PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Hits... Out or not?

cdawg
03-03-2003, 12:18 PM
This weekend I was doin some mad woods-ballin and I shot one person out in a scenario game in the barrel. Another, I shot in the barrel in speedball. The question is, since a barrel hit can't really be as big as a quarter, should they count? Both of these shots were intended to hit the barrel, and the paintball clearly busted on the barrel. BTW, the AO Megameet in Dallas is going to be AWESOME.

Also, in case you were wondering where the mad accuracy came from, it was a tunamag w/ 16" Boomy, shooting Worr Competition Paint. The first shot was from ~15 yards and the second was from about 10 yards.

digitard
03-03-2003, 12:19 PM
I think it should be out yet ... in a "true to life" scenario if you somehow hit a barrel on a weapon its going to disable the weapon, so technically I think you should be out. It probably would of hit them anyhow.

Sincerely,
Dave K

LaW
03-03-2003, 12:26 PM
The marker is an extension of your body, the barrel is part of your marker... therefore if you get hit in the barrel it is the same as getting hit on your marker therefore you are out :) The hit being as big as a quarter is more of a guideline for questionable hits. If a pball clearly hits someones barrel there is no question , he is out.

However that is hard to judge since the paint could be from barrel breaks oozing out but oftend its easy to tell the difference

TheTramp
03-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by LaW
The hit being as big as a quarter is more of a guideline for questionable hits. If a pball clearly hits someones barrel there is no question , he is out.

I completely agree with this.

boomerfoxtrot
03-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Yes, I think you should be out also...

the only problem with barrel hits..... is, if you are playing tight on a bunker, and paint is flying all over the place, it would be hard for a ref to call hit, or splatter...

when I'm reffing, if there is no splatter on the person, or marker, and I see it on his barrel... he's hit.... but if I can't tell forsure if it's a hit or not, then I check his gun, and him.. if he is gettn' splattered, then I let it go as splatter....

but to answer for question... yes, a barrel hit counts.... a mask hit does....

manike
03-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Definitely out. I've purposely shot tips of barrels before and it all counts.

On a similar note, I've actually been shot DOWN the barrel.

I went to squeegie think it was strange to have broken a ball and then saw that the paint was green inside the tip of my barrel (and just a smidgen had sprayed over the gun) when I was shooting blue inferno :)

I took the barrel off and the first 6 inches inside from the tip back were all green down just one side!

cphilip
03-03-2003, 01:02 PM
NPPL says: ...or the players equipment...

Marker and it's barrel = equipment

YOUR out! ;)

But it depends on who's rules your playing by...some small field during rec play have different rules that do not include hits on equipment including markers.

cphilip
03-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by manike

Happened to me too! I didn't figure it out till after the game was over but I was technicaly playing on and didn't know it.

Darkstorm
03-03-2003, 02:55 PM
They are out for sure. In the last MXS scenario, I shot 4 people in the barrel and had two barrel tags on the barrel. (3 barrel shots and a BT on the barrel were all at one bunker with the ref standing right there.)

xen_100
03-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Definitely out. I've purposely shot tips of barrels before and it all counts.

I went to squeegie think it was strange to have broken a ball and then saw that the paint was green inside the tip of my barrel (and just a smidgen had sprayed over the gun) when I was shooting blue inferno :)

I took the barrel off and the first 6 inches inside from the tip back were all green down just one side!

lol....I love that......I have had that happen to me twice......once from a guy with a phantom. shot a ball straigh up my barrel. I felt a slight impact, but saw no paint on the gun or me.....next shot cause out a kinda white/green spray.(I was shooting gator marbs) squeegied out to find white and green paint in the barrel all the way up to the breech. made quite a mess.

halB
03-03-2003, 04:05 PM
barrel hits are so easy to call!!! they make such a loud sound when they get hit, like a bell being hit.

as was said, the quarter rule is really for spray. if its an obvious hit, its an obvious hit. the quarter rule is for hits ur not sure on and for keeping people from staying in a spot where theyre getting splattered to heck

cdawg
03-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Ok I see where yall are coming from... My question is do you think it should be legal not IS it legal. BUT what if you barrel tag someone on their own barrel (you physicall touch their barrel with your barrel). Who gets the kill?

manike
03-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Yes it should count as an elimination.

If you touch their barrel with yours you get the elimination... and vica versa...

CpSuPeRkId
03-03-2003, 06:32 PM
If you touch their barrel with yours you get the elimination... and vica versa... since when was there a rule for sword fighting??? lol jj. but seriously, there is an elimnation rule for actually touching barrels???? i find that really strange and have never heard of that in all the years ive been playing. how do u actually judge that??? sounds ghetto to me.

manike
03-03-2003, 06:36 PM
It's not about touching barrels.

There is an 'old skool' code of honour that if someone touches you with the tip of the barrel then you are eliminated without them having to shoot you. It's from the sneaky days of play.

It doesn't count in tourneys etc. it's more of a big game/ scenario game thing.

Over here if you touched someone with your barrel then you would be out and they would still be in since you are not allowed to make 'physical contact'. Same in tournies...

cdawg
03-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Hahaha sword fighting i love it... Pretty soon ppl gonna have bayonettes on their guns like me. see my talon thread to see what i'm talkin bout :D

Lakeview Bulldog
03-03-2003, 11:11 PM
I hate it when my friends argue about what constitutes a hit and what doesnt. I'm about the only serious baller in my area so when I go to play woods ball they try to enforce a bunch of ghetto rules like "Double Hits" and "Kill Shots". And on the same note as the barrel touch, I've heard of guys getting into hand-to-hand in the old days. Those guys really were crazy.

shartley
03-04-2003, 06:37 AM
It's not about touching barrels.

There is an 'old skool' code of honour that if someone touches you with the tip of the barrel then you are eliminated without them having to shoot you. It's from the sneaky days of play.

It doesn't count in tourneys etc. it's more of a big game/ scenario game thing.

Over here if you touched someone with your barrel then you would be out and they would still be in since you are not allowed to make 'physical contact'. Same in tournies...
Very well said. I was wondering if anyone would point this out.

In standard play, it is often easier to shoot them while running up anyways. You don’t want to give them the chance to possibly turn around and shoot YOU. And with “no contact” rules, it makes barrel tags obsolete (again unless the field being played on allows it).

I have never either been barrel tagged or done so myself. To me, it is kind of silly given we are using equipment that can reach out and touch them from a distance. ;)

But as for barrel hits being eliminations…. I agree with what has already been posted. Unless you play on a field that does not count marker hits as eliminations (and there are fields like that out there…. And I have played on one such field. In my opinion they only foster bad habits, such as leaving your marker in the open.) any hit, with paint breaking, is an elimination. You have to hope the other player is honest though, or there is a good ref there to distinguish between spray and a “hit”.

Darkstorm
03-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Shartley -> "I have never either been barrel tagged or done so myself. To me, it is kind of silly given we are using equipment that can reach out and touch them from a distance."

In a scenario there is plenty of time you don't want to shoot someone. In the last game, more than 50% of my eliminations were from barrel tags or politely asking someone to call themselves out. No sense in shooting someone up from 10-15' feet with an xvalve/intelli combo when I don't have to.

shartley
03-04-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Darkstorm
Shartley -> "I have never either been barrel tagged or done so myself. To me, it is kind of silly given we are using equipment that can reach out and touch them from a distance."

In a scenario there is plenty of time you don't want to shoot someone. In the last game, more than 50% of my eliminations were from barrel tags or politely asking someone to call themselves out. No sense in shooting someone up from 10-15' feet with an xvalve/intelli combo when I don't have to.
Actually like I said, I have never come across a situation that I did not want to shoot someone. ;) When you say there is plenty of times you don’t want to shoot someone in a scenario game… you mean just that .. “YOU”, not me, not someone else.. but you. ;)

As for no sense in shooting someone from 10-15 feet with an x-valve/intelli combo… LOL You mean to tell me that 280-290 FPS shot out of a Spyder, a Pump Marker, or an x-valve/intelli combo feels different? Who cares what your setup is? I don’t, and neither does a paintball. If you can’t control yourself at 15 feet that is an issue you may want to work on. ;)

I am glad that in your last game more than 50% of your eliminations were from barrel tags or politely asking someone to call themselves out… but I will maintain that in normal Rec Play as well as Tournament Play, there simply just isn’t the time to do so… and it is either them or you. If you want to take that chance… great! But for me, I will use a bit of self control and still shoot them out.

I stand by my post. ;)

Fatjon
03-04-2003, 05:41 PM
OUT :rolleyes:

ß.C.
03-04-2003, 09:50 PM
digitard - hitting a gun in the barrel does not mean you disable it :) you just screw it up that you can pretty much say it's broken :P it'll still shoot though.

Anyways they should be out.

aaron_mag
03-05-2003, 02:04 AM
At Skirmish in PA marker hits do not count. I didn't think it was a good thing, however, because there should be some risk in exposing yourself while firing. I've played speedball at some places where we play marker hits (including hoppers) don't count. This makes it very difficult to eliminate those pesky back players.

Marker eliminations definetely make the game more challenging. Without them the game starts to become pathetic paintslinging contests. I'm not a good snap shooter myself (as I play speedball infrequently) but I can admire that it does take skill to snap shoot effectively!