PDA

View Full Version : Another type of EBay'ish scam - Credit card numbers

Darkstorm
02-27-2003, 08:09 AM
I don't think this happened real recently but here it is.

Here is a post from Viper's board by Viper himself
"...... I'm a bit paranoid about such emails having received TWO in the past that WERE scams to get credit card info. The pages it sent me to had ebay logos and such, but were numeric IP addresses, and turned out to be bogus. Thankfully I contacted Ebay to verify them before I gave out any info. "

Mossman
02-27-2003, 10:01 AM
These are constantly popping up. Unless it says http://www.ebay.com at the beginning of the URL don't give it anything. Also if it looks legit but u're still worried, give it bogus data. If it's fake it will probably give you some error or act like you logged in just fine.

Phil
02-27-2003, 10:45 AM
I just got this today... I think you just saved me from being scammed. Thanks!

Recently we attempted to authorize payment from your credit card we have on file for you, but it was declined.
For security purposes, our system automatically removes credit card information from an account when there is a problem or the card expires.

Please resubmit the credit card, and provide us with new and complete information. To resubmit credit card information via our secure server, click the following link:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

This is the quickest and easiest method of getting credit card information to us. Using the secure server will ensure that the credit card will be placed on account within 24 hours.

Copyright 1995-2002 eBay Inc.

All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective

Curly
02-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Phil that one actually looks legit. It does have the ebay.com in it. Even though its cgi3.ebay.com it is still an ebay site and part of their service.

FalconGuy016
02-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Yes that looks like a real one (links to ebay)

xen_100
02-27-2003, 12:28 PM
he he......that means you didn't pay your ebay bill....they are ttrying to collect :p

magman007
02-27-2003, 12:54 PM
hahahaha the irony! when he actually isnt being scammed! hehehehe phil pay your e-bay bill!

Phil
02-27-2003, 03:20 PM
:eek:

cphilip
02-27-2003, 04:04 PM
yea that one is legit! I had to redo mine recently too cause I had changed my card on there and it wasn't in thier system to pay the fee's from. It's a seperate account place to were you had told them to charge the seller fee's too and it had not been updated.

Jack & Coke
02-27-2003, 04:20 PM
From: http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/2007847/detail.html

Alleged Ski Thieves Nabbed Through eBay
Police Say Victim Saw His Boards On Internet Site

POSTED: 8:48 a.m. EST February 27, 2003

CONCORD, N.H. -- Police in Massachusetts say they have nabbed a pair of young men who were selling skis stolen from New Hampshire resorts.They caught the two when a victim spied his stolen boards for sale on e-Bay.

Brett Henderson of Newburyport, Mass., and Robert West, of Boston, are each charged with three counts of receiving stolen property. Police said the two 21-year-olds were selling skis stolen at the Guncstock, Waterville Valley, Cannon and Loon ski areas.

They think the pair netted about $5,200 through 17 e-Bay transactions since January. Neither Henderson or West immediately returned phone calls. A man who identified himself as Henderson's father says the news comes as a shock since he thought his son was running a legitimate operation.

The scheme fell apart after the alleged victim successfully bid for the skis and picked them up at Henderson's house, while two officers watched.