't appear to be able to screw into the carrier. I don't see any threads on the inside of any of the carriers. Perhaps the old RT field strip screw is different from the 68 mag screw? Any ideas?

ChucktheMAGician
02-24-2003, 10:20 PM
I still use the pic set that I have. I think that's what the little hole on the inside of the carrier is for but no one important has confirmed that yet:rolleyes: There are no threads on the carrier, the screw just happens to fit. I'm not sure about the screw on your RT. PM cphilip or Tunaman and they will know for sure.

SuperBeast
02-24-2003, 10:23 PM
WOOT! HOORAH!

HA HA HA HA HA!!! SuperBeast prevails!!

Okay, let me fill yall in. I don't know how the shiznit people are using their field strip screw to get that carrier out, but I will tell yall how I did it.

I separated the regulator and valve assembly. I removed the valve stem (one with the spring on it) with a pair of pliers SHIELDED using a piece of cloth. This was to keep the pliers from scratching the stem! Once the stem was removed, I could see straight thru the valve thru the other side of the powertube. I was able to insert a long, skinny allen wrench and push on the carrier from the back. Problem solved. I hope this helps out people with future problems.

SuperBeast
02-24-2003, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I don't think the RT screw works. I'm no mag genius, nor am I a dummy. I would go to think that a 68 mag field strip screw would be recommended.

Tunaman
02-24-2003, 10:37 PM
You might want to add an Automag Rear field strip screw to your tool box. It is THE perfect tool for removing the carrier.;)

ChucktheMAGician
02-24-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by SuperBeast
I separated the regulator and valve assembly.

You might know this already but I'm pretty sure that this is something that you don't want to be taking apart frequently. I'm thinking there is a seal in there that goes a little every time you mess w/ it. Once again I'm sure someone w/ more experience will respond!