PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Retro, and Emag On/Off pins different?

JEDI
03-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Why is there a difference in length between the Rtpro/retro on/off pins different in length than the Emag on/off pins. They're the same valve, so why would one be different than the other. What advantage would AGD want the Emag to have over the retro? (valve wise). I heard if you buy an X valve for your Emag, you'd want to replace the pin, any truth to this?

Gunga
03-06-2003, 01:06 PM
The various guns have various gripframes/rails/sears. So the dimensions are different. Thus the on/off pin lengths have to be different. Too long of a pin and you won't be able to fire, too short of a pin and bad things happen, like replacements of bolts & sears.

JEDI
03-06-2003, 01:12 PM
So if the X-valve was made with the X-mag in mind, would you need to change the pin for an Emag? An after market Retro valve is geared toward which gun? Basically any time you swap a valve, you need to also swap the pin corresponding to the gun you plan on putting it on?

Load SM5
03-06-2003, 01:24 PM
That's right.

Gunga
03-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by JEDI
So if the X-valve was made with the X-mag in mind, would you need to change the pin for an Emag? An after market Retro valve is geared toward which gun? Basically any time you swap a valve, you need to also swap the pin corresponding to the gun you plan on putting it on?

BlackVCG covered the on/off pins in the Tech Forum. Thus I plagarize:

On/Off pins:

E-Mag/X-Mag : .712" w/ brass top and double o-ring top.

E-Mag .725" w/ aluminum top and single o-ring top.

RT-Pro: .765"

ReTtro Valve/X-Valve/Classic RT: .750"

Automag Classic/Minimag: .750"

So you need the appropriately sized on/off pin for the gun in question, no matter what valve you're using.

JEDI
03-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys. Learn something new every day. I think my Emag was updated to a .712" from the .725" when I sent it in a few months ago. So I guess that makes sense.

dre1919
03-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Just for information sake here, I have a Hyperframe installed on a classic RT and they replace the on/off pin when they put the frame on the gun. They replace the standard .750 on/off with a .770 usually. A little FYI...

piccolo_dbz39
03-06-2003, 02:53 PM
so, if i bought a x-valve for my classic mag, i would use the valve pin form my valve already on the gun in the x-valve???

Gunga
03-06-2003, 03:08 PM
No, you'd use the on/off pin that comes with the X-Valve. The lengths of the pins are the same though. The pins themselves are different.

piccolo_dbz39
03-06-2003, 03:12 PM
so, buy a x-valve, and just slap that baby on my gun and go kick some booty???

JEDI
03-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Gunga
No, you'd use the on/off pin that comes with the X-Valve. The lengths of the pins are the same though. The pins themselves are different.
I'm sorry if I'm confusing the issue/ my ignorance, but how can the pins be the same but different.
I thought we established that each gun reqires a certain length pin based on the frame/ sear/ bla bla, so wouldnt you need a different pin for a minimag & Xvalve combo, then you would for a 68 & Xvalve combo. Again, sorry, I'm not quite getting it.

Jerhew
03-06-2003, 03:52 PM
the xvalve comes with the proper pin for the 68 or mini(as they are the same)
if you want to put an xvalve on an rtpro or emag you need to change to the proper corresponding length pin

as far as the same but different question...
their length is the same...but they're different diameters i believe

Halliday
03-06-2003, 03:59 PM
So confusing! Ack.

Gunga
03-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by JEDI
I'm sorry if I'm confusing the issue/ my ignorance, but how can the pins be the same but different.
I thought we established that each gun reqires a certain length pin based on the frame/ sear/ bla bla, so wouldnt you need a different pin for a minimag & Xvalve combo, then you would for a 68 & Xvalve combo. Again, sorry, I'm not quite getting it.

The only thing the same about the pins is the length. Here's a pic of your standard Auto/Minimag on/off pin.
http://store.airgun.com/agdprod/images/parts/on_off_pin_lg.jpg

And here's the pin for the X-Valve.
http://store.airgun.com/agdprod/images/parts/Onpin__1.jpg

So they're both the same length, but different shapes.