PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing Vs. Powder Coating????

SingleShotGabe
02-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Which is better Anodizing or Powder Coating? And Why?

This is what I want to get done...I want to change the color of my black "AIR AMERICA VIGILANTE" regulator to a Red finish...Does anyone know of a great place where I can get it Anodized Or Powder Coated...

Many Thanks In Advanced !!!

Mossman
02-28-2003, 01:45 AM
For something like a reg that has many threads, and you hold on to all the time, I think annodizing is the better option. Unfortunately getting just 1 part done is very expensive and probably not worth going ahead with. Your best bet is to look around for people who are getting their markers annoed, and ask if you can toss your reg in with their batch. It probably wouldn't cost them any more $, so if they're nice it'll be free or close to free.

If you want powdercoating, KP custom or PK selectives does it for a good price. I can't remember which one and it's too late to research, but I Know of them will do mag bodies for 10 bucks + shipping, so you're reg should be in that same league. Warning, the finish on your reg will not match your red gun (if your red parts were annoed). It will look more like a high quality and hard spray paint job than metal that is colored.

GOOD DAY!

Xerces
02-28-2003, 11:06 AM
yea, i would get it anno'd. but mossman is right, it isn't very cheap and only doing one peice seems like a waste. wait untill you get all the peices you want on your setup and get them all anno'd at once, it will be cheaper than one at a time, and the color will match perfectly.

powdercoating is nice as well, but it is usually for parts that arent aluminum. i've had very good expiriences with Ken at KP customs, he does an excellent job.

BobTheCow
02-28-2003, 11:15 AM
Okay I've always been confused about this, and this looks like the right thread to ask in: what is the difference between anno and powdercoating? Does it depend on what material is being changed?

Ultimator
02-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Bob, I know that Annodizing is ONLY for aluminum, and when you annodize something, you are changing the composition of the aluminum. You're oxidizing it, if I remember correctly, it's sort of like when something rusts. I think you pass electricity through the water which the aluminum is in, which opens up the pores of the metal. Then the dye comes in and fills the pores so when you seal it, the alumninum is a different color. Then again I could be completely wrong :). I know nothing about powdercoating.

As for where to get the reg annodized: Check the link in my sig (click the Xtreme Paintball logo) and go into the forums and ask Barry how much it would cost to get that annoed.

BobTheCow
02-28-2003, 11:27 AM
lol thanks Ultimator. Actually, now that you mention it I think I've heard something like that before, so you couldn't be COMPLETELY wrong...unless we had the same "source." :rolleyes:

Mossman
02-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Yes, you're pretty right. You run current through an acid/water solution, and the other side of the current is your piece of metal. I don't get how it works on a chemical level, but the acid promotes the growing of an aluminum oxide film that's actually a part of the metal. It is sort of light colored and porous. Then you dip the part in hot water/dye until it is a desired shade, and putting the part in cold water for a while will seal the pores.

I tried this once with a few AOers and failed, but I think i get it now so once it warms up we'll try....and succeed :)

ezrunner
02-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Annodizing grows a layer of honeycomb like material from the aluminum surface.

This is done in an electrolytic chemical reaction. The surface of the resulting stratum has pores that will trap dye particulate. Then you steam or wash it with hot water to seal these pores.

If an anno fades or gest spotchy this last part was not done right.

-rob

SingleShotGabe
03-01-2003, 12:49 AM
Well this sucks....I have all the parts I need and in the perfect color...All I need is my Vigilante in red.....how much could it possible cost me? More Or Less???

banzaimf
03-01-2003, 01:45 AM
side note, you can anno Titanium too.