PDA

View Full Version : If we go...

beam
03-10-2003, 02:33 PM
...to this war with Iraq, every American (whether they supported the war or not) needs to support and honor the men and women who fought when they return.

I am getting this sickening feeling that we are far enough removed from the Vietnam era that most Americans (young ones especially) don't know what kind of horror it is for a soldier to come home to mocking, spitting, badgering, hate.

I was not in the military. However, I have a theory as to why that may be. You see, both my grandpas served in WWII. To most of the world, America especially, they were heroes. When the time came, my father enlisted in the Air Force and served in Thailand during Vietnam. His welcome home was a bit different. He may have thought that he would come home to the same welcome as his dad. Hometown parades, assemblies, dinners. Wrong. Why didn't I enter the military? I didn't think my dad was a hero. I have not talked to him EVER in my 28 years of life about his experiences in Vietnam. I have heard him mention different stories, like how sweet the sound of an F-4 is. And how you can always tell the new guys when they come into land. But I have never discussed with him his experience upon returning home. Do we understand what a dispicable thing it was to treat men, some of whom had no choice, with such disdain?

So, my duty is this: Eventhough I never have served in the armed forces, I will fulfill my role as an American and support the men and women who defend me. I HAVE to do this wether I agree with the conflict or not. It is not their decision on which battles to fight. That is left up to the elected officials that I help put in office. Any frustration should be directed to them at the next election, not to soldiers at the next arriving flight.

If you are in the military or have been, please don't reply to this thread and thank me, it's my job to thank you.

I didn't intend for this thread to be some emotional/overly-patriotic/wish-wash. If it comes across as such, ignore it. I just wanted to give some of us a heads up, especially young ones. It may or may not happen. But if your friends all start thinking it's cool to dog on soldiers, you better take a stand and quash that crap right then and there!

Johnny_Reb
03-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Amen I completely agree with you man.

Python14
03-10-2003, 04:56 PM
You don't have to worry about this youngin'. I have the upmost respect for someone who puts their life on the line for us and our country. I'll be sure everyone I know has this respect too.

Tunaman
03-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Bravo! Well said. We will welcome them back with all of the respect that they deserve. I love this great country of ours, and if the great leaders that we have elected say its time...its time. God bless America, and all who have fought for our freedom.;)

shartley
03-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Yes very true… and I will say openly… Anyone who does not support our troops IS Un-American and better not come around ME. And guess what? George Bush is the Commander in Chief.. the TOP Trooper. Get the picture folks?

And if you don’t like me saying that… TOUGH. I am tired of everyone being worried about everyone else’s “sensitivities” but screw loyal and supporting Americans.

magking1971
03-10-2003, 07:56 PM
ALL solders have my utmost respect.

Jack_Dubious
03-10-2003, 08:26 PM
While Im totally against this war, I agree 100% with Beams statement.

JDub

Jack_Dubious
03-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by shartley
Yes very true… and I will say openly… Anyone who does not support our troops IS Un-American and better not come around ME. And guess what? George Bush is the Commander in Chief.. the TOP Trooper. Get the picture folks?

I was unsupportive of Clinton during his presidency...good thing I didnt come around you then. :rolleyes:

Bush is the President of the United States and I am a Citizen. Its my *right* to question the actions of the President. He works for me. (and you)

JDub

shartley
03-10-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Jack_Dubious

I was unsupportive of Clinton during his presidency...good thing I didnt come around you then. :rolleyes:

Bush is the President of the United States and I am a Citizen. Its my *right* to question the actions of the President. He works for me. (and you)

JDub
I was not supportive of ALL Clintons actions while he was President either… but I would not stand by and let people burn his picture or an effigy of him, or talk about killing him, or anything else other than addressing a policy or action. There is a difference. And during any Military Action.. I WAS THERE… yup. So as you can see there is a difference… and a big one.

Of course you should “question” the actions of the President, and ANY politician, but that was not what I was talking about…… but somehow I think you KNOW that. ;) Go fight with someone else.. I am still trying to calm down from one agitator, I don’t need another.

Jack_Dubious
03-10-2003, 08:49 PM

Of course you should “question” the actions of the President, and ANY politician, but that was not what I was talking about…… but somehow I think you KNOW that. ;) Go fight with someone else.. I am still trying to calm down from one agitator, I don’t need another.

Shartley Ive seen you take on large groups of ninja agitators without breaking a sweat! :D

Sorry, I was not sure what you meant. In your statement you just talked about "support" and not "burning effigies, talk of assination, etc"....so I took "support" to mean any kind of support. Hope you understand.

JDub

cphilip
03-10-2003, 08:53 PM
time to put aside politics and get behind your country and countrymen.

shartley
03-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Shartley Ive seen you take on large groups of ninja agitators without breaking a sweat! :D

Sorry, I was not sure what you meant. In your statement you just talked about "support" and not "burning effigies, talk of assination, etc"....so I took "support" to mean any kind of support. Hope you understand.

JDub
LOL Thank you, I do understand. As for my normal composure….. I have been very stressed lately, and with the current state of things (globally) it has not helped. I hope most of AO understands this and cuts me the same slack they do the average poster. ;)

beam
03-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Ninja agitators!! hahaha had me ROTF!

And shartley, I had to do a double take....i thought you called yourself an average poser. :)

The thing that started this post was that this afternoon for lunch, I saw a table of Servicemen in BDUs sitting at a table, and I actually wanted to go over to them and thank them. (I didn't cause that wouldve freaked them out)

But then I wondered if they feel like the whole world and half of America is against them. I mean, if the US acts unilaterally without the UN, I would feel alone.

Kevmaster
03-10-2003, 10:26 PM
i couldnt agree more. When our country is at war, whether you personally believe in this war or not, we must stand firm and support or soldiers. They are on the front lines risking their lives for the security of our country. They are being killed so that I can continue to type here right now on my computer.

There really isnt much more honorable than being a soldier

aaron_mag
03-11-2003, 12:43 AM

JDub

I'm with JDub. I would not tolerate disrespect against soldiers like my cousin. This is different, however, than blind faith in the leaders of our country. I will always reserve my right to question the actions of those leaders. Anything else is UN-american!

Koosh
03-11-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by beam

I didn't think my dad was a hero. I have not talked to him EVER in my 28 years of life about his experiences in Vietnam. I have heard him mention different stories, like how sweet the sound of an F-4 is. And how you can always tell the new guys when they come into land. But I have never discussed with him his experience upon returning home. Do we understand what a dispicable thing it was to treat men, some of whom had no choice, with such disdain?

I'm in kind of the same boat. My father was in Vietnam as well, and hadn't talked about it at all in nearly 30 years... until last february.

My Senior AP English class was reading a GREAT book by Tim O'Brian called "The Things They Carried" (EVERYONE should read that book. Now.). Is about vietnam, hard to explain exactly, but my English teacher asked us if we knew anyone in the military at that time, and I mentioned my father. My teacher asked if he would mind coming in giving a presentation about it, and the wheels were set in motion. It eventually ended with my teacher coming in to my house, giving sort of a "pre-interview" with my dad, and then my dad going and talking about Vietnam for 90 minutes to my AP English class.

It was probably the time I have been the MOST proud of my father. My dad said it was good for him too. He even showed us the medals he earned in the war, among them were a Silver star, a Bronze star, TWO purple Hearts, and a unit commendation. He said it was good for him to tell us about what life was like in Vietnam back then, and I believe it. Afterwards he seemed very happy, like something was lifted off of him.

He didn't go into too much detail about what it was like coming back, just alluded to a few things. Like "If anyone ever called me a baby-killer, it wouldn't matter if there were 3 fences and two dogs between me and them, they were going to get their face crushed in" :) My dad isn't the most subtle person...

The best part were the thank you cards we recieved later though. My english teacher even wrote a line I still remember. "During your presention the author side of me was saying; Man, he should write a book about this. The Father side of me was saying; I sure hope to God my son doesn't have to go through anything like this. And the teacher side of me was saying; Did he just mention how much better the Vietnam marijuana was then the states?" Lets just say my dad told the ENTIRE truth about a serviceman's life in 'Nam.

Sorry to get off topic in that, but what I belive we should do with our servicemen and women has already been stated here and by my Dad. But I also must remember that support of our troops shouldn't come without question. If we committ to a military action, we need to go all the way until completion. We need to make sure that any blood shed is NOT in vain...

nippinout
03-11-2003, 01:52 AM

Go fight with someone else.. I am still trying to calm down from one agitator, I don’t need another.

shartley is a big fat poopy head! :D

If I were a monkey, I would throw my poop at him. And then I would lick my fingers.

shartley
03-11-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by nippinout

shartley is a big fat poopy head! :D

If I were a monkey, I would throw my poop at him. And then I would lick my fingers.
LOLROF Thanks... I needed that. :)

Trench
03-11-2003, 06:46 AM
My dad is fighting and I am sorry... But if I see any protesters and mocking him... Esp. my friends and people I know... They will get the hell beat out of them...

Childish I know, but I suport and a proud so say that my dad is putting his life on the line willingly for their lasy butts.

Kevmaster
03-11-2003, 05:50 PM
to those of you who dont put blind faith in our government: you should. we elected our representives in this republic to represent our opinions and we should trust that they will. in fact, we must trust that they will do what we wish. as long as we know not otherwise, we must trust what our government tells us. Now, even as a conservative who right now would reelect bush in '04, if it comes out that he mislead our country and faked evidence (pre or post war) I would be first in line to burn him at the stake.