PDA

View Full Version : How many of you really see a need for T3?

dre1919
03-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Seriously...I love the Terminator movies just as much as the next guy, but do we really need a Terminator 3? Wasn't that the whole point of T2 was that they had destroyed all trace of where Skynet had come from and that was it...fini, over. James Cameron didn't want to do another one, so he jumped ship on it...Arnold was the one who wanted this picture made. Well, Arnold and the studios who can cash in on it. I mean, we get no Linda Hamilton, we get a Terminator whose been age-progressed apparently, essentially the same plot as the first two, and a female Terminator as the twist. Sad thing is, I'll probably go see it just for all the mass carnage, I was just wondering how many of you plan on seeing it?

beam
03-10-2003, 10:51 AM
I guess when he says, "I'll be back." he really means it!

hahaha sorry for the corny humor.

But yeah, enough already.

shartley
03-10-2003, 10:55 AM
I think that the reason they made another one is that they make money, and folks do like watching them. People also don’t go to see them to see something that makes perfect sense… it is the characters and the action…. Similar to playing a video game. We want to see the same basic things but with new “footage” or characters. Movies are much the same as video games in that way.

I think they can do several more Terminators and still not reach the point that it should be dropped. The “time” factor allows for that. :D Look at all the Rockies, Rambos, Friday the 13ths, etc. and THOSE still made money but were really stupid (the horror ones) with no rationale for the next movie.

There are some series that I look forward to watching….. Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Terminator, Rambo (yes, it is like a car wreck but I can’t take my eyes away), etc…. and we need more Live Action SPAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I want things that always make sense and are intellectual in nature, I turn in the History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc. (which is a bane to my wife… LOL)… I watch Movies to be entertained, pure and simple. :)

RamboPreacher
03-10-2003, 11:03 AM
a "need" - no
but as far as entertainmebnt goes, I will pay to go see it and then probably add it to my dvd collection.

krafty
03-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by RamboPreacher
a "need" - no
but as far as entertainmebnt goes, I will pay to go see it and then probably add it to my dvd collection.

Ditto.

Did we really need Crossroads? Any Madonna movie? How about all the pathetic direct-to-video sequels from Disney? It's just about making money.

dre1919
03-10-2003, 11:15 AM
What's really strange is, when they were first making the film they were planning on having Lance Henrikson (one of the cops, and "Bishop" from Aliens) be the Terminator. How different would the world be (being that was a huge pop media icon image of the 80's), and where would the movie franchise have gone if he did end up playing that role? That's not to say Lance isn't a good actor, but that movie really started Arnold's career, and it almost didn't happen.

That's a good point though shartley, I think most people really like seeing new stories about characters they love. It's the reason for "franchising" movies into trilogys and things to begin with. I guess maybe I'd be more excited if they would explore more of the story in a different way, like say the way Star Wars decided instead of going forward they'd go back. I always thought a film centering around Reese and all the fighting in the future with the skinless Terminators and the HK's would have been cool. Although, I do think they would have had to have Arnold as his cyborg model in there for the extra star power. Micheal Beihn might not draw enough on his own, even though he's a good actor.

dansim
03-10-2003, 11:16 AM
but see sky net isnt really dead they still have a terminator arm remember ahnolds arm was torn of in the foundary in part two and never acounted for:eek: :cool:

dre1919
03-10-2003, 11:22 AM
^^^
Hmmm...I must have missed that. I thought they threw it all in the molten metal and made sure they accounted for everything.

Kevmag
03-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by dansim
but see sky net isnt really dead they still have a terminator arm remember ahnolds arm was torn of in the foundary in part two and never acounted for:eek: :cool:

I thought that was the first movie... In the second movie, Arnold rides the cable down into the molten metal and as he goes under he gives the thumbs up sign. Can't do that with just one arm.

If his arm comes off in both movies, they really need to issue a recall notice... dang defective arms...

ShooterJM
03-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Nah, his arm was torn off, he switched to the alternate power and then blew the t1000 into the molten metal. Then he grabbed the chain with the one good gloved arm adn was lowered just as his arm was going under he let go of the chain and gave the thumbs up and sank. :D

Can't remember if they threw the arm in or not.

Yeah I'll go. It'll be a good mindless flick.

Dayspring
03-10-2003, 01:32 PM
SOMEBODY WHO AGREES WITH ME!!!

John Leguizamo MADE that movie as The Violator.

Originally posted by shartley
etc…. and we need more Live Action SPAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShooterJM
03-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Yep spawn ruled! I really want to see a good punisher movie and venom movie though!

dre1919
03-10-2003, 02:34 PM
^^
That's my boy right there! I'm a huge Punisher fan...I was really glad to hear Marvel wants to make a serious try at producing a good Punisher film more dedicated to the comic. I was also happy they chose Artisan to produce it...I like their work. Supposedly, the rumor is they want to make it a "franchise" of films utilizing a "non-action hero type" actor who isn't really known. Marvel feels the dark, anti-hero character The Punisher is could be very effective on screen. It's about time. Then we can all pretend the movie they made with Dolph Lundgren just didn't happen. ;)

MantisMag
03-10-2003, 02:37 PM
am i a geek because i was thinking of computers with T3 connections?

spazzed
03-10-2003, 02:42 PM
T3's gonna rock.

More Spawn, NOW.

Dolph Lungren Punisher = cheesy goodness.

A new Punisher devoted to the comic? I just creamed my pants at the thought...

While we're on the subject, anyone know whatever happened to the Doom movie? (Doom the videogame, ID software) I know id had been picked up and dropped a couple times...

ShooterJM
03-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Dolph who played who in the what now? :D

Yeah I guess there is one, just found more info on it. Looks like a 30M dollar budget and scheduled for 2004. WOOOHOOOO

spazzed
03-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ShooterJM
Dolph who played who in the what now? :D

Yeah I guess there is one, just found more info on it. Looks like a 30M dollar budget and scheduled for 2004. WOOOHOOOO

DOOM?!?!?!?! WAAAAA~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

ShooterJM
03-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Ahhh no! Not doom, punisher. Lemme ask my buddy though, he's waiting for doom movie too. He might know something

spazzed
03-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Oh :mad:

Either way.. PUUUNISHeRRRRR!!!! WAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!11 :D :D :D :D :D :D

ShooterJM
03-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Yeah. My buddy said Warner brothers bought the rights to a Doom 3 movie in sept of last year and have 15 months to start filming. But WB is saying it might be rated pg-13. :mad:

spazzed
03-10-2003, 03:19 PM
I won't see it if it's pg-13 :mad:

GreasyPigeon
03-10-2003, 04:37 PM
ok to help clear up this arm thing in the Terminator, the arm that was thrown in the molten metal was from the first terminator, and same with the chip, the arm that was ripped off wasn't throw in its some where in the factory. and might i ask where did you find this information on the punisher and dooom3???

ShooterJM
03-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Doom - info was from Roommate A, who's a doom freak. Beats me where he got it, probably a website.

Punisher - I heard in a Arista press release and Roommate B is a fellow punisher freak and he also saw it on a fansite.

dre1919
03-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Oh man...where did I find that info? I wish I could remember the website. Basically, I did a search for upcoming comic movies, or a new punisher movie or something like that and it took me to a site that monitors comic book films and what's being made on them. It reports whose playing the characters, what the scripts are looking like, yada, yada. Basically, the info they had was Artisan producing it, they weren't looking at mainstream "action" type stars as the lead, and it was going to be dark and violent but following the comic much better. The kind of adaptation like Tim Burton's "Batman" was.

Kevmag
03-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by MantisMag
am i a geek because i was thinking of computers with T3 connections?

That's what I thought about when I saw the title of the tread! And to answer your question, YES.

Hasty8
03-10-2003, 06:57 PM
it will probablly be as interesting as "Collateral Damage".

On a sidenote, I feel that the entire "Terminator" line of movies are ridiculous on their face. Temporally they are not feasable and acting wise they just plain stink.

TransMan
03-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Yes there needs to be as many of them as possible they just need more hot girls and blood then they will be perfect :D

RamboPreacher
03-10-2003, 07:07 PM
no, nononnooooo
just need more made up-tech stuff!

TransMan
03-10-2003, 07:10 PM
ya tech stuff is cool but death destruction and boobies has never made anything worse ;)

Hasty8
03-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by GreasyPigeon
ok to help clear up this arm thing in the Terminator, the arm that was thrown in the molten metal was from the first terminator, and same with the chip, the arm that was ripped off wasn't throw in its some where in the factory.

That's true but it still doesn't change the fact that the entire SKynet/Terminator line couldn't come about any way.

What did we learn from the second movie? That the arm and the chip found from the first terminator to come back is what inspired the designers to go in a bold new direction, which created the first AI which lead to Skynet. Unfortunately, Skynet needs to be created before the terminator can come back through time and Skynet was created due to the remains of the terminator that came back through time.

This is called a causality loop and is basiclly an impossible mathematical problem. There is no concrete initiating cause to start the loop.

The only way they can get out of it is to somehow try to argue that Skynet was created even without the arm and chip from the original terminator. And even if the arm was found both chips were destroyed and if you remember from the second film Miles Dyson says:

"It was scary stuff, radically advanced. It was shattered... didn't work. But it gave us ideas, It took us in new directions... things we would never have thought of. All this work is based on it."

Those five seconds of speech really screws the writers. This goes to show that the entire Cyberdyne research would be impossible without the chip. The arm was worthless as it was just a machine but the chip was crucial for them to try to reverse engineer.

So, what point am I trying to make? Well, basiclly, just that the entire T line of movies is totally impossible due to temporal mechanics. With out the chip there is no R&D. With no R&D there is no Skynet. With no Skynet there is no chip going back into the past to kill Sarah Connor. With out the chip in the past there is no R&D. Get it?

RamboPreacher
03-10-2003, 07:25 PM
nono, I thought the company already existed adn that their recovery and R&D of the chip/parts helped them go that direction. I didn't think that the existance of the parts from the future was what made the company exist to begin with.

And what company in their right mind doesn't keep off-site storage of backup media, and in the case of larger companies, entire mirrored sites for business recovery/resumption.

yea, like only one guy knew anything about the chip - I can seel alot of possible directions. and they may not, or need not have to do with the company even.

it's about entertainment, not whether thousand year old jump jets will fly on thousand year old fuel! :rolleyes:

Hasty8
03-10-2003, 11:06 PM
That's an avenue I never did consider. It is likely that the company will have some version of the work mirrored elswhere even though the entire building was destroyed. And yes, the company did exist prior to the finding of the remains of the first erminator but as Miles Dyson said it was the discovery of the chip that set them in that "radical new direction". His words clearly imply a sense of neccessity of the chip, that without it Skynet would of never been created. IF that is so your note about the work being stored elsewhere still doesn't solve the temporal anamoly presented in the T movies which is truly a what came first? The chicken or the egg? Skynet or the chip?

And I understand that it is just entertainment which is what I said at the begining of my previous post but I, along with a few of my friends, tend to pick movies apart like that. It's part of what makes them fun.

(of course, just to play devils advocate, Miles Dyson does say that when he asked the company where they got the chip from he was told not to ask. This implies a need for secrecy and it is conceivable that the company did not back up the work done to a secondary site. However, since this was never fully explained it allows the creators of T3 an avenue to allow the creation of SKynet but again, it never answers the paradox that the T movies presents us with)

dre1919
03-11-2003, 11:17 AM
I like your argument on the issue Hasty8, I've often thought about the same thing when watching the movies myself. I tell you the paradox that messes with my head is the whole Reese being John Conner's father. It's as though he has a retro-active father of sorts in the future that he must choose to send back. If Reese doesn't volunteer (or John Conner doesn't pick him to go back), then JC wouldn't exist because the make up of Reese and Sarah makes him who he is. Any other father would have produced a different child entirely. Ok...so Reese must go back to impregnate Sarah, but there doesn't seem to be a starting point to that loop because how could John have been born, grown up, and functioning in the future until the exact point where Reese goes back, thereby altering the future? My head's spinning right now thinking about it.

Hasty8
03-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Because of the entire concept of time travel.

JC knew that Reese was his father and that is why he chose Reese to go back but that entire paradox is secondary to the primary one regarding the creation of Skynet.

-=Squid=-
03-13-2003, 09:00 PM
My face exploded.