PDA

View Full Version : After owning over 14 markers, my thoughts and opinions on them (long)

paint magnet
03-03-2003, 09:40 PM
To start off with, I'll list all the markers I've owned and then go into depth about what I liked/disliked about them.
(listed in order)

Tippmann 98 Custom
32 degrees PT Extreme
Tippmann SL-68 II
Brass Eagle Stingray
CCI Phantom
Smart Parts Impulse
Sheridan PGP
Sheridan P68-AT
WGP 2001 Autococker
AGD .68 Automag
WDP 2002 LCD Angel
WGP 97 minicocker
Palmer's Pursuit Shop Stroker
WGP 2000 Autococker

Alright, might as well go in order-

Tippmann 98 Custom. My first gun, it got me into paintball. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to it's reputation of being reliable (and this was BEFORE I fired it underwater :rolleyes: :D , but that's another story). When it worked it was awesome for what it was, a gun with a plastic powertube. That being said, it was rather accurate with my DYE ultralight, though i didn't have much to compare it to at the time other than a Spyder. I poured way too much money into it, as was the case with most of my guns, and it failed me. But man, it had the sweetest trigger I've ever felt, about a 2mm pull, ultra light and crisp with a Psycho ballistics trigger. Unfortunately pulling the trigger would fire then keep double firing and chopping even after you released it.
Would NOT buy again.

32 degrees PT Extreme- my sig should give you a hint on this one. Again, an awesome design, very cool and all the newbs will want to shoot it. Never really found a use for it, and I converted it to a bottomline. Had velocity and bolt stick problems from the start. Would NOT buy again.

Tippmann SL-68 II. Great little pump. I bought one used as a rental after 7 years. It always shot well, although had low velocity problems, probably being due to the fact it was 7 years old. Always performed well. Great if you're starting out in pump. Reasonably accurate, autotrigger, a little on the heavy side but a solid built and well performing marker. WOULD buy again.

Brass Eagle Stingray- I traded a $ 20 airsoft gun for this. It shot alright, and although I never did anything to it it always worked. Reasonably light. Loud as hell, slow firing and inaccurate due to the 3" barrel and hard plastic trigger. I also hated the backbottle design. The quick field strip ability is nice, and it has some good points for a marker in it's price range. It would make a decent beginner gun though, and with some work it makes an OK backup gun for a Spyder or something. Would not buy agian, but if you can get one cheap go for it.

CCI Phantom-Lightweight, dead on accurate, effecient, light pump stroke, fast, AWESOME customer service, good looks... WOULD definately buy this agian. Still kicking myself for selling it because of inaccuracy due to bad paint/barrel match.

Smart Parts Impulse-I traded for it broken, so I can't say much about it. I liked the way it felt, and everyone that has owned one that I know of has thoroughly enjoyed theirs.
WOULD buy again.

Sheridan PGP- great pump pistol, awesome stock class gun (if you're serious about stock you'll need a quickchanger and speedloader). A little on the heavy side for it's size, but accurate, effecient and solidly built. Pump stroke is a little stiff, but the feeling you get when playing with this old pumper can't be beat. WOULD buy again. If you play front, get PPS to make you one into a stroker and you'll have the best gun you can get :)

Sheridan P-68 AT- bigger direct feed brother of the PGP. I liked it almost as well as the PGP. Shot rather well, but limited options. Was great for it's time though. Buy one if you can find it for a reasonable price. It's very accurate, but the pump stroke is awful due to the 3 huge orings on the bolt. I might buy it again, but I'd probably have it converted it into a stroker.

2001 Autococker- problems from the start, although when it was working it was awesome. I could really rip on it. WOULD buy agian, but do a lot of things like upgrading differently and not screw it up next time.

AGD .68 Automag- went to AO day and wondered how I was getting gogged by people shooting mags. I thought the cocker had better range since there weren't any mags at my field. ANyway, that changed my mind and I traded for a mag. Works awesome, love the dedication to the customer as well as the design of the gun. WOULD buy again in a heartbeat.

WDP 2002 LCD Angel- Rather large, but I play back so no biggie. Very reliable, almost as much so as the Automag, but with a certain degree of class to it. Very nice marker, although slightly overpriced. Shoots well, relatively effecient, very fast, accurate, and lots of nice features. WOULD buy again, although consider other options first. You won't regret getting one though.

97 Minicocker- didn't work when I got it, so I traded it with some money for a Stroker. Might buy agian, only if it's working well though.

PPS Stroker- awesome. Amazingly accurate. Looked great, shot even better. Awesome service too. Even ran CO2 fine. WOULD definately buy again, worth every penny. Should never have let this one go.

2000 Cocker- just like the other cocker's I've had, it works well then gives trouble (usually my fault). Just doens't seem like the gun for me, took me 3 times to realize that.:rolleyes: Wouldn't buy agian

Anyway, please excuse the errors, I'm typing this really fast and please feel free to post comments.

The markers I currently own are:

WDP 2002 CnC LCD Angel

AGD .68 Automag

WGP 2k right feed cocker

If you are like thousands of other painballers looking to upgrade from a blowback or something to a good midrange gun and are torn between the mag and the cocker, let me give you some advice. Once you understand how both the cocker and the mag work, you will obviously figure out that the cocker and mag work very differently to achieve the same purpose. They both perform equally well, the cockers can be made so that their bolt will pinch balls instead of balls and this used to be a big point for those deciding between the two. However, with he advent of level 10 the mag surpasses the cocker in being gentle on balls. Also let me point out that neither the stock .68 Automag or the stock Autococker will stop on balls, but will slice right through them. The cocker requires a little more work than the mag to lower the cocking pressure and requires constant tinkering to keep it performing at it's best unless you leave it stock. I would personally go with the mag because the cocker has no advantages over it and the mag shoots faster. Some will disagree, but as I said before, this is jsut my opinion.

Well, I hope I helped someone out by this post.

FalconGuy016
03-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Very comprehensive :)
Although you do know that it doesnt depend on the gun to determine how accurate it is? Just wondering because it seemed like it when I read it

otherwise very good :)

Brak
03-03-2003, 09:53 PM
sounds like youve owned some nice markers. i agree with the 32* thing, they make total crap. i knew someone with a PT extreme and it had major feeding and leaking problems. i disagree with you about the m98 though, my one was bought used and it was old and beat up, i put it through hell and it stood up to everything. i never did fire it underwater though...

GT
03-03-2003, 10:09 PM
I dont know what to think man half your guns were broke:confused:

I have owned a few
both me LED's were badass, only problem is that they suffer from barrel rise. and every kid wants to touch it. the reason I sold the eclipse and the dust blue done by whitewolf.

I have had 4 mags. all incredible, the only one that sucked at first was the RT with a non adj tank:mad: she would go runaway and chop paint. scared all the noobs in the stagin area:D

Matrix this gun sux, I wont even go into it

2 cockers, the outkast I had for like 3 days until one of my buds bought it, otherwise a killer 'gun

spyder TL+ spyders are nice guns only thing i didnt like was that I think when the hammer(or striker) and valve knock together it rings. all day play=headache for JB:(

Tippmann M98. Very very awsome gun. I one my first tourney with one. I am considering building another.

I will try to remember any of the others.

Funny i sold both my angels for mags;)

ß.C.
03-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Well I've been through lots of those spyder clones when I just got into the sport(spyder, piranha, rebel, raider, bruizer). I actually though they were different from each other :D. But now I can conclude that the WGP Raider series with a modded trigger frame is my favorite. They work like tricked spyders, it like comes upgraded stock :), I'd make the feedneck more sturdy though.

Also on the PT extreme thing, I owned one and it got stolen :mad: but the leaking problem is a common problem but most people don't realize that after using the quick changer a few times they should unscrew the lock alittle. Very common problem, could of made a living off all the "fixes" I've made by telling people about it :D

Koosh
03-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Mind if I hone in on your action? I've had quite a few markers myself, and I feel like writing about them ;)

Note, I only had one autococker, but consider it 3 different guns due to the way I upgraded it.

1. Tippmann Model 98 Custom. Like Paintmagnet, I poured way too much money into it, but I liked the result. Palmer Stabilizer, 4 barrels, RT trigger = dead on consistency with great accuracy. Ended up trading it for Autococker #1. Read more on that one. Had this gun from May of 2001 to March of 2002. It still is the longest period of time I have gone without changing guns.

2. AGD Minimag. The best gun I have ever owned. Period. As I look back, I don't know why I got rid of it. It was perfect, with a 14" SP AA, the Palmer Stab from my Tippy, and all for just $250, I was very happy with it. I ended up selling this to pay off my impulse... read more on that. Had from mid-March 2002 to late April 2002.

3. Cocker #1. sucked. I got it non-working, had to spend $200 on it just to get it functional. Of course then I was a complete newb, and didn't know what the heck was going on with cockers. Now I know enough to build one of my own, and realize I got screwed on the $200 deal...

Here is the For Sale I had on the Cocker and Minimag:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32237

4. SL-68II. Got it on a whim. A few of my friends had purchased pump guns so I figured why not... Actually this is the gun I've owned the longest, I got it in the beginning of April 2002. Still have it, still use it occasionally.

5. PGP. I got this on a whim too. was trying to sell my Palmer Stabilizer but was offered this as a trade. Figured what the heck? It was alright, but wasn't for me... never got any use, so I ended up selling it. Had from May 2002 to early June 2002

6. Cocker #2. This was after it was functional. Had an Angel minireg along with some other goodies. It shot good, but I mainly used my impulse for this period.

Here is Version 2.0 for sale:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44383

7. Vision Impulse. I had this gun for a little while. I thought it shot fine, but the First shot drop off problem really pissed me off. On top of that I really don't like guns I can't work on myself... with the Impy's solenoids and wiring harnesses, it made it almost impossible to work on should something major have gone wrong. (May 2002-end of July 2002)

it went for sale here: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40859

8. I put the impulse for sale, but instead got a trade offer of a brand new Emag. I took that. One of the best I've owned. Shot darts, was fast, and had a good "wow" factor. Unfortunately I had school come up and need fast cash. This was axed.

Sold it here: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46956

9. Autococker Version 3.0. Now I had some extra money from the emag sale, I wanted to spruce up the cocker. I forgot to mention that I had bought a race frame for it near the end of version 2.0 and now I got a New body with the extra cash. Once again, I would have kept that marker forever if I hadn't got into trouble. Lets just say I got in trouble, needed lots of money, and had none. Notice I had put the cocker for sale 2 times before this, and I didn't get rid of it until this one!

Put it for sale here:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50059

10. Which brings us to number 10. Instead of selling the cocker like I should have, I was talked into trading it for a SFL emag. The marker everyone wants, and no one has ;)

While I had the SFL it worked good. Because I was using a crappy halo-a I was getting double feeding breaks, but overall it shot like a dream.

Had it for sale here: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67063

11. Now I'm on my final marker... again. Warpfed classic with some junk. I'm starting to grow on the warpfeed, and I think I'll actually keep this one for a while... hopefully more then a month...

askman
03-04-2003, 12:01 AM
You guys sound like me. After working on my gun collection for many years, I got into paintball.

Right now, I am down to several collectibles and several that I shoot, and several what I consider trade stock.

Over the last few years, I went through about 30 markers and have about dozen now.

My first was BE stingray. worked ok, but it is BE. bought it used, and sold it for same. went to tippman 98, which was better, but not satisfying. Learned about blowbacks vs open/closed bolt system. Soon After that I got into my first mag. it was classic. one of the nicest piece I ever got. In the ensuing times, I started to collect older pumps. I have in the box splatmaster and rapide, PGP. also clean bush line si, iconz, f1,f2 illusttrators, and several other pumps. Of all the pumps, I really liked phantom and the line si. Phantom is better shooter, but bushy is so solid. Of course, I've been upgrading the mag. through several guises and selling and buying due to financial tribulation, I now own mag pump, micromag (soon to be with xvalve) and emag. Also have palmer blazer and stroker, as well as custom cocker that I put together from parts. Frankly, emag is wonderful, but does not fit my small hands too well. Love the mag, blazer and stroker, cocker is interesting, but not what I consider my first choice. I played around with various electro,(LED, LCD angel, shocker, and matrix comes to mind) but seems to go back to mechanical markers. I guess I am old fashioned in my old age. OH yes, I bought almost all my markers second hand, and learned a lot about maintenance and repair. Since I was a Gunsmith and engineer, it was not too much hassle and fun to learn...

luke
03-04-2003, 09:11 AM
How many years have you played paintball?

mykroft
03-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Well, here's mine.

Spyder TL (Not TL+). A reasonably reliable, cheap marker. I've had great luck with it. Upgraded, butchered, still works fine, owned from fall 99 till present. Would Buy again (If they still made them).

Classic Feed Mag. Bought this on the field while trying it for the first time (Bargaining during speedball is an interesting diversion). Rock Solid, never had a problem with it. Owned from aug 2000 till present. Would buy again.

99 RF cocker, mild upgrades (Benchy frame, Jackhammer, ANS inline reg). Good solid little cocker. No problems, hate the feed though and I paid too much. Owned April-june 2001. Wouldn't buy again, due to better versions available.

ReTro Mag. This thing's been contiuous problems for me. Hopefully fixed by now. Owned June 2001-present. Would not buy again, get RT Pro instead.

Sniper 3. Owned december 2000-may 2001. Crappy Minicocker bodied pump. Pump arm jams all the time. Wouldn't buy again. Get Sniper 2 instead (No pump trouble with sniper 2).

Defiant. Owned January 2002-July 2002. Decent little electro, reliable if babied. Wouldn't buy again.

Angel Fly LCD. reliable, consistent, pretty. Killer gun. Too bad I can't shoot it very fast. Owned June 2002-Present
Would buy again.

2k2 Vert Feed cocker. Good little gun for the money, reliable, fast, upgradable. owned July 2002-oct 2002. Would buy again (In fact I'm buying it back from the guy I sold it to).

PzYcO
03-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Ive had a spyder compact, and a minimag... if that sums it up enough =)

2000Sabre
03-04-2003, 10:40 AM
I haven't been playinng paintball very long but have had 4 guns and working on my fifth. My first gun was a Viper M1 Military. I really liked the looks of that gun and was built solid. No plastic parts. I used it the first few times I played rec ball in the woods. Got a lot of looks from the other players because you don't see too many of them. Performed OK considering it ran on CO2. Didn't have a lot of range with the short stock barrel so I upgrades the barrel. Overall not a bad gun to start. Sold it on Ebay after 6 months.

My second gun was an RT Pro. Got hooked on the looks of the RT and from what I read on the net. This one worked much better than the Viper (of course it would). Still own this one and passed it on to my son. Have had the entire gun powder coated in a three color fade. Upgrade to level 10 which makes it so much nicer. I did have a lot of problems with breaking paint (pre lvl 10)so I started looking for my next one.

My next gun was an SFL E-Mag. Always like the look of the E-Mag and the SFL was so sweet. This gun was a bit of a dissapointment because I really wanted the ACE to keep from chopping paint and never got it because the ACE was delayed for so long. The first day out with this I broke the stock Superbolt it came with over the chrony so I never got on the field to use it. Never liked the cheesy plastic plug that covered the original ACE location hole. The stupid thing would simply fall out. Finaly put another ball detent in. Never was quite satisfied with this gun so out of frustration I bought my next gun, a C&C IR3 and owned both for a short period of time. Sold the SFL to an AO member on Ebay because I could walk the trigger on the Angel better than I ever could with the E-Mag. I would definitely look at the new XMag now that Warp breaches and ACE are avialable on them.

The Angel has been a very good gun. It's had some problems but has not been as bad as the SFL was with paint. Still shooting it today and working on upgrading my original MEM2/COPS1 board to the new MEM6/COPS2 board.

Just plunked down my hard earned money on a Rat Impulse yesterday to serve as my backup. Non-Vision with upgraded internals and LPR. Looking forward to giving it a test drive when it arrives. From what I've read they're supposed to be great for the money. We'll see.

TheTramp
03-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 2000Sabre
Just plunked down my hard earned money on a Rat Impulse yesterday to serve as my backup. Non-Vision with upgraded internals and LPR.

:eek: :D

FutureMagOwner
03-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 2000Sabre
Just plunked down my hard earned money on a Rat Impulse yesterday to serve as my backup. Non-Vision with upgraded internals and LPR. Looking forward to giving it a test drive when it arrives. From what I've read they're supposed to be great for the money. We'll see.
good choice i have one make sure you have a good loader because mine chops alot with a rev or halo a. anyway i have had alot of guns as well and time to waste so here i go:
1. talon- used it once just to convince my parents i wanted to play paintball from now on i kept it for a long time then threw it on the garbage.
2.98 custom- had this for a while i loved it i spent too much on it but i got a good amount for it put to backup for a cocker because i was having problems with it on co2.
3. cocker- loved it then hated it. pain in the butt to work it if i had the brains and money i would have custom made my own for the same i payed for it and would have been 1000X better. also got a good price on it when i sold it.
4. automag- bought it off a friend for $200 bought level 10 liked it and was going to get a ton of new parts then realized for the money i could get a used emag so i sold the mag bought an emag(i got this in mid ownership of cocker and sold it in mid ownership of impulse)
5. RAT impulse: great gun i messed with the lpr and made it so it wouldnt work half the day until i twisted it 2 times:rolleyes: now i have chopping problems. awesome gun needs a halo. still own it.
6.Emag- love this gun was using it the first time at neao2 it was awesome broke on ball the whole day which is like unheard of for me(except in my old mag which i hardly use and who says mags break paint?).

paint magnet
03-04-2003, 04:34 PM
lol, half my guns were broken. Some were like that when I got them, others, like the cockers I just shouldn't have messed with. That should tell you something about the mag and Angel though, both have survived being owned by me :D

FooTemps
03-04-2003, 05:56 PM
PG1 PRO: Very heavy, just around the neighborhood of 4.5 pounds if I remember correctly. Good solid build. I only shot it once though... It shot decently for a vm68 knock off. I say that it'd be better for melee instead of shooting.

68 automag: It was provided by tunaman. The mag was in good conidtion when I got it... even though it was a bit ghetto. Runs perfectly so far but the drop forward wobbles a little. Very good.

covadsucks
03-04-2003, 06:09 PM
I want in on this!!!
I personally have owned 6 Intimidators and 8 Mags of varying degrees, and 6 autocockers. Not to mention two Defiants, a Matrix and an LCD Angel. Starting from the top:

Intimidators:
Purple to Blue Fade Classic -Chopped alot due to bad board settings.
Black Classic -Shot Dynasty players with this gun.
GZ -Faulty on/off switch in gripframe, would shut off in the middle of a game.
Black Ripper Classic -bad bolt sleeve drilled from factory.
Black 2K2 with GZ Frame -traded for Dye Cocker and other toys.
Black to Grey fade 2K2 -newest toy, yay!

Mags:
Vert Feed Mini -cool to start with
PF Right Mini -compact recball killer
Retro Mini -insanely fast recball killer
PF Left 68 mag -back up toy for the other mags and cockers.
Emag -OMG this thing spanked Angels for fun.
Retro'd Classic -bored one day, built another from parts.
RT Pro -trade and was my main marker.
Emag -Got bored, decided to spend money.

Cockers:
2K Flatline Cocker -cheap experiment cocker -it sucked!
2K RF Cocker -upgraded to the max, it shot nicely.
2K1 STO -pimped out and laid waste to recballers and speedballers alike.
2K2 Red Dye Cocker -gorgeous milling, ugly anno.
2K2 Orracle, orange to black fade -grew tired of Orracle pnuematics
2K2 STO -pimped and installed an Eblade, sold it to my brother so he'd finally have fun playing.

Defiants:
2K Grey to Black Fade -beater gettin' neater.
2K2 Solid Black -wasn't efficient enough for my purposes.

Matrix:
2K2 Matrix LED -fast but broke paint when it felt like it.

Angels:
2K1 Fly LCD -only broke paint, never shot it correctly, only owned this for five hours...took it back as it sucked.

Ultimator
03-04-2003, 07:58 PM
I guess I could get in on this although my list is really short.

1. A friend in my 9th grade english class was looking at a paintball magazine, I recognized it because I had played it in 5th grade so we got to talking. I looked through the magazine and me and a friend decided to start off on Spyder Shutters. We ordered a Red and a Blue one from PBgear and we thought we were getting the very best semi-auto markers out there (yeah I wanted to be a sniper.) Owned this one for around 4 months.

2. Got into speedball and Carl (aka Doc or Smokee_2_7 here on AO) got me into mags (as he has done to so many other people). Sold the Spyder for as much as I bought it for and bought a body, body rail, and sight rail with the money. Doc let me borrow his valve, trigger frame, and a barrel so I could use the gun (I appreciate it to this day!). Covadsucks sent me a nitro tank because he saw a picture of my gun with a co2 tank on it. I really appreciate this covad, I count you as one of the people who got me into paintball :). **Read Below**

3. Bought a mag off the wall of the shop and put all the parts on my mag. I sold all of the spare parts and payed my mom back the $100 I owed her. The gun had an intelliframe, RT body, all the good stuff. Bought a warp for it. Had this gun about 6-7 months.

4. Bought a Gray Fade Vision Rat Impulse with 68/45 Max-Flo for $400 because the feed tube threads were supposedly messed up. I cleaned the threads with a safety pin about 10 times and screwed a new feedtube in. Worked fine ever since! Sold the mag for $450 and payed my mom back the $200 she lent me. The rest of the money is set aside for my first tourney coming up. Had this gun for almost 2 months now.

So due to a lot of luck I am now an up-and-coming tourney player!

vdo_game_junkie
03-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Hey paint magnet, I have to agree with you on the Phantom, I had mine since 1991, yup and still happy with it. At that time I also bought a Sheridan P68 which I still have but hardly use anymore. But I really love that Phantom. Also bought my wife a Phantom when she used to play back in 1999, still have that too, but she doesn't play anymore.

Up until 1999, I used to play strickly stock class games until a buddy convinced me to play on a semi/constant air whatever you want to call it game and that is when I bought a Spyder. But the funny thing was that I kept going back to my stock class Phantom, regardless of the game and who we were playing against. Which makes for some great stories, but I'll save that for another time.

Anyway, one of my buddies left paintball for awhile and lent me his automag for like a year and a half. And man I was bit by the automag bug. I just bought my minimag 6 months ago and been a happy camper.

My tried my brother's STO cocker, Tippman Model 98 with the flatline barrel and reactive trigger, his AT85 and my other brother's evolution cocker and and his Spyder Shutter and they think I'm nuts cuz I like my minimag better. I have to admit that their markers are a lot faster than mine but I still play like a stock class player. I have yet to use a full case of paint for a full day of paintball action. :D

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Marker #1 was a BE Talon. It was alright, never played paintball with it. Mother paid $75 for it at K-Mart when I was 13 years old. Used it to "poka-dot" my grandmother's house.

Marker #2 was a Tippmann 98C Power Pack that I was going to use to play at Splat-Man Du. Mother got all pissy because I bought it so I sent it back.

Marker #3 was a BE Tigershark. Never played with it and ended up selling it.

Marker #4 was an AGD Minimag. The guy who sold it to me on E-Bay failed to mention he cut the feed tube on it. Sold it.

Marker #5 was a Tippmann 98C Power Pack from Wal-Mart. Lost the enternet fo a few months and sold it.

Marker #6 is an AGD Chrome Minimag purchased from here and I DON'T plan on selling it.

athomas
12-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, I guess I can wade in here too.

I bought my first paintball gun in 1990. It was a Rebel 90 pump which is a Nelson based pump design. It was light and compact and always worked. I had two 12" barrels with different inside diameters so I could use different types of paint. It allowed incredible accuracy and consitency. I loved this gun and still have it.

In 1993, I bought my first mag. It was the newest level 7 powerfed 68Automag. This gun changed the way I play paintball. It was an amazing gun and has never let me down on the field. This particular gun was the first in my area and caused many more to be sold after people tried it out. I still have it and still use it. It works like a charm.

In 1993, shortly after the purchase of the automag, I also purchased a PGP. This was mostly due to the fact that we played a lot of big game woodsball and it was well known that most semi guns would eventually break down on the field so you needed a backup. I upgraded the PGP with a CO2 quickchange and a cooper T bolt. They sent me the wrong bolt (Pirana version) so I had to cut the front off it to make it fit. The new bolt had a ball bearing locking/release mechanism that made cocking increadibly light. The gun never got much use because, unlike other semis, my mag never broke down on the field. I did play a few games using just this gun just so I could use it. There is no feeling quite like sneaking past a bunch of guys wielding semis and shooting them in the back with a pistol.

I liked the mag so well that I bought a retro valve as an upgrade to my mag in 2002 a couple of years after I got back into the sport of paintball in 2000 after a few years away. I still have this valve. I also bought a micromag body and with a few parts I had kicking around constructed both a retro mag and a micromag. I have both in my collection today. Actually, my valves are all interchangeable so I can use my retro valve or 68autmag valve in any of my mags. I use the retro mag most often when playing scenario games.

In 2002, I purchased my first emag. Wow, what a gun. The emag was a solid gun and the quality was evident in the construction. This was my gun of choice for tournments. It never let me down. The level 10 was a fantastic upgrade for this gun and opened a lot of eyes on the field. With the gun of the day crowds around the fields these days, I never saw another emag in my area. I eventually upgraded to ULE as well. I still have and use my emag.

In 2005, I purchased an Angel Speed (2004 version) from a friend that needed money. I liked the solidness of the gun. It felt nice and the quality was evident. I had it sent to TAG sports for a predator upgrade. Whoa! I played an uncapped tournament that year with it. A cap limit was immediately placed on all future tournaments in our area. LOL. Because of the eyes and the fact that ramping wasn't available in the emag, I elected to use this gun for all my Xball tournaments. Still do.

In 2005, I purchased a practically new, used Syder Electra. I didn't want the gun, but it came with a whole bunch of stuff including an Angel Air system. I sold the Spyder. It was well built though and it worked well. I guess you can't beat that. It didn't have that same feel of a Mag or Angel though.

In 2005 I purchased an old 1990 Tippmann 68 Special. Its just nostalgic. It works but is a bit of a gas hog. Remember the cloud of CO2 when shooting these back in the day? Its a piece of history from 1990 though, so I had to have it. They weren't the most reliable gun due to the heavy parts wearing out the orings and the flexing of the internal gas lines.

In 2006, I bought a used Spyder Fenix. It works well but is a bit loud. It has a nice feel to it actually. It is a solid gun for a starter. I took it apart and am currently making a Spimmy with it.

In 2006 I also bought an old Intimidator. It is an original model with a whole bunch of hybrid upgrades. I never used it but wanted the internals for my Spimmy project. I had used friends Timmies in the past. I do like them. They are a nice light, solid, reliable gun.

In 2007 I bought a second used Angel Speed so that I could have two identical setups for Xball. The second Angel had an Angel Force upgrade. It does not hold a candle to the Predator Angel even though both are the same basic version of Angel Speed. I still have this gun but never use it.

In 2008, I purchased a Tippmann Custom 98. You can't beat Tippmanns. I just wanted to tinker with it. It works well but is a bit loud. The barrel is 0.700" inside diameter. That is huge. You can almost drop a basketball through it. I guess you never have to worry about paint size with this thing. I always liked a big barrel but this is crazy. I don't like the feel of the 98. The forgrip is too far forward for me. I am used to a tighter design I guess, being a tournament player. I'll probably keep it though. I don't sell many of my guns.

teufelhunden
12-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Marker #1 was a BE Talon. It was alright, never played paintball with it. Mother paid $75 for it at K-Mart when I was 13 years old. Used it to "poka-dot" my grandmother's house.

Marker #2 was a Tippmann 98C Power Pack that I was going to use to play at Splat-Man Du. Mother got all pissy because I bought it so I sent it back.

Marker #3 was a BE Tigershark. Never played with it and ended up selling it.

Marker #4 was an AGD Minimag. The guy who sold it to me on E-Bay failed to mention he cut the feed tube on it. Sold it.

Marker #5 was a Tippmann 98C Power Pack from Wal-Mart. Lost the enternet fo a few months and sold it.

Marker #6 is an AGD Chrome Minimag purchased from here and I DON'T plan on selling it.

jesus dude you found a post that was made 6 years before you joined for that?

going_home
12-31-2009, 04:42 PM

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/DigeratiPrime/holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

:tard:

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Jesus has nothing to do with it :mad: I didn't find this thread, it was on top of this forum ;)

Smoothice
12-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Jesus has nothing to do with it :mad: I didn't find this thread, it was on top of this forum ;)

really?

On the top of page 200 maybe...

Or was there some kind database error? Hmmm.

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 07:05 PM
I certainly didn't go searching for it :nono:

CatoRockwell
12-31-2009, 10:01 PM
me too me too!

1995: First time I ever saw a paintball gun. Kid brought it in for a demonstration in my 5th grade class. That summer I bought a Tippman Prolite I think it was... It's been so long. Loved that thing to death I am grateful to that gun for getting me into the sport.

1999: My paintball buddies convinced me to "upgrade" from my old tippmann to a Spyder TL Plus. Shot decent and was easy to clean but like someone mentioned I hated the metallic twang every time it fired and it wasn't nearly consistent enough, plus... it just didn't feel right.

2001: After finding myself back with my Prolite, I decided to move forward and purchased Tippmann98c, I loved this gun for years. Reliable when all my friends spyders were going down.

2005: I had always been told by the "real" players at the local shop that the Autococker was the way to go. So finally having enough money to go for it I bought a Trilogy Pro... Biggest mistake yet. No upgradability period, but I didn't know anything about autocockers so when I found out how screwed I was I decided to give WGP one more chance and bought a used 2000. After a local player helped me get it all tuned in, it worked great. Quiet as all hell, and accurate too. My only major complaint, and it remains the same to this day with all cockers: The things are the most Finicky markers I've ever used. I was finding myself spending a lot of time timing it in various conditions. Also the darn things don't hold up in the woods very well.

2006: I was back to tippmann again :rolleyes: This time with an A-5 this is still to this day my backup marker. Reliable and after some modifications on the crummy stock parts it's a monster on the field. However, I remembered how smooth my autococker shot when it was working and the A-5 felt like a clumsy AK47. Reliable but not precise or elegant.

2008: My close friend Jon introduced me to the Automag. It had been his dream gun for years, but he could never afford one and unfortunately we didn't know any players that used one. Until we met a guy who used the Tac-One Longbow from special ops. The guy was kind enough to let me try it out for a game and I was sold forever to the Automag.

By July, I had my Tac-One ordered from AGD and was rocking the local field rocking it for the mag. I've done many upgrades on my mag since then and finally finished my E-Tac that I use today. Funny thing is, I've kept my A-5 as a backup thinking I would need it. Never have, if anything my Tac-One has had fewer issues than my A-5.

Anyway, I just barely finished turning my Tac-One into an E-Tac and thanks to the AO community along with the customizability, reliability, and precision of this miraculous marker I will be and AGD fan for life. :headbang:

Shirow
12-31-2009, 10:46 PM
bought my mag
changed parts around
story of my paintball life