PDA

View Full Version : All multi bore users!!! .... Barrel sizer sizes...

madmatt151
03-03-2003, 01:26 AM
Hey I was just wondering what size inserts or backs you guys typically use the most. I am looking into a equation barrel system and can't really afford to get all the inserts. I also know that I won't be using most of them. What is your suggestions, here are my choices:

.681 .683 .685 .687 .689 .691 .693

I think the .681 and .683 are too small for my LX, correct?

Also, I could get the size backs instead, but they only come in three sizes:

.686 .688 .690

The backs are $28 each, while the inserts are $22 each, plus I would have to buy a back anyway to hold them. Seems as if the pre honed backs are a bit cheaper, even I bougth all three.

What would you guys suggest? Thanks!

PsychoBaller
03-03-2003, 05:17 AM
The LX bolt is supposedly a bore of .686

So you would not be able to use anything smaller. I personally (with my Scepter Kit- doesnt have availible Mag backs yet) use the bores of .688, .690, and .692 excellently.

Many people with Edge Kits say the LX won't go in their .686 or lower backs.... so I would talk to Load or Oldsoldier about it, since they have those kits which have set bore backs.

~da baller

Smokee_2_7
03-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Dude, using the small inserts on the equation system ARE FINE with your level 10 bolt.

Here's why:

unlike the equation barrel systems for other markers, the setup for the automag loads the inserts from the FRONT of the back peice. Now, the inserts have a definite 'front'end and 'back' end.

The back end of the insert is slightly ramped into the bore. Here's how this is a good thing (especially for the mag design.)

The insert does NOT go all the way to the back of the twist lock area - - you have the twist lok breech area, and the place where your nubbins protude, and THEN the insert starts. The pre-insert area is big enough to accomidate the size of the LX bolt. Because the initial 'chamber' where the ball falls is potentiall larger than the diameter of the insert, one would think that there would be a 'step' or an edge that the ball would have to overcome, especially while using a smaller bore insert. This is a problem I have noticed while using the freak system.

The tapered design on the back of the teflon-coated, stainless inserts lets the ball get from the breech area into the actual barrel without any problems. THE DESIGN WORKS!!

WE got in an automag bizerk setup for of my teamates a week before mardi gras. I was kinda wondering about the whole 'lip' thing, and the kit working well with smaller inserts. It does. He never chopped a ball during the tournamnent, and shot darts the whole time. For reference, we sized the inferno that we were shooting at about a .683

With good paint properly matched to it, the equation systems are definitly worth the money.

Now, as far as which inserts to get, i always say go with a small, med and large for starters. You can fill in the gaps later.

as far as the most common size, there really isnt one. most people say .689, but our field paint at work is a .685- - - it will roll out of the 'normal' size barrel. Very rarely have I ever seen paint smaller than .682, except for one batch of diablo that ran .679.

I would say, go with .685, .689, and .692.

that will get you in there for most paints.

Carl

madmatt151
03-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Man, Carl you said a mouthful I appreciate it. I am glad ot hear opinions from someonw who has used the system. I like the asthetics of the system as well as the functionality of it. I will strongly consider these sizes.

Smokee_2_7
03-03-2003, 07:27 PM
No problem. I try to help out when I can.

I have noticing that many of my posts get pretty legnthy and thorough- - -but then again, look at my post count: ive been a member since november of 2000 (well, actually before that. I was around on automags.org before AGD took over)

I try to only respond to threads when I feel like I have somthing to say, and I usually say as much as I can. I've noticed (when others reply to my questions with 'books') that's it IS very helpful when someone gives you a ton of info- - many times they answer questions that you may not have even thought of, but nevertheless definitly benefit from knowing the answer. Over the past couple of years it's helped me make some more informed purchasing decisions, as well as learning MUCH more about my paintball markers. Dang i love AO!!

Carl

madmatt151
03-03-2003, 11:29 PM
I must agree. In real life I am a "cough" talkative person, and i see it being true here. The fact is information is good and that is what this forum is for. Thanks again.