PDA

View Full Version : What are Micromags Made Of?

Grayso
02-25-2003, 12:04 PM
I want to get my Micromag painted in a yellow to red fade. Are the Micromag bodies made of aluminum? If not, how else can I have them painted? And does anyone know of any good companies that do fade annodizing, really good?

Load SM5
02-25-2003, 12:13 PM
They're aluminum. I would go with anno over painting as painting never lasts and looks nasty after a few good bumps. Look at http://www.xpb.us/ as talk to them about anno. I saw a few of their jobs last weekend and their stuff looked really good and the prices are great.

magmonkey
02-25-2003, 04:03 PM
micros are made of aluminum btu be aware that there is a stainless insert pressed into the body where the main spring sits .... you need to find a way to press this out before anno or it will be destroyed in the bath

dansim
02-25-2003, 04:39 PM
sugar and spice and everything nice;)

Grayso
02-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Magmonkey, where is the little insert thing at? I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the thing that holds the ball detent on, or something else? Will a hole punch and a hammer get it out? IF so, how do I get it back in?

Bront
02-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by dansim
sugar and spice and everything nice;)

For an X-mag, just add Chemical X ;)

magmonkey
02-26-2003, 03:41 PM
take your valve out and look down into the body, you will see a stainless insert right before the hole for the power feed where the main spring rests i think your best bet is to call proteam and ask them how they would go about pressing it out .. if it comes down to it you could have a machine shop bore it out and press another one in

Grayso
02-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Ok, I know what your talking about now. I'm not quite sure how to get it out, but I'll figure something out. Will that little thing even be affected though, since it's on the inside of the gun?

SlartyBartFast
02-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Anything other than Al in the bath will result in disasterous anno results......

paintballbeaver
02-26-2003, 03:54 PM
I HAVE A SOLUTION THAT WILL COST LESS THAN ANO AND YOU WONT HAVE TO REMOVE YOUR SST SEAT

POWDER COATING I CAN BE FADED OR SIGLE COLOR I DO IT AT 40.00 FOR A MICROBODY IN A FADE AND SINGLE COLOR AT 30.00
IF YOUR INTRESTED PM ME

Grayso
02-26-2003, 05:24 PM
I might get it powder coated. But doesnt powder coating scratch pretty easily, and not last as long? Wouldn't powder coating also add layers of paint to the gun?

dcmander
02-26-2003, 05:38 PM
I heard (from a friend, who called protaem and asked about it) that you don't necessarily need to remove the SS insert. Proteam said it will most likely be ok.

Someone mind calling up there and asking them again?

paintballbeaver
02-26-2003, 09:37 PM
no powder coating will hold up longer than anoe
and is resitant to fading and fuels unlike anoe

athomas
02-27-2003, 06:25 PM
The steel insert is pressed in and has a knurled outside edge to bite into the aluminum body. It is not ment to come out.

If you put a sealer on the steel insert, you can annodize the body. I wouldn't try it without the sealer. Steel does not like the annodize process. It will rapidly oxidize and get eaten away.

cphilip
02-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Micromags are made of Microbes. They grow em in test tubes.... :D

dcmander
02-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by athomas
The steel insert is pressed in and has a knurled outside edge to bite into the aluminum body. It is not ment to come out.

If you put a sealer on the steel insert, you can annodize the body. I wouldn't try it without the sealer. Steel does not like the annodize process. It will rapidly oxidize and get eaten away.

What kind of sealer? I'm planning on getting my gun annodized before the season starts.

You seem knowledgable enough on the subject, inform us!

Thanks!

warpfeedmod
02-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Sugar and spice and all things nice, thats what micromags are made of.

sorry just had to do it....

athomas
02-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by dcmander

What kind of sealer? I'm planning on getting my gun annodized before the season starts.

Use lacquer as a sealer. Paint it on where you want to keep the acid off. After you done the annodize process, you can remove the lacquer with lacquer thinner.

Mr. T!
02-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Love