PDA

View Full Version : Degasing Probs

jpdgas
03-03-2003, 10:04 PM
I just installed my new level 10 on my minimag with no hassles (yay!) except for one. It is VERY hard to degass the gun. With my standard rt valve, i could just turn the air off, shoot till it didnt shoot anymore, and pull the quik disconnect. now i only get one shot after turning off the air and its near impossible to get the disconnect off. Any suggestions? How do you handle this?

mobius
03-04-2003, 12:24 AM
I'm having the same problem with my setup. I turn off the gas, fire a couple shots, and there's still enough gas in the macroline to make it nearly impossible to remove. Any ideas, guys?

Gadget
03-04-2003, 06:29 AM
You need either a dump valve or a Pro-connect, both of which let you vent the residual gas left in the valve.

ghideon
03-04-2003, 07:46 AM
I have the same problem. Try holding down the trigger when you turn off the air source, then try to fire a few times. This helped for me when I was on the medium spring. Now that I'm on the longest spring, it doesn't help that much. I have about 400psi in the gun after de-gasing, and it takes just a little force to remove the QD.

Load SM5
03-04-2003, 08:32 AM
You can either buy a slidecheck to vent the excess gas or just grab the slidecheck and pop it off. It takes a little more force but it's not that hard. Just make sure you don't pop an o-ring out.

xen_100
03-04-2003, 01:11 PM
the problem I have with proconnects and slide checks is the tiny little holes they have for airflow. why go to all the hassle of a high flow airsystem with high flow hose and then mess it up wiht a slide check. when I get home I will tkae a pict of what I did. still allows you to use a slide check to de-gass, but the gas doesn't go thru the slide check. ;)

QUINCYMASSGUY
03-04-2003, 01:24 PM
I have a way of solving this. I use a screw-in tank (Crossfire) and will turn off the on/off on the drop forward, fire the last two or three shots, and actually unscrew the tank and you'll hear it hiss and release that residual gas. The valve will be depressurized then.
Now for those of you who are rich (or have rich parents) and can afford adjustable nitro tanks where you can't unscrew the tank, I have no clue what you would do. Maybe put another quick disconnect on the line to the tank and just let it POP like it does if you disconnected it after shutting off the on/off. I don't know if this damages quick disconnects though.

ghideon
03-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by QUINCYMASSGUY
I have a way of solving this. I use a screw-in tank (Crossfire) and will turn off the on/off on the drop forward, fire the last two or three shots, and actually unscrew the tank and you'll hear it hiss and release that residual gas. The valve will be depressurized then.
Now for those of you who are rich (or have rich parents) and can afford adjustable nitro tanks where you can't unscrew the tank, I have no clue what you would do. Maybe put another quick disconnect on the line to the tank and just let it POP like it does if you disconnected it after shutting off the on/off. I don't know if this damages quick disconnects though.

I've tried that system on the roommate's autococker with his preset screw in. I run thru too many tank o-rings that way personally. Also, it helps to invest in a decent female QD (see AGD store). And always have a spare, too.

xen_100
03-04-2003, 01:29 PM
actually that does damage them........you can blow the little o-ring out and it wont seal next time. also you really start to mangle the little ball bearings on the QD and the lip on the nipple that the ball bearings sit in.

what I did was connect a runtee to the AIR valve. a QD nipple at one end and the slide check at the other. that way you dont hinder airflow, but you have a way to de-gas by opening the slidecheck.

xen_100
03-04-2003, 08:34 PM
thar ya be! arrr!

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/xen_100/AIR_valve.jpg

SeeK
03-04-2003, 11:12 PM
If you have a drop with an extra plug you can replace it with this: Purge Valve 1/8npt
http://www.cooper-t.com/expansionchambers.html

Best suited if you have tank On-Off

Brass Aluminum Slide Check
http://www.allenpaintball.com/remotesystems.html
This is supposed to have female fittings on both sides and comes with a M-M fitting. The advantage of this is that you can put it at the beginning of a line instead of the traditional end (ie. drop to hose to valve). The downside is that it doesn't use regular tank O-rings but that should be minor. I'd recommend this for screw-on tanks when you need to work on the valve.

mobius
03-05-2003, 12:18 AM
Sweet! I'm gonna order one of those purge valves, since my 32 Degrees on/off has an extra port.

jpdgas
03-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks for your help, I think im going to try the purge valve as it seems the least intrusive method (and cheap). Do you twist it to purge? It looks fairly simple.

mobius
03-05-2003, 09:53 PM
Looks like it's a twist on/off deal. I just ordered one tonight, so I'll post my findings once I receive it and get it installed.