PDA

View Full Version : Co2 and retro/x-valve

TheJester
03-08-2003, 07:58 PM
i'm not sure if this belongs in this forum, or the tech...but seeing that it hasn't happened to me yet, so there is not problem w/ my gun.

but what happens to an retro/x-valve when co2 is attempted to be run threw it? i know it's not good too, but what exactly happens, will it seize up if you just gas it up, but don't fire? or do you have to try to fire it before it bugers everything up? and why can't you use Co2...not that i did w/ my mag anyway, i think i used co2 for like 1 game w/ the stock valve.

halB
03-08-2003, 08:11 PM
i think its because the retro valve heats up the air, and since its co2, itll heat up and expand, resulting in a lot higher pressure, meaning uncontrolable fps and explosions!

xen_100
03-08-2003, 08:41 PM
no....that wont happen.......but with co2 if you get ANY liquid in the valve at all, it will cause the o-ring to swell and break. not a good thing.

sniper1rfa
03-08-2003, 09:01 PM
actually, both of you are wrong.

co2 will not damage a retro any more than it will a classic. the problem is when you fire fast. The valve recharges so fast it sucks liquid into the gun (the co2 doesnt boil off fast enough). This cause Very large velocity spikes.

i have actually run a retro on co2, but i took many precautions to be sure this didnt happen. the tank still got wicked cold, though...

xen_100
03-08-2003, 09:16 PM
so I was half right ;) ....it does have to do with liquid co2 getting in the valve......it still cant do the seals any good.

Thordic
03-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Another reason is the orings in the on/off aren't teflon. Classics use teflon because it can hold up to the cold without leaking. If the on/off in the RT gets cold CO2 and freezes up, it'll leak like mad.

Kevmaster
03-08-2003, 09:46 PM
some of the seals in the RT valve are not made for co2. you are correct. if you replace those and make sure zero liquid gets into the valve you should be ok. but again, firing fsat with hte co2 in the chamber will cause high velocity fluctuations because of how fast the co2 is dumped into the chamber