PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves

rdb123
03-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Post them up here.

I'll start it up:

My personal pet peeve is when some guy is selling a gun, and a potential buyer comes in and says "I'll give you [amount]." -- Do they realize that it's rude to say that to a seller while negotiating? They should ASK if [amount] is sufficient, like: "would $500 be ok?"

"I will give you 500 dollars for it" is just plain rude. ;)

-Ron

PolishSausage
03-05-2003, 09:58 PM
"Can I ask you a question?"

Didn't leave me much choise there, did ya?

"You can have your cake and eat it too!"

What the heck else would you so with a cake, bathe it?

-=Squid=-
03-05-2003, 09:58 PM
I CANT STAND to listen to people eat. ughh...

rdb123
03-05-2003, 10:00 PM
What about this one guys: "Fill it to the brim."

It's RIM people. Everyone only started saying "brim" because of a coffee brand called brim.

Their commercials used to be "fill it to the rim, with brim."

mikey101
03-05-2003, 10:08 PM
I am so sick of hearing "So what can you bench now?" Oohh man does that piss me off. Who cares! The only reason you're asking me is because you're trying to make me feel inferior to you!

ChucktheMAGician
03-05-2003, 10:13 PM
I used to have a pet peeve but it kept peeing on the carpet and biting people so my mom got rid of it!:rolleyes: ;)

Python14
03-05-2003, 10:30 PM
I am annoyed by people who are loud. I'm not talking about people who talk too much, or talk loud, because from time to time, I do that. I'm talking about people whose simple exsistence is loud. Whether they breathe through their nostrils too loud, or they make noises with their saliva, or they just have a loud digestive system, it annoys me. I had to take a car trip to wintergreen(about 2.5 hours) with a guy who was so loud in his ground state that it drove me to the point of insanity.

I also don't like it when people argue about something they know nothing about. Like people who argue about religion and dogma, yet know nothing about it. If you are going to say something please, for the love of god, do not butcher a subject with false information.

Sparq
03-05-2003, 10:53 PM
The fact that I'm not allowed to Taser whoever I feel like tasering. ;)

I get annoyed by alot of things, and a taser would be oh so sweeeeeet...

yeahthatsme
03-05-2003, 10:54 PM
when people say "my gun is totally tricked" and they just put some random aftermarket stuph on it...

joeyjoe367
03-05-2003, 10:57 PM
I hate it when people talk on cellular phones. ANY TIME. I can't stand them. I've had Dozens of incidents where Idiots on phones almost kill me in their cars.

I hate it when I'm in a computer lab and someone picks up their phone with their obnoxious ring tones, and blabs away.

I hate it when phones go off durring a movie.

I hate it when I'm on the bus and someone's blabbing away on their phone.

I don't own a Cellular phone and I refuse to get one. I've got a lot of better things that I can do with $30 a month. If I REALLY need to get a hold of someone, I'll use a payphone or someone else's phone.

FooTemps
03-06-2003, 12:12 AM
dang joey... lol, I've got a cell phone! But I'm smart with it. I use it when I need a ride or when I need free international or night or weekend minutes.

But anyway,
It really bugs me when people are stupid... I dunno, that's my biggest pet peeve, stupidity. I just have zero tolerance for stupid people. I try to hide it but it's always pretty noticable.

Collegeboy
03-06-2003, 12:25 AM
My pet peeve would be those self ritouis southern christian conservatives who are only conservative or christian or both when it suits them. And my college is full of them.

OR

Girls who try and impress you by acting dumb, or throwing on a bunch of make-up, and becoming someone they are not. Not that many girls will see this, but just in case ;) . If you become someone you are not, don't be surprised if you and your boyfriend don't get along once he gets to know you.

FooTemps
03-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Collegeboy

Girls who try and impress you by acting dumb, or throwing on a bunch of make-up, and becoming someone they are not. Not that many girls will see this, but just in case ;) . If you become someone you are not, don't be surprised if you and your boyfriend don't get along once he gets to know you.

oh soo true, they bug me so much. I mean, there is this one girl I know that went from goody goody, smart, good looking to airhead, still smart, still good looking, whore-ish girl that gets drunk and then makes out with a bunch of guys.

Tron
03-06-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by rdb123

It's RIM people. Everyone only started saying "brim" because of a coffee brand called brim.

Real word and has been here awhile... People complaining about trivial non-sense would have to be mine.

-Tron

Fatjon
03-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Mine is the sound that finger nail clippers make when people clip there finger nails

Smoke
03-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Mine are:

I get really mad when people don't know how to speak English properly. Also, when people don't know how to use punctuation, spelling, and all that, I get infuuriated. (<--- yes, I did that on purpose!)

I hate it when people whistle.

I hate it when people brag about their cars.

I hate it when I get my hands dirty. (I don't know why...)

EsPo
03-06-2003, 04:52 PM
i cant stand it when people use internet lingo... sux, thanx, l8er, be4 ect ect. i especially cant stand leet speak.. theres no point. half the population cant read it, it takes longer to type, and it <b>doesnt</b> make you any cooler to your supermodel internet girlfriend.. you supergeek. :p ;)\

also cant stand anything sticky, or sand.

Rebel46_99
03-06-2003, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Collegeboy
[B]My pet peeve would be those self ritouis southern christian conservatives who are only conservative or christian or both when it suits them.

What? As opposed to bleeding-heart liberals who do the same thing?

petefol
03-06-2003, 05:12 PM

by definition brim means the rim of a container, and ive never heard of brim coffee but whatever, some wierd stuff like that annoys me too.

shartley
03-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Dictionary.com

brim ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brm)
n.
The rim or uppermost edge of a hollow container or natural basin.
A projecting rim or edge: the brim of a hat.
A border or an edge. See Synonyms at border.
Full capacity: “No sooner had the fighting started than the hotel filled to the brim with a most extraordinary collection of people” (George Orwell).

v. brimmed, brim·ming, brims
v. intr.
To be full to the brim, often to overflowing: The cup is brimming with chowder.
To be abundantly filled or supplied: a monument brimming with tourists; workers brimming with pride.

v. tr.
To fill to the brim.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English brimme.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

brim

\Brim\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Brimmed; p. pr. & vb. n. Brimming.] To be full to the brim. ``The brimming stream.'' --Milton.

To brim over (literally or figuratively), to be so full that some of the contents flows over the brim; as, a cup brimming over with wine; a man brimming over with fun.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

brim

\Brim\, n. [OE. brim, brimme, AS. brymme edge, border; akin to Icel. barmr, Sw. br["a]m, Dan. br[ae]mme, G. brame, br["a]me. Possibly the same word as AS. brim surge, sea, and properly meaning, the line of surf at the border of the sea, and akin to L. fremere to roar, murmur. Cf. Breeze a fly.] 1. The rim, border, or upper edge of a cup, dish, or any hollow vessel used for holding anything.

Saw I that insect on this goblet's brim I would remove it with an anxious pity. --Coleridge.

2. The edge or margin, as of a fountain, or of the water contained in it; the brink; border.

The feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water. --Josh. iii. 15.

3. The rim of a hat. --Wordsworth.

brim

\Brim\, v. t. To fill to the brim, upper edge, or top.

Arrange the board and brim the glass. --Tennyson.

brim

\Brim\, a. Fierce; sharp; cold. See Breme. [Obs.]

brim

Breme \Breme\ (br[=e]m), a. [OE. breme, brime, fierce, impetuous, glorious, AS. br[=e]me, br[=y]me, famous. Cf. Brim, a.] 1. Fierce; sharp; severe; cruel. [Obs.] --Spenser.

From the septentrion cold, in the breme freezing air. --Drayton.

2. Famous; renowned; well known. --Wright. [Written also brim and brimme.]

brim

n 1: the top edge of a vessel [syn: rim, lip] 2: a rim that sticks outward from the crown v 1: be completely full; "His eyes brimmed with tears" 2: fill as much as possible; "brim a cup to good fellowship"

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

dansim
03-06-2003, 05:33 PM
i dont have pet peeves i have major psychotic hatreds:D

Collegeboy
03-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Rebel46_99
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Collegeboy
[B]My pet peeve would be those self ritouis southern christian conservatives who are only conservative or christian or both when it suits them.

What? As opposed to bleeding-heart liberals who do the same thing?

Don't know what you meant this as.

But why would anyone want to say they are a liberal when they are not, espeically in the south where I am talking about.

FooTemps
03-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by dansim
i dont have pet peeves i have major psychotic hatreds:D

i've got serveral of those but I haven't experienced them in a while so they've dropped down to the level of pet peeves...

Xerces
03-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by yeahthatsme
when people say "my gun is totally tricked" and they just put some random aftermarket stuph on it...

d00d! its got an expansion chamber, an asa, AND A BARREL! 1tz tr1ck3d t0 t3h M4X!!!

ChucktheMAGician
03-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by shartley
Dictionary.com

brim ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brm)
n.
The rim or uppermost edge of a hollow container or natural basin.
A projecting rim or edge: the brim of a hat.
A border or an edge. See Synonyms at border.
Full capacity: “No sooner had the fighting started than the hotel filled to the brim with a most extraordinary collection of people” (George Orwell).

v. brimmed, brim·ming, brims
v. intr.
To be full to the brim, often to overflowing: The cup is brimming with chowder.
To be abundantly filled or supplied: a monument brimming with tourists; workers brimming with pride.

v. tr.
To fill to the brim.

[Middle English brimme.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

brim

\Brim\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Brimmed; p. pr. & vb. n. Brimming.] To be full to the brim. ``The brimming stream.'' --Milton.

To brim over (literally or figuratively), to be so full that some of the contents flows over the brim; as, a cup brimming over with wine; a man brimming over with fun.

brim

\Brim\, n. [OE. brim, brimme, AS. brymme edge, border; akin to Icel. barmr, Sw. br["a]m, Dan. br[ae]mme, G. brame, br["a]me. Possibly the same word as AS. brim surge, sea, and properly meaning, the line of surf at the border of the sea, and akin to L. fremere to roar, murmur. Cf. Breeze a fly.] 1. The rim, border, or upper edge of a cup, dish, or any hollow vessel used for holding anything.

Saw I that insect on this goblet's brim I would remove it with an anxious pity. --Coleridge.

2. The edge or margin, as of a fountain, or of the water contained in it; the brink; border.

The feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water. --Josh. iii. 15.

3. The rim of a hat. --Wordsworth.

brim

\Brim\, v. t. To fill to the brim, upper edge, or top.

Arrange the board and brim the glass. --Tennyson.

brim

\Brim\, a. Fierce; sharp; cold. See Breme. [Obs.]

brim

Breme \Breme\ (br[=e]m), a. [OE. breme, brime, fierce, impetuous, glorious, AS. br[=e]me, br[=y]me, famous. Cf. Brim, a.] 1. Fierce; sharp; severe; cruel. [Obs.] --Spenser.

From the septentrion cold, in the breme freezing air. --Drayton.

2. Famous; renowned; well known. --Wright. [Written also brim and brimme.]

brim

n 1: the top edge of a vessel [syn: rim, lip] 2: a rim that sticks outward from the crown v 1: be completely full; "His eyes brimmed with tears" 2: fill as much as possible; "brim a cup to good fellowship"

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

I hate when people don't edit others quotes and put the whole thing in their post!;) :D :p

Thordic
03-07-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Tron

Real word and has been here awhile... People complaining about trivial non-sense would have to be mine.

-Tron

hahahahaha, nice :) If Brim was just a brand of coffee, it must be an old one since the word brim appears in books from hundreds of years ago :)

RamboPreacher
03-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Post them up here.

I'll start it up:

My personal pet peeve is when some guy is selling a gun, and a potential buyer comes in and says "I'll give you [amount]." -- Do they realize that it's rude to say that to a seller while negotiating? They should ASK if [amount] is sufficient, like: "would $500 be ok?"

"I will give you 500 dollars for it" is just plain rude. ;)

-Ron I disagree, but only iof the original seller has already asked/posted asking for offers. If the seller has stated a specific price without saying that they will take offers, then, yes, I agree with the context of your peeve.

I have a couple:
1. I can deal with typos, grammer errors, misspellings, capitalization errors etc in posts, but it "irks" me to no end when people post one long huge post without breaking it up into "paragraphs" (loosly speaking, of course).

2. people that post stuff for sale, and ask for OBO or make an offer, and when I do, they get all mad because I am "lowballing". Duh, they said, make and offer, so I did. :)

3. OT - people that use Greek and Hebrew references when speaking "theologicaly"/"religiosly", that don't have a clue, and just want to sound smart.

4. people that post their opinion as "fact" and expect everyone to agree that it is fact and anyone else is just "stupid" or at least wrong for saying otherwise.

5. people who "bash" markers, especially if they have never even used it. - similar: people who give opinions and comments on markers and they have never used them (making it sound like they have).

Vex
03-07-2003, 12:13 PM
My peeves are the whole stupid internet/email spelling thing:
dood, enuf, kewl, etc.

Let's just say that if you spell words this way, you're a moron, and partly to blame for the decline of western civilzation.

My other peeve is people who can't speak properly. For instance, using the word "heighth" instead of the proper word "height".

Man, people are stupid...

:rolleyes:

PzYcO
03-07-2003, 12:19 PM
MAH BIG3ST P3T PEVE IS WHEN U HAEV PAOPL3 TAHT KEP TOKNG IN THIS TYPE OF CHAT OVER AND OVER GOD DMN IT GETS SO ANOYNG!11!1 OMG LOL STUPID 12 YR OLD AOL USARS!11!1!11!!! OMG WTF

hahahah :p

BTAutoMag
03-07-2003, 01:09 PM
i cant stand ugly people who call themselves beautiful or beautiful people who call them selves ugly.

i cant stand n00bs who dont know squat about paintball

Trench
03-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Remember though..., We were all newbs once... Granted most of us didn't have an Angel the first time we stepped on the field like some now days, but still...

I hate gheto gacking (Blind fire)

mikey101
03-07-2003, 09:50 PM
People who grow up in nice families, but insist on making others feel bad for them because they say that their parents don't do anything for them just so they get attention. I know many, many kids like this who have so much, but don't give their parents any credit for anything they have. I've heard stories like "my dad is making me pay rent to live at the house now, and that's on top of buying my clothes, and paying for my food." I know their parents, and they're good people, so give them more credit!

Sooky
03-07-2003, 09:57 PM
All my major peeves are public washroom peeves!:mad:

1) When guys don't wash their hands after doing their business! Especially when you're doing your business, and someone comes in to do their business, then immediately leaves!! Ugh, I never give more dirty looks than when I'm in a bathroom. And then I have to get a paper towel to open the door since people can't be sanitary! I swear if seems over 50% of guys dont wash their hands!

2) Guys who stand way back from the urinal and leave drip stains on the floor! Don't they realize that they are the cause of smelly washrooms?!?! I hate having to use urinals bow-legged...hehe sorry if I grossed anyone out!:D

tsc
03-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Toilet humor. I enjoy a good fart joke as much as the rest of you guys, but sometimes enough is enough.

Really astonishingly stupid people who get by in life because everyone feels to bad to tell them just how astonishingly stupid they are. There are people in my classes with AT BEST a 7th grade grasp of the course work, but are still getting B's in the class (I will give it to them that they know how to work the system).

Trends. Punk/goth is in right now. I want to go up to some of the "goth" girls in their ties and Abercrombie pre-ripped jeans and play some Dio or Spineshank. Or Seraphim Shock. Ooh, or Luci Turilli...Lacrimas Profundere..(See, if your band name is a foreign language, it's that much more goth. :-D)

Random tangents, and the fact I go off on them more than I speak about the subject at hand.

Those who decide because you don't like the Beatles, you have a terrible taste in music and don't deserve an iota of respect.

Lists.

The fact that I'm a cheery, talkative person, and have the reputation of being a sulky, unnaproachable type.

Clothing that is innapropriatly cut, worn, designed, and thought out. See: All of today's fashions.

There are more, I could go on, but I fear that it is your nerves I wear upon!

Nonsensical, ill-placed, badly rhyming blabber. (I lie, I love that.)

::Edit::
Typos.

deathstalker
03-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by phazeshifter
My other peeve is people who can't speak properly.
One of mine is people who try to correct others, but fail to realize they are just as guilty. Your post should read, "...people who can't properly speak." Automagfreek is just as guilty.:) Yes, I'm sure I'm quite guilty of it myself.

To continue the grammar/spelling pet peeves, some of mine are people who do not understand the correct use of apostrophes and people who end sentences with prepositions.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who do not understand the meaning of "slower traffic keep right".

Sooky, you must work in my building because it's absolutely pathetic. Upon speaking with a female co-worker, women are just as guilty. The two of us keep a list of people whose hands we will not shake.

Newbie215
03-07-2003, 11:11 PM
My Pet Peev is when people are around me that i know can d@mn well speek english and chose not to THIS IS AMERICA for cryin out loud speek the toung or get the f out

tsc
03-07-2003, 11:30 PM
*ahem* If I may, on behalf of the other language peevers, correct this? Thank you.

"My Pet Peev is when people are around me that i know can d@mn well speek english and chose not to THIS IS AMERICA for cryin out loud speek the toung or get the f out"

"My pet peeve is when it is brought to my attention that my aqquantinces, most of which are perfectly capable of speaking English in order to converse in daily life, choose not to. Why, this is AMERICA, for gosh's sake. They should really try to adapt more to the language and speak it regularly, or live in areas in which their particular language is spoken."

Sooky
03-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by deathstalker

Sooky, you must work in my building because it's absolutely pathetic. Upon speaking with a female co-worker, women are just as guilty. The two of us keep a list of people whose hands we will not shake.
Hehe, actually it's my college. I used to work at a lumber mill a while back, and that place was unbelieveable!:eek: