PDA

View Full Version : Mag w/ Flatline ??

Bubonic Plauge
03-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Ok, before I get the ridicule, I know what you all are thinking. Thing is I played today on a Rec field, a player had an A5 flatline. Though he didnt shoot across the entire field, he did get an extra bunker or two distance (15 feet maybee or so).
My questions is have any of you had any experience with flatline barrels? They seem really inaccurate to me, but could they change the face of the game? It shot far and the trajectory didnt arc, hence the name: flatline.

Any way to get a flatline barrel on a mag? The X mags are cocker threaded, and you can get a flatline for cockers...

The "bubonic plague/black death" mutated when a black rats had sex with a brown rats. Seriously.

HoboJudge
03-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Here is one.

mykroft
03-09-2003, 09:58 PM
No joy, the Flatline Cockers have a heavily modified breech. EDIT: I stand Corrected.

A Galactic Systemz Z-Body combined with a large bore barrel does the same thing.

Personally, it's fun to stand out in the open and dodge balls when you are only in Flatline range. The bloody things are so slow at the end of their trajectory they'll bounce off anything.

Bubonic Plauge
03-09-2003, 11:36 PM
I dont know about the breaks though, I can under arm lob a paintball at a wall with my arm, it will break. Flatline distances are traveling faster than I can throw paintball?

Halliday
03-09-2003, 11:39 PM
I've shot and been shot at by Flatlines. When I was doing he shooting I could not hit a darn thing. When I was the target I just watch the balls sail through the air and sidestep them easy.

AlabamaMan
03-10-2003, 02:07 AM
I had a flatline with my model 98. Well i sold the 98 but the guy just wouldn't buy the flatline from me. So i still have it. I'm not really that big a fan of it. I bought into the gimmick what can i say.

Sparq
03-10-2003, 11:08 AM
I know a guy who makes a point of stepping out from behind cover, catching incoming balls from a flatline, and putting them in his hopper. Sometimes he waves to the shooter and yells "Thanks for the paint!". At that range he hasn't had a break on him yet.

Bubonic Plauge
03-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Well, let me clarify. I am not at all concerned with the 140 ft long ball. What the barrel can do though is get an extra 10-15ft (about a good bunker). How many times have you needed just one more bunker in distance? =)

Army
03-10-2003, 11:44 AM
Using the Magnus Effect, the ball will use atmospheric pressure to deny gravity for a little bit longer, but it can do nothing for air resistance. The ball will travel farther, but will slow down at the same speed as a non-spun ball. Your actual usage range, that distance and speed that the ball will reliably break, remains the same. Any distance after that, is simply annoying to those you shot at!

Hexis
03-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Army
Any distance after that, is simply annoying to those you shot at!

…or amusing to them. I know it is for me.

Koosh
03-10-2003, 04:06 PM
I too used a flatline on my first gun, the model 98. I saw no use for it. It did increase the range as promised, but I noticed the accuracy went to hell. It was fine for about the average length of a normal ball, but when it got into the "flatline only" range, it became REALLY inconsistent. Could fire 12 different shots, and each one would curve into a different direction. I only played with it for 3 weeks, then sold it to one of my friends...who used it for 3 weeks, then sold it on ebay for more then I bought it for, DAMMIT! :)

Evil Bob
03-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Dennis Tippman had by far the best product demonstration show casing the difference a flatline barrel makes:

100 foot target range with 6 foot ceiling. Several different brands of markers. He even let players use their own markers and try to hit the targets at the opposite end.

The results? None but the flatline could hit the targets. Every single marker that players brought needed a higher ceiling clearance to arc the ball high enough to reach, he had purposely used a lower ceiling to demonstrate the flat trajectory.

What does a flat trajectory do for you? Easy, if you can see it, you can hit it (doesn't mean it will break once you do hit it if it's at extreme range). See a window of opportunity through three trees, you can take it.

What's bad about the flatline: the rotational vector is at right angles to the barrel alignment. If you tilt the barrel a little to the left or right, that will induce some curve to the flight path in the direction you are tilting. The more the tilt, the more radical the curveball. To hit the target accurately, you need to hold the marker right, which makes it not a very ideal marker for playing tight in speed ball.

-Evil Bob