PDA

View Full Version : Shatnerball Agenda: My Spyder arrived.

Star_Base_CGI
03-03-2003, 10:51 AM
My Spyder arrived for Shatnerball.

Here my thoughts so far.

Pros.
Thick Body.
Screw in interchangable barrel.
Adjustable lockable Tournament adjuster anodized.
Bolt appears somewhat smooth, may polish.
LIght double trigger.
Good weight, okay ballance. Not great.
Good finish, very minor flaws. Not easy to spot.
Drop forward.
Cheap and affordable, lots of parts available.
Rubber Grip
Clear connector with solid screws.
Came in a compact foam box could be reused.
Barrel is ported.

Cons.
Okay its obviously not a mag.
Handle is plastic, want to replace with Blue Sprint eframe. (Need a job.)
Could use longer barrel?

Made in Taiwan. WHich is okay but not great. Taiwan is independent of China and an allied trader with the US but still in Asia.

This was a good purchase time for me because with war looming the possibility exists for the supply of these to end. Very soon. This was not easy to get but a good price. $69 plus shipping. I had to contact alot of places to get one ordered. ABout 7.

Mossman
03-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Oh! That's what a spyder is? I've been waiting for years, YEARS for someone to tell me what a spyder is all about. Mysterious and hard to catch creatures they are :)

Hehe, just joshin, looks nice, and you got it for a good price it seems. Enjoy it, maybe after shatnerball you'll realize you're getting lit up too much to not save for a mag :)

=Sam

LaW
03-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Please, Please, and I mean Please say this is a joke :)

lol :p

In the event it isn't a joke, or an attempt at humor I apologize.

spazzed
03-03-2003, 12:03 PM
rotfl... Law my man, this is not a joke ;)

Star_Base_CGI
03-03-2003, 12:06 PM
No offense, this is what I could afford and want.

It is better than some rental cocker or something that has been fired 89,000 times and packed full of paint.

I can upgrade it!
See you at Shatnerball!

digitard
03-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Spyders aren't bad first guns, they allow you to have a decent marker with possibilities that will get you familiarized with how the guns work, maintaining, etc so that when you decide its time for a higher end marker you wont be firing blind, you'll have a good idea of what you want, dont want and what you really enjoy.

Hope you like your marker ... now start savin' for an Xmag

:)

Dave

LaW
03-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Star_Base_CGI
No offense, this is what I could afford and want.

It is better than some rental cocker or something that has been fired 89,000 times and packed full of paint.

I can upgrade it!
See you at Shatnerball!

Congrats on your purchase than!!!
Just the way some of it was written led me to believe it was more of an attempt at being funny.
for example the comments on Taiwan and the economy.

But I agree, a spyder is a great first makrer and for that price you can't go wrong! See ya at shatnerball!!!

Patron God of Pirates
03-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Buying a cheep gun going into a long scenario game I would have recommended a Tippmann. The odds of a Spyder crapping out on you are just higher.

I would play with it a few times, put a few hundred rounds through it. Get to a chrono and make sure you aren't shooting hot (over 300 fps). The springs in Spyders often need to be cut to get them in the green.

Make sure you bring an alan wrench and a parts kit to Shatnerball. There is a very good chance you won't have any problems at all, but with Spyders it's better safe than sorry. Everyone I play with that has owned a Spyder has broken it (or it broke on them).

personman
03-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Yea, I would have reccomended a tippmann.. or for that price you could have gotten a black dragun compact which is electric, or for about 20-30 dollars more one of those low end spyder electrics.. but its a nice gun!

Star_Base_CGI
03-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the great comments.

Yes I know as being a member of the forum I am required to save for a Mag. I want a CNC body and I would like to see Tom Get some CNC equipment and have contests for the best CNC! I need a job! LOL! I need 2 jobs!

The Spyder came with a spare parts kit and an allen wrench. I have a allen wrench took from Pep Boys for my Bike which is also from Taiwan. If you have not seen these its a multi tool with ten Metric Allens. They also make one with 10 SAEs.

The gun does not feel like a it will poop out on me. It feels very sturday. There is a spring rail this is plastic.

The one thing that I did not like is the trigger blocked reinsertion of the bolt. I had to drop the trigger a little bit to get it back in.

Thanks again from all of you, AGD members!

gibby
03-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Careful folks! SBC is a Shatner spy! Hehe...Just messin with ya. I hope you enjoy it!!:D

BarryTolar
03-03-2003, 01:46 PM
I just got one of those running for a guy that plays with us (cup seal issue)

I thought it was a good little marker.

Does need a new trigger frame though.

Oh and make sure you have a spare cup seal with you at ALL times.

Barry

joeyjoe367
03-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Ah, I fondly remember my days of shooting a spyder... oh wait forget the "fondly" part ;)

Honestly, all these guys are hasslin' ya about your spyder breakin' but I don't think that it's that big of a deal. I played with a spyder compact 2000 for a couple of years, and never had to replace anything except tank o-rings.

Personally, I would have gotten a pirhanna (it's basically a spyder with all the quirks worked out: flush 'cocking, inline bottomline screws for drop forward compatability, etc...) but for the price you paid, that's deff. not a bad deal at all.

a spring-kit is deffinatly something you want to invest in unless you decide to get an inline regulator. It'll help you keep your velocities safe.

Most importantly, I'd say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"

waaaay too many times I'd screwed up my 'gun from taking it apart, etc.. .when it didn't need to. If it's working, leave it that way ;)

WARPED1
03-03-2003, 02:39 PM
CGI is a good guy and an online friend of mine from over on williamshatner.com(where I'm WARPED4EVA!).I'm sure someday he'll upgrade to a mag of some sort,someday.Give him time to see the light!LOL.

Tom Sparkman
03-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Star_Base_CGI
This was a good purchase time for me because with war looming the possibility exists for the supply of these to end. Very soon.

Huh? Do you want to amplify that remark? Is someone planning on attaching Taiwan?

Tom :)

FalconGuy016
03-03-2003, 03:27 PM
No, just a ton of things wont be getting through our borders

I always wanted an agressor :) and sure is a nice price

edit: you know that a longer barrel does not equal more accuracy? I just say that because you thought you might need a longer barrel. No, you just need a BETTER barrel, but I would consider the frame a more important goal unless the stock barrel breaks balls (unlikely, but some may be flawed that way)

Natray
03-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Congratulations on finding a marker in your price range. I'm sure you'll have fun I know I did when I first got my spyder. But I'm one of those people Patron was talking about. My spyder broke on me so many times. I had almost everything jerry rigged just so I could keep it shooting. But there is an upside to getting a spyder before a mag…… YOU WILL LOVE SHOOTING YOUR MAG EVEN MORE! I know I did. Have fun at Shatnerball and good luck on finding a job.

Star_Base_CGI
03-03-2003, 06:32 PM
China has expressed intrest in taking Taiwan. Since we import alot of goods there it would increase their stance in the export of cheap crummy products.

DYE-BaLLeR
03-03-2003, 08:31 PM
cons
its a spyder

deathstalker
03-03-2003, 09:34 PM
I've had nothing but good experiences with my Spyders and still prefer to use my Xtra over my Autococker and MiniMag (and others). Why? It has never, ever, EVER let me down on the field. This is not something I can say about my other markers.

I can also get a nice ROF from my Hyperframe.:D

WARPED1
03-03-2003, 09:43 PM
I'd prefer a Piranha,but a Spyder is a good starter gun.

TooDamnSweet
03-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Congrats on your marker Star_Base!!!! Let us know how it goes when you break it in.

Star_Base_CGI
03-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks!

shartley
03-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Yes, as was stated, Spyders are NOT bad markers. They are a great first marker, and can last you a long time. My household has 2 of them and has never have had a problem with either of them. They are a fantastic marker for the price.

But like was stated, you will want to get a spring kit. Not only are Spyders known to shoot hot if you don’t watch it, but they are very sensitive to outside temps. You may find that when you crono in the morning you are fine, but then come noon or early afternoon, you will be shooting hot. Keep those springs handy and crono in the morning and just after noon to make sure.

Have fun! :D

Star_Base_CGI
03-05-2003, 04:11 PM
http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/tomspyder.jpg

Mossman
03-05-2003, 04:29 PM
That's not interesting, that's Tom holding up someones gun for a picture. Great guy, he does it all the time :)

shartley
03-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Tom also collects markers....

the123
03-05-2003, 07:07 PM
The person who made that conversion also does Mags. He's put Hyperframes on them to make them more realistic(fast shooting).

Star_Base_CGI
03-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Thats a pretty nice spyder.

You think he would trade me?

IcantBelieveit
03-05-2003, 08:13 PM
china ha always expressed intrest in taking taiwan, its an old subject. Has been for several years. War doesn't really have much to do with the agressor. chances are it was already in the country. I find your whole post wierd for some reason