PDA

View Full Version : milling???

brmsk8r123
05-16-2001, 12:18 PM
i dunno i dont think it will work right because if u milled holes right behind the feed tube most of the air preasure whould go out that hole and u would lose preasure behind the ball

prodiGyBNTY
05-16-2001, 12:41 PM
i would think SHALLOW laser graphics would work best if you could somehow get someone to powdercoat the grooves 1 color and the outside another color so that it shows up well. or else CNC really shallow but i dont think THAT shallow would work too well.

that would probably be expensive though

magalomaniac
05-16-2001, 01:22 PM
where exactly is the pressure when a shot is being fired? I know that the bolt moves into the barrel before it releases gas, and I'm guessing it at least partly seals to the barrel. There's no real seal between the body and the valve, so air would escape there if it reached that point, right?

prodiGyBNTY
05-16-2001, 01:23 PM
or else, have a block of aluminum milled...that wouldnt be too hard actually...you could mill it to be center feed then...the body is VERY simple of a design..the only part to look out for would be the trigger screw...and then you are in an all-in-one design and not have to worry about over tightening...and from there...the sky is the limit for milling http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif anyone interested? maybe ill run a few and see how it comes out

i dont suppose AGD wants to give me exact measurments for the body specs eh?

prodiGyBNTY
05-16-2001, 01:26 PM
thats true about the air mag...but youre just asking for breech breaks and lots o' dirt also...

wait...now that im thinking about it..i dont think the bolt makes a perfect seal anyways...its not really meant to...the ball should do most of the sealing (in all guns) thats why paint to barrel match is so importand..take a look at june APG...there is a section that shows paint to barrel matching and you notice that it doesnt exactly drop through when its matched

[This message has been edited by prodiGyBNTY (edited 05-16-2001).]

magalomaniac
05-16-2001, 11:54 PM
you see milling all the time on other guns, because they have extra metal to mill away. Well mags don't, obviously, so you never see milling on them. But I was thinking, if you milled slots or holes in the back of a mag body, would it affect anything? the milling would be sort of like the minimag slots, in the back instead. Because all the pressure is inside the barrel. So if you started a little behind the barrel, or behind the feed tube, would it work to mill it out? I think that would be really cool, but if it would work, why hasn't anyone done it?

magalomaniac
03-12-2002, 01:06 AM
up!! I was digging through old threads of mine, I haven't been here in a while. I just saw the pics of the milled bodies on the sfl and the latest ideas, and thought "hey, I said that months ago!"
So anyway, I just wanted brag :)

LaW
03-12-2002, 09:42 AM
umm you could never mill an automag body because it was made out of stainless... the new bodies are aluminum and millable :) I think your getting to hot with yourself there

magalomaniac
03-12-2002, 11:42 AM
ok, I'll give you that, I wasn't thinking about the difficulty of milling ss.

steveg
03-12-2002, 03:56 PM
OH Lordy Lordy Lordy just when you think you have it
stomped down it crops up somewere else

How do you think those parts got to be that shape in the
first place. someone sawed,turned or milled them.

LaW
03-12-2002, 04:49 PM
yeah yeah yeah :) i don't even care about this post hehe

GallagherAtWar
03-13-2002, 06:11 PM
why can you mill stainless steel??

and what do you mill with??

Chri$

steveg
03-13-2002, 08:10 PM
why can you mill stainless steel??
First of you can "mill" anything including diamond (generally considered the hardest stuff around)

and what do you mill with??
Exactly the same tools that you use to "mill" normal steel or even aluminum

Why am I writing "mill" with quote marks
because there are several methods used to cut and shape metal, Saw,Drill,Punch,Turn,grind,and yes "mill"(darn there I go again)

serious thought stainless is not difficult to drill,turn or mill. Difficulty of machining (a much better generic term) is a function of the
metals hardness and how well it forms a chip.

Inconel, now that's had to cut

GallagherAtWar
03-13-2002, 08:58 PM
thank you

chri$