PDA

View Full Version : RobAGD: Electricity Gone Bad, I Just Blew Something Up!

Jonesie
03-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Well, with the acquisition of my new E-Mag I HAD to try to wire up the Warp to run off the E-Mag Battery. No problem, right? Wrong. ;)

For those of you keeping score at home, I was trying to follow Rob's directions, found at http://www.robagd.com/revy-hack/ I was testing the 12V regulator when it happened. I don't know what happened, I followed the drawing exactly (I think). The only difference being instead of using a 9V snap for the end, I left the wires, so I could hook up an alternate means of connection.

Anyway, I put some mini aligator clips and attached them to the ends of the unused wires, then clipped them to the E-Mag battery's terminals. I guess with all of the floipping in Rob's drawing I accidentally swapped the red for black...?

I hooked them up, then turned to grab my MultiMeter not 6" away. Then, there was a LOUD POP! and I ended up on the floor... :D Apparently I blew one of the capacitors. I discovered (the hard way) that those little suckers are packed with feathers or something? I thought it was snowing.

I tested the battery with the multimeter and it seems fine. It sure looks OK. I'm gonna throw it on the gun real quick to be sure.

Color me an idiot, just please don't flame me. I'm not that saavy with electronics, I'm a computer geek. I leave the wiring to those who know how.

Rob, maybe you could refine your plans for this rig? Anyway, off to RadioShack for a new capacitor...

Later ~ Jonesie

manike
03-06-2003, 06:02 PM
You didn't let the magic smoke out did you? :D

LittMag
03-06-2003, 06:02 PM
If you put a capacitor in the wrong direction, they have been known to explode :D

Major Ho
03-06-2003, 07:09 PM
I talked to him yesterday and he was on his way out to LA of the LA Open I think. I think he'll be gone for the weekend...

Muzikman
03-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Manike,
Doesn't sound like he activated the smoke feature, but never know;)

sniper1rfa
03-06-2003, 08:01 PM
hehe, caps are FUN! :D

Jonesie
03-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by LittMag
If you put a capacitor in the wrong direction, they have been known to explode :D

Really!?!?!? (not sarcasm) I guess I should hit the library for a book on electronics, no? So Caps have to go a certain direction? I'll keep that in mind. (Time to blow-up Rob's picture, and perhaps another capacitor) :D

Actually, I saw very little smoke, but I think the fill those things with feathers! It literally looked like it was snowing (of a pillow fight between two chicks in their underware!)

I tell ya, forget the fireworks on the 4th, I'mm buyin a bunch of capacitors - FAR cheaper!

halB
03-06-2003, 08:30 PM
and another person discovers the joy of capacitor blow upness

try 12 gram co2 cartridges too. uber fun

sniper1rfa
03-06-2003, 08:39 PM
well, electrolytic capacitors are directional (marked byt the big minus sign on the negative side).

yagrmiestr
03-06-2003, 08:39 PM
Meet Mr. Electrolytic Capactitor. ;) (Sniper beat me to it!) They are polarized and have an anode and cathode. As you found out they will explode when you hook them up wrong and scare the hell out of you!!! :D Be glad it wasn't a Tantulum cap, they'll give you a nice fireworks show!! If none of the other components on the board got fried, you can just replace the cap.

ShooterJM
03-07-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by manike
You didn't let the magic smoke out did you? :D

hehehe magic smoke! cough....may have done that a few times myself.....:p

Jonesie
03-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Well, I guess ya'll should all point and laugh at the Electronics NOOB! :D

I guess you could say that Capacitor OWN3D me! :)

I'll give it another try this weekend. "If at first it blows up, buy more parts!"

Later ~ Dave

warpfeedmod
03-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Jonesie

Apparently I blew one of the capacitors. I discovered (the hard way) that those little suckers are packed with feathers or something? I thought it was snowing.

would this have made it a "SnoCap"? hehe sorry couldn't resist.

digitard
03-07-2003, 11:07 AM
hehe,
Remember ... Black/White wires are usually the grounds, and colored wires are usually the "live" wires.

Sincerely,
Dave K

BarryTolar
03-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Thank You to Manike

I love hearing Magic Smoke comments. Didn't know that was used across the pond.

And Jonesie all us computer geeks are supposed to be able to wire stuff up - well unless you tell me your a code monkey :)

Barry

Jonesie
03-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by BarryTolar
Thank You to Manike

I love hearing Magic Smoke comments. Didn't know that was used across the pond.

And Jonesie all us computer geeks are supposed to be able to wire stuff up - well unless you tell me your a code monkey :)

Barry

OH NO! No code monkey here. I'm a network guy. However, I have been known to whip out some PHAT scripts when needed. :D

Jonesie

BTAutoMag
03-07-2003, 01:06 PM
lol, i wish i were there... ever have a remote hose blow out while youre wearing it on your back? thats a fun experience.

Jonesie
03-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by BTAutoMag
lol, i wish i were there... ever have a remote hose blow out while youre wearing it on your back? thats a fun experience.

Lukily no. But at MGO I did see a guy slip in the mud WALKING off one of the fields. He put his gun hand down to break his fall. HE snapped the reg right off his ?Cocker? and broke his armo in two places. Pretty gross! But that reg was hissing a pretty loud stream of gas! :)

Dave

BTAutoMag
03-07-2003, 03:44 PM
owie

Blazingace
03-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Jonesie. I love your sig. pic.:D :D

TheJester
03-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Jonesie
I discovered (the hard way) that those little suckers are packed with feathers or something? I thought it was snowing.

it's actually basicly more or less wax paper beleive it or not

Jonesie
03-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Blazingace
Jonesie. I love your sig. pic.:D :D

Thanks, the saying is from a bumber sticker from 'Nam. But I made the pic myself... :D

Dave

hitech
03-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by BarryTolar
...all us computer geeks are supposed to be able to wire stuff up - well unless you tell me your a code monkey

Hey, I can wire stuff and I'm a "code monkey"! ;)

BTAutoMag
03-12-2003, 03:36 PM
and all this time i thought you were just a monkey

hitech
03-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Hey now... ;)

FalconGuy016
03-12-2003, 03:41 PM
lol I want to do this

BTAutoMag
03-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by hitech
Hey now... ;) youre an all star get your game on oh yea

sneakyhacker420
03-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by halB
try 12 gram co2 cartridges too. uber fun
LMAO

i threw one in my friends wood-burning stove made of 1/2" thick cast iron and 5 seconds later there was a freakin big azz bang from it exploding :eek:, it didnt hurt the stove at all, but it was pretty cool :p