PDA

View Full Version : stupid question about stainless line...

CFD323
02-25-2003, 12:48 PM
This may sound stupid but here goes...I'm looking to replace my microline on my Emag with stainless line with a QD on one end of the line and I've got a question. If I charge up my tank (then the line would also be charged) will I then be able to quick connect my steel line onto the gun valve fitting, or will the pressure be too great to allow me to attach the quick connect ?

Skoad
02-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Proconnect or quick connect?

CFD323
02-25-2003, 12:55 PM
quick connect.

But, if I go with a proconnect, will it completely release all the "leftover" pressure on the gun and the line after I shut down my tank ?

BlackVCG
02-25-2003, 01:02 PM
You need a pro-connect to be able to have the two lines seperated when you gas up the gun. Depending on how you orient the Pro-Connect, it can bleed the entire valve pressure, or the tank pressure from the output fitting to the pro-connect fitting. Whichever end you have the male fitting on is the side that will drain when you disconnect the fitting.

Why not just get some macroline and run a quick disconnect on that?

http://www.automags.org/~BlackVCG/DCP_0241.JPG

cphilip
02-25-2003, 01:04 PM
Provided you put it in the correct direction. A proconnect holds back pressure only in one direction and releases it all in the other. The big side is the hold back side and the side that looks like a male quick connect end is the no hold back side. So make sure the side that holds back pressure is towords the tank. And yes you can overcome that force and connect it without turning the tank off and insert it under pressure but you have to push kinda hard. Pretty darn hard as a matter a fact. But I do it all the time and it works fine. Thats the nice thing about them realy.

A regular quick connect holds back NO pressure on EITHER side. So you must turn the tank off first or your in for a suprise!

CFD323
02-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Is the airflow any better in macro vs micro vs stainless ?

Here's what I'd like to be able to do : I have a preset tank with a screw on on/off adaptor. Sometimes I get bolt stick when I charge the tank since the pressure coming into the gun from the tank is slow because I can only screw in the on/off so fast. If I use a QD or a proconnect I could first turn on the tank (with the line detached from the gun), then connect the line to my gun which basically would eliminate the bolt stick since the valve would be charged immediately with the full pressure of tank air. That's why if the QD would work, I'll go that route as I really don't want the big proconnect on my gun or tank. The only nice thing about the proconnect is that releases all the pressure from my valve, and I hear the LVL10's keep a little more residual pressure built up after turning the tank off. Maybe the LVL10 thing only occurred for some. I don't know since I haven't installed my LVL10 yet.

cphilip
02-25-2003, 01:41 PM
No the level 10 retained pressure is pretty much a common thing.

No your quick connect or macro line would whip around like a snake of you allow air to just surge through it like that and you would have a hard time getting it hooked up.

If this is a normal mag and your having gas up problems there are several things to do. One is to hold the trigger back while you screw in the tank. The other is to put and on/off valve ether in the drop ASA or in line on the bottle. They make both of those. That way you screw the tank in and then allow pressure in with the on off all at once. Those are preferable and normal methods of gassing up and gassing down that solve that problem. Unscrewing the tank then drains the line. Thats the best way for you to go if you are using a screw in tank.

Macro has pretty good flow and SS does real good. But Micro has been known to restrict flow somewhat.

CFD323
02-25-2003, 01:51 PM
yeah I brainfarted about having a charged line with a QD...that would be bad with a charged SS line whipping around...

This gas up thing is for an Emag.

thanks for the info though...

cphilip
02-25-2003, 01:57 PM
OK well do the trigger back thing and gas up in Manual mode. And be looking for an on off for that tank for later.