PDA

View Full Version : This is mostlikely why autococker are over rated

hostage
03-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Okay it amuses me to talk to field owners, field workers or guys behind a retail counter saleing paintball and tell me things like this.

The autococker shoots the futhest.

The autococker is the most accurate.

The automag is way to complex for most, autocockers are much simpler.

I wonder what they will say, if I ask them, "what weighs more a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?" It bugs me, then since they are in a place of athority they spread roomers, autocockers "shoot futher and are more accurate." I think I need to go to the local shops and show them how my mag which is not as accurate blah blah blah can out preform all of their guns! ARH!
-Doron

rifleman
03-11-2003, 12:04 AM
I believe the cocker has gotten so far in the paintball community because of one reason. It looks really cool--seriously, first time I saw one I was aww'ed. Seeing that block move back and forth not only makes it looks cool, I think it creates and illusion that the gun is firing faster than it "really" is.

Adam

InfinatyBPS
03-11-2003, 01:12 AM
I personaly think that the autococker is as popular as it is because there is so much you can do to it and add on it and such. The customizability possabilitys are endless.

DiRTyBuNNy
03-11-2003, 01:22 AM
I always thought they were popular because people are cattle..oh well...

Quackman71
03-11-2003, 01:28 AM
I happen to like my 97 cocker, and yes the back block is cool. (except when it hit me in the head that one time.)

ShowTime
03-11-2003, 01:30 AM
well i really like my cocker its never failed me but the mag being more complex lol now thats funny, there is like 3 billion moving peices to a cocker and how many ppl can really say they can time there own cocker???? but i might be just me but i bought a bushmaster and the cocker to me seemed way more accurate i dont know y but it just did, but i just bought an x-mag so lets see how this works out. but when i go to my local shop there nothing but idiots, they always say how the cocker is the easiest to fix and shoots the best i mean some ppl make me lauph.

FeuerFri
03-11-2003, 01:44 AM
yeah, cockers are alot like hondas and their vtec bs, the owners buy into hype usually, but there are a few who actully know what they are doing when driving and upgrading parts. now neons are like mags, they can out prefrom the rice, and have a loyal following ( www.neons.org hehe), kinda eary how closly they coinside.

Jerhew
03-11-2003, 02:28 AM
cocker simpler to fix than a mag
that's just ludicrous
you don't have to time a mag...
pfft

i do agree about the whole backblock moving thing
it does make it seem like the cocker is doing more...
and hey it does look cool...:D

and yeah that add on's appeal to people
everyone wants their marker to stand out...
that cocker has so many exposed parts to change or anno
its insane
and not to mention the tinker factor
lots of people feel the need to **** with their guns
the cocker is perfect for the guy constantly wanting to adjust something

ghideon
03-11-2003, 03:06 AM
I'm kinda put off when you compared my Mag to a Neon...but I'll get over it.

Last week when I was out playing my plain-jane all black Emag I didn't turn that many heads when I was holding it. A few people were knowledgeable enough (the field owner and a ref) to know it was. Every one was goo-gahing the KAPP cocker on the field.

Until I started ripping on the trigger at the chrono (yeah, sometimes I do show off too much, but I'm not an arse about it). That turned some heads and then people started asking me "What gun is that?" Or when I had a loose connection and my electronics cut out on me. "What do mean mechanical mode? Wow, that's cool!"

It may not be flashy and all bling bling, but it has it where it counts. And to me, that counts more than all the anno and milling in the world.

Jerhew
03-11-2003, 03:12 AM
lets face it
fancy anno jobs and rediculous milling is what the kiddies love to oooogle about
to each his own i guess...
we know what we have...thats all that matters :D

RamboPreacher
03-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by rifleman
I believe the cocker has gotten so far in the paintball community because of one reason. It looks really cool--seriously, first time I saw one I was aww'ed. [clip]Interesting... I always thought a cocker; no matter what color or how it was milled or electronicfied, looks like a pumper with a bunch of pneumatics bolted on the front. Sometheing that didn't seem to be very cool to me.

joeyjoe367
03-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by RamboPreacher
Interesting... I always thought a cocker; no matter what color or how it was milled or electronicfied, looks like a pumper with a bunch of pneumatics bolted on the front. Sometheing that didn't seem to be very cool to me.

Yeah, it didn't really appeal to me either. I always thought that if you bit it once, there goes your reg, 3 way and ram.

This is all coming from a guy who used to tinker with a spyder and screw it up all the time. I've got my "tinker-patch" with my RT :) Never have to touch the thing, so I don't.

I Honestly wondered *how* closed bolt or whatever was more accurate when I first started playing. After a while, I got fed all this anti-physics crap and started to believe it.

haha, I also believed that cyclone bolts helped my spyder :rolleyes:

Anyway, thank god for AO, or I may have remained a blubbering idiot for the rest of my paintballing days. :D

ben_JD
03-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Jerhew
fancy anno jobs and rediculous milling is what the kiddies love to oooogle aboutThat's why I'm getting the X-Mag. It shoots like a champ and I still get my pride petted.

Tom Sparkman
03-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Interesting... I always thought a cocker; no matter what color or how it was milled or electronicfied, looks like a pumper with a bunch of pneumatics bolted on the front. Sometheing that didn't seem to be very cool to me.

Rube Goldberg comes to mind. :)

Tom

FalconGuy016
03-11-2003, 04:04 PM
When is someone going to do a comprehensive test that shows that an autococker is not more accurate and it does not shoot farther than a mag? Ive seen a ton of shoot-farther tests but none on this one (like the only one that matters) Same barrel, same air, same distance, over a chrono.

mykroft
03-11-2003, 04:08 PM
FalconGuy16: Because anybody who is cluefull enough to understand the methodology necessary for a real test also knows enough physics to realize that's a waste of time.

joeyjoe367
03-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by mykroft
FalconGuy16: Because anybody who is cluefull enough to understand the methodology necessary for a real test also knows enough physics to realize that's a waste of time.

Exactly.

Krazy Ivan
03-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Here's something for you.. Why is it an "auto"-cocker, you have to cock it yourself, yet we have an "auto"-mag, that automatically cocks itself.... hrm...

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

That's always confused me, and I never get over it.

RamboPreacher
03-11-2003, 04:39 PM
never had to cock manually any of the autocockers I have ever owned!?

Krazy Ivan
03-11-2003, 04:41 PM
You have to pull the cocking rod, hence cock it.

personman
03-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Back in the old days (:p) when everyone used a pump, and semis were new, I guess budd developed it and wanted people to know it automatically pumped itself..
And really, thats what it is, its a pump gun that automatically pumps itself..

RamboPreacher
03-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Krazy Ivan
You have to pull the cocking rod, hence cock it. sorry, still not following you. just add gas and paint and start shooting (assuming it doesn't otherwise need timed or tinkered).

AzrealDarkmoonZ
03-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Generally you need to cock the cocker, if it is not cocked, before gassing up lest the gas vent out of the barrel.

Az

PzYcO
03-11-2003, 05:10 PM
The truth is, I have never seen a cocker up close and "personal", i have never seen one shoot, and i dont care if i ever do, just too many parts to break on it.

Muzikman
03-11-2003, 05:13 PM
Ivan: You don't have pull back on the cocking rod, that's what the ram is for. The name Autococker makes lots of sense to me.

And let me tell you, Autocockers are not overrated, just misunderstood.

FutureMagOwner
03-11-2003, 05:22 PM
http://www.pbstar.com/misc-tech/range-debate/

theres a range test it isnt mag and cocker though but it is 2 open bolts(bushmaster and angel) and one closed bolt(shocker)

also i never precocked my cocker and didnt have a problem:confused:

SHOCKER1050
03-11-2003, 06:15 PM
cockers rule...ive owned a classic mag, rt mag, and an emag, and i always go back to cockers...the emag was awesome, but i guess its just all personaly preference...u cant dislike ppz just because they have a nice looking cocker lol

RamboPreacher
03-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by AzrealDarkmoonZ
Generally you need to cock the cocker, if it is not cocked, before gassing up lest the gas vent out of the barrel.

Az sorry, never had to do that on any that I have owned, (and there have been dozens) - that's why I questioned it, becuase I have never had to cocke them like a spyder ot tippman, for example.

Jerhew
03-11-2003, 07:07 PM
sorry, never had to do that on any that I have owned, (and there have been dozens) - that's why I questioned it, becuase I have never had to cocke them like a spyder ot tippman, for example.

sometimes the main spring is heavier than the valvespring...if the gun isn't cocked the valve will just vent
my friends gen-x cocker(1st generation) does this
but come to think of it... it's probably why it gets such crappy efficiency

orderofreason
03-11-2003, 07:20 PM
the thing is, mags have only recently gotten over the stigma of blendering paint, cockers have had years upon years to build a foundation of making a durable tournament marker. I used to own a mag and i really liked it, but it destroyed paint. it chopped like nuts. I went to a cocker. Problem went away, but my BPS was still the same. Now that mags have gotten rid of the whole cuisinart thing (and i know there are people out there that have NEVER had a problem with mags chopping...) they're beginning to really make a presence. You just have to get past the fact that cockers have been used and seen as THE tourney gun for a long time and they're still out there competing with angels.

Ov3rmind
03-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Man, these threads never get old on AO.;)