PDA

View Full Version : My PB injury: Before and After

Miscue
03-02-2003, 07:22 PM
As some of you may remember... I broke my femur playing paintball a year and a half ago. I had my last surgery this Wednesday, getting the hardware removed.

Broken leg XRay:

Miscue
03-02-2003, 07:23 PM
Rod installed:

Miscue
03-02-2003, 07:24 PM
At the knee:

Miscue
03-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Removed Hardware:

Miscue
03-02-2003, 07:25 PM
&nbsp

Coaster
03-02-2003, 07:26 PM
wow.. that looks like it was damn painful. I guess you getting off of that equipment is a good sign :)

AllAmericanMag
03-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Wow, that was one broken leg....
I think you should make that rod into a Drop Forward or something :D Just a suggestion.

Miscue
03-02-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Coaster
wow.. that looks like it was damn painful. I guess you getting off of that equipment is a good sign :)

Painful? Yup, sure was! I spared everyone pics of the fresh incisions... they're kinda nasty. :)

Skoad
03-02-2003, 07:36 PM
thanks for censoring the 2nd pic ;)

RTMAGBOY13
03-02-2003, 07:51 PM
owwwwwww that had to hurt ahhhh it makes me feel woosy

cphilip
03-02-2003, 08:05 PM
I bid $5 on that rod. I need me a Mag pump rod! :D

Speedy recovery here by wished for Brian.

You guys remember that it was Miscues broken leg that ended up me being Temp Admin? Yea thats is exatly what happened. Well the short version of it sort of. So... I owe this all to him. (hmmmm now me wants to break his other leg!) :eek:

magsRus
03-02-2003, 08:09 PM
man that has to be the coolest thing i've seen in a while.

Russ
03-02-2003, 08:11 PM
OUCH!

Definitely been a long ordeal. Best wishes to you, Brian.

warpfeedmod
03-02-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by AllAmericanMag
Wow, that was one broken leg....
I think you should make that rod into a Drop Forward or something :D Just a suggestion.

now that would be damn cool. Make it into a drop or something like maybe a straight-shot squeege? hehe. Sight rail anyone? Maybe a fore-grip?

jokes aside glad you got recovered. I don't believe I Was around or posting that often when you first broke it, can I ask what happend and how has it affected your furture in paintball?

ChucktheMAGician
03-02-2003, 08:32 PM
Seems like a painful experience but at least you got to keep the rod and pins. When I was coming to after having my wisdom teeth removed I asked where they were and they told me that they just broke them up! That was upsetting but then they started laughing at me:mad: :rolleyes: :D

rdb123
03-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
As some of you may remember... I broke my femur playing paintball a year and a half ago. I had my last surgery this Wednesday, getting the hardware removed.

Broken leg XRay:

Could you elaborate on how you broke it? =\

-Ron

i like tictacs
03-02-2003, 09:18 PM
I'm going in on tuesday to have pins and screws put in my collarbone. I'll report back...hehehe

BTAutoMag
03-02-2003, 10:01 PM
yea i think that i joined like right after that happened. what happened?

InfinatyBPS
03-02-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Skoad
thanks for censoring the 2nd pic ;)

lol, i don't think he censored it quite enough:p

BTAutoMag
03-02-2003, 10:13 PM
whats so bad about the 2nd pic... weak stomach?

IcantBelieveit
03-02-2003, 10:19 PM
i think he "nads" are showing or something? :confused:

BTAutoMag
03-02-2003, 10:39 PM
oooooooo

I see (or rather dont see) it now

didnt want that extra bone in there:)

StuDawggie
03-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Miscue,
Congrats on getting the rod removed. I cover for the OR x-ray techs at an orthopedic based hospital and get to see that kind of work done about 2-6 times a week. You're lucky that the docs were confident enough in the healing of your leg that they felt it was safe to remove it. The patients I'm dealing with usually don't get hardware like that removed, but then again, they if they break their femur, it's usually a multiple fractue. Anyway, congrats on the hardware removal, and hopefully now you won't get stopped by airport security anymore. (Those rods can set off the metal detectors. I've seen it happen).

Miscue
03-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Thanks Stu. Yeah, it was about as clean of a break as it gets... the best way to break it as I was told. The surgeon I got was the "best" in town - he specializes on sports injury and is the go to guy when top college athletes get hurt. He had never done a "paintball" injury before, and gained interest in my case... partly due to the uniqueness of the situation... and the weird way I managed to break it.

I snapped it like a twig, with a lot of leverage created by my own body weight. My surgeon explained the pros/cons of removing the rod, and I opted to have it removed. He said that, if I ever was in an accident or something, my leg would not break at the femur because it would be too strong... but rather at the hip/socket. And this is a horribly worse thing to happen. So basically I had it removed as a precaution. And like you said... small hardware they normally leave in, but this is not small.

The old thread that explains what happened:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5076&highlight=miscue+back

joeyjoe367
03-02-2003, 11:17 PM
Ooooh! I want to see fresh incisions!! ;)

Heal up fast there 'cue

FooTemps
03-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Yay, you got it out finally... Hope you get better soon Q

Collegeboy
03-03-2003, 12:03 AM
I know what you went through man. During football pratice in high school I hit my friend on the thigh and broke his femer (Not on purpose of course). It made the most good aweful crack I have ever heard. It took him a year and a half to recover from that, it was terrible. (and he was our starting center)

HungSolo
03-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Good idea to get the rod out. I do this stuff for a living, and would recommend anyone active to have a rod removed for the reasons you stated. We put in about 10 a week at the hospital here, but only remove 1-2 a month! These rods are titanium, and are very unlikely to set off a metal detector in an airport, especially buried in your thigh.

Miscue
03-03-2003, 12:29 AM
I walked through several metal detectors, never having a problem. Although, I always carried a laminated card from my doctor that noted my leg hardware... in case of a problem. Never used it.

PsychoBaller
03-03-2003, 02:08 AM
that sux man, good thing ur all better now, unlike myself. At the NEIC Invitational Tourny hosted at West Point on this past Saturday, during one of my last games for Rutgers, I landed on one of the spikes holding down the bunkers in the snow. My knee has been swollen like a grapefruit since then. Better be better by Tues. practice.

~da baller

raehl
03-03-2003, 02:58 AM
I don't think the picture is censored - I think they put lead over the important parts when they xray you. I know *I'D* sure insist on having lead over the important parts.

As for the rod, it's highly unlikely to set off the metal detectors. My gf has two of them running the length of her back due to scholiosis and the metal detectors have never picked it up. Titanium isn't ferro-magnetic.

- Chris

Will Wood
03-03-2003, 10:11 AM
OOh, fun. Now lets hope that an infection doesn't eat through your skin and muscle and reaveal a nice infected area and some bone. That was quite a shock for me lol, I had a cast on for a few months after getting my rod put down my left leg.... Then cut off the cast.. hehe.. mom fainted. Doc's like Uh-oh. And I have no idea what's going on. I didn't get to see it unfortuantly, to paintfull to bend in a position would I could see just a little below my knee. I heard it was pretty nasty lol.

dre1919
03-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Damn 'cue...that looks like that hurt a lot! Congrats on getting the rod removed...hope you make a complete recovery and best wishes for the future.

Brak
03-03-2003, 03:42 PM
i dont mean any disrespect, but thats AWESOME!!!!!

hitech
03-03-2003, 03:51 PM
ooooooooooooch! Man that's gota hurt. I'm curious, how did you do that playing paintball?

FalconGuy016
03-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Will Wood
OOh, fun. Now lets hope that an infection doesn't eat through your skin and muscle and reaveal a nice infected area and some bone. That was quite a shock for me lol, I had a cast on for a few months after getting my rod put down my left leg.... Then cut off the cast.. hehe.. mom fainted. Doc's like Uh-oh. And I have no idea what's going on. I didn't get to see it unfortuantly, to paintfull to bend in a position would I could see just a little below my knee. I heard it was pretty nasty lol.

omg will... I feel bad, did you not notice that happening when you had the cast (pain)?!? I would have been scared to death if I saw my BONE through my (gone)skin and muscle.

Miscue, what a bad break, glad you are recovered. How did you do it?

(it looks like they didnt cover your... parts very well :), I may be seeing wrong though)