PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Tomahawk

Hasty8
03-11-2003, 09:41 PM
The dodge website uses such terms as "conventional thinking" and "personal transportation" to describe this beast when a more acceptable choice would of been suicidal, insanity and just plain loco! And here is something really funny. scroll to the bottom and you will see that the top speed and 0-60 time is purely estimated. Guess they coulnd't find some one nutty enough to test fly this devil.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/nynetguy/Dodge%20Tomahawk2.jpg
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/nynetguy/Dodge%20Tomahawk.jpg

Here are the specs:

Dodge Tomahawk Preliminary Specifications

GENERAL INFORMATION

ENGINE: 8.3-LITER, OHV, 20-VALVE SMPI V-10

Type and Description: 10-cylinder 90-degree V-type, liquid-cooled
Displacement: 505 cubic inches (8277 cc)
Construction: 356-T6 aluminum alloy block with cast-iron liners, aluminum alloy cylinder heads
Bore x Stroke: 4.03 inches x 3.96 inches (102.4 x 100.6)
Valve System: Two pushrod-actuated overhead valves per cylinder with roller-type hydraulic lifters
Fuel Injection: Sequential, multi-port electronic with individual runners
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1

Power (SAE net): 500 bhp (372 kW) @ 5600 rpm (60.4 bhp/liter)
Torque (SAE net): 525 lb.-ft. (712 Nom) @ 4200 rpm
Max Engine Speed: 6000 rpm
Fuel Requirement: Unleaded premium, 93 octane (R+M/2)
Oil System: Dry Sump
Oil Capacity: 8 qts. Mobil1 10W30 Synthetic
Cooling System: Twin aluminum radiators mounted atop engine intake manifolds, force-fed from front-mounted, belt-driven turbine fan
Coolant Capacity: 11 qts.
Exhaust System: Equal-length tubular stainless steel headers with dual collectors and central rear outlets

PERFORMANCE:

0-60 mph: 2.5 seconds (est.)
Top Speed: 300+ mph (est.)

TransMan
03-11-2003, 09:45 PM
why not just get a jet powerd bike...

spazzed
03-11-2003, 10:16 PM
I wonder how long it'd take to rupture your eardrums riding that puppy :p

FooTemps
03-11-2003, 10:20 PM
they say it should hit 400mph... not 300

-§on-
03-11-2003, 10:21 PM
That could hold one heck of a burnout.....:cool:

LittMag
03-11-2003, 11:01 PM
good god, I'd probably demand mine come with a roll cage and restraints. I don't care how stupid it'd look.

Python14
03-11-2003, 11:08 PM
From what I understand, that thing doesn't have any gearing down. The engine produces enough torque and power straight from the crankshaft that it's not needed, and in some cases, overkill.

I'd love to steal one of those.

Collegeboy
03-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Give it here, I want to test drive it hehe. If I am going to kill myself in a wreck. Might as well make it going 400 hehe.

FeuerFri
03-12-2003, 12:43 AM
hehe looks like a bike out of Akira, not gunna be much longer till you see a kaneada styled bike.

Pullman
03-12-2003, 12:59 AM
My guess is that thing is a model. The reason those speeds are "estimated" is that it doesn't work yet.

In any case why would you want it? I've had my share of bikes and most of them would smoke most cars off a stop light but I had them because of what you could do in the curves. I guarantee you that thing won't be hitting the corners any faster than my CBR (IMHO):D

maginator
03-12-2003, 01:10 AM
it is a working model

FooTemps
03-12-2003, 02:17 AM
it's a working model... It's just that they don't have anyone crazy/stupid/brave/badarse enough to test it yet... I also doubt they have enough straightaway

GreasyPigeon
03-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Oil System: Dry Sump

hmmm a dry sump pump.....ummm a little to over kill dont you think, my dad had to use one of a drag car, and it went 200+

those bad boys are used for racing not for the street.

1stdeadeye
03-12-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Collegeboy
Give it here, I want to test drive it hehe. If I am going to kill myself in a wreck. Might as well make it going 400 hehe.

QUICK! Somebody get CollegeBoy one of these!;) :p

alkafluence
03-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by maginator
it is a working model

Yeah, it is a working model. I saw one of these "beasts" at the Chicago auto show a couple of weeks ago.

They said they eventually plan production of about 100 them. Price point - if your a pro-sports star or otherwise investment tycoon you may be able to buy one.

The funniest thing about the display at the auto-show is that they were running this video of someone riding it, and ALL the clips showed it going straight. Not once did they show it turning whatsoever.

Automaggin2
03-12-2003, 03:05 PM
I saw a video of someone riding it. It is working. I tihnk its only 2 gears, and that thing will fly. Take me out to the flats in like arizona or utah and ill drive it as fast as i can. Im crazy enough to do it

synreal
03-12-2003, 03:12 PM
i hopped on the fiberglass model that they had up at dcx headquarters a month or so back, its -really- comfy. my only fear is that my knees rested firmly on the engine, me thinks that they would get rather toasty very quickly under riding conditions. ;)

wyn1370
03-12-2003, 03:18 PM
seriously though, how could you get any lean on that thing?

Mossman
03-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by wyn1370
seriously though, how could you get any lean on that thing?

Lean?!? Are you nuts? :)

LOL, i can't wait til they give a couple to the major magazine publications and get em returned in 6 parts in a big wooden crate :)

GreasyPigeon
03-13-2003, 12:34 AM
i wonder how many people will be killed driving that thing, if they make it??

Mossman
03-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by GreasyPigeon
i wonder how many people will be killed driving that thing, if they make it??

I've already developed a scientific formula to figure just that out.

We've got:
X(total toahawks sold) - Y(those kept by dodge) - Z(those kept by collectors and undriven) = D (total dead)

It's just a wonder it's a 1 seater, if it somehow sat 4 our country's future would be in jeopardy

bornl33t
03-13-2003, 06:11 AM
talk about a unique method of suicide... just what I've been looking for... I got dibs on the first 400mph and 0-60's

Brak
03-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by FeuerFri
hehe looks like a bike out of Akira, not gunna be much longer till you see a kaneada styled bike.

you beat me to it! i think we will see a kaneada bike soon, just as long as they keep it red

Dayspring
03-13-2003, 12:55 PM
What you guys may not see is that it has 4 independent wheels. Not 2. I posted something about this a couple months ago around time of the Detroit Car Show.

If you look in here under the title "I was going HOW fast officer?" you'll see some other, better color pics.

Derman2k
03-13-2003, 04:01 PM
I'd probably test it...If they put a seatbelt on it...hehe

Will Wood
03-13-2003, 09:08 PM
Only will cost $200,000. :)

giblit
03-13-2003, 09:17 PM
that bike is so insane. it sounds like if you take that drag racing youd smoke everyone.

FooTemps
03-13-2003, 11:52 PM
So close to akira style bikes... but... It ain't magnet powered!

Hasty8
03-13-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Mossman

I've already developed a scientific formula to figure just that out.

We've got:
X(total toahawks sold) - Y(those kept by dodge) - Z(those kept by collectors and undriven) = D (total dead)

It's just a wonder it's a 1 seater, if it somehow sat 4 our country's future would be in jeopardy

IF X = the total number of Tomahawks sold and Z = the number of Hawks sold but not driven you do not need the Y value, which is actually redunant to the equation.

Y is equal to Z - (Total THawks produced).

A more simple equation might be:
Let:
X = Total Thawks sold
Y = Total THawks to remain as collectors items (undriven at speeds in excess of 50 mph)
Z = Total Thawks Road Pizzas to be created

Therefore:
X - Y = Z

Unfortunately, even this equation is flawed due to the fact that there is no way to take into account each individual riders skill and ability to control the raw surging power that will be generated by such a massive power plant so we will need to look into some variables.

Now, see why I said in a nother post that I really need to find a job?

Mossman
03-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Hasty, X was supposed to be the total # produced, not sold. My bad! :)

Also, our equations are just fine, there is no one who can harness the power of that beast. I guarandamntee it :)

sneakyhacker420
03-14-2003, 12:32 AM
cool, but ew. ;)

Hasty8
03-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Dave Campos. In 1990 he rode a specially modified Harley-Davidson to a speed of 322.1 miles per hour.

Dave Campos, NM (http://www.museum.sturgis-rally.com/halloffame/davecampos.html)

viper matt
07-02-2003, 07:22 PM
i have seen it turn, it looks cool! if that gets as hot as my car does it would be something you need nomex to ride. my passengers frequently burn the crap out of their legs on my side sills

Flamebo
07-02-2003, 07:38 PM
I had the chance to look it over, but they wouldn't let me sit on it :D . Imagine if they upped the compression ratio on the sucker.

RRfireblade
07-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by TransMan
why not just get a jet powerd bike...

3,800 horsepower.

:D

RRfireblade
07-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Or a little more reasonable...yeah right.

Rolls Royce Turbine
Est HP 400+
"Tested" top speed 250+

Twisted Greed
07-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Jay Leno owns one of those^^^^^. And a theoretical top speed of 300 is over kill, when it comes down to it:
It has 2 times as much rotational friction, it is wider than normal bikes so it has at least 2 times as much fluid frictionand unless the owner is going to wear a downhill speed ski helmet and suit (no front wind visor) it will probably have about the same top speed as a Hayabusa or if they are lucky and the owner is wearing a speed ski suit it might match that jet bike. Sure it has 2.5 times as mcuh horsepower as other bikes but horsepower is only half the equation.

viper matt
07-04-2003, 09:07 PM
i heard some lady was riding his *** in a tarus in LA and he was stopped at a light and she was right on his *** so he melted te front bumper of her car

pputkowski
07-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Twisted is right.
I was reading either Pop. Sci. or Sci. Amer. and they had the guy who set the world land-speed record on a motorcycle and he said that according to the bikes aero's and all these other factors it would only do around 200. They also said that it would be virtually impossible to actually ride it hard unless you had a harness.

TransMan
07-05-2003, 12:02 AM
the turning radius of the tomahawk is either 50 yards or 100 yards i cant remember if they said the width of a football field or the length either way i dont want one....

RRfireblade
07-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by pputkowski
Twisted is right.
I was reading either Pop. Sci. or Sci. Amer. and they had the guy who set the world land-speed record on a motorcycle and he said that according to the bikes aero's and all these other factors it would only do around 200. They also said that it would be virtually impossible to actually ride it hard unless you had a harness.

That's actually not true.Terry Kizer (OrientXpress) all ready ran 230+mph on a stock bodied ZX11 for Sport Rider's UFO competition.Hahns racecraft has also been to 233+mph on a stock bodied CBR-XX.He supposedly has a 'Busa about ready that's faster than that XX.

Jay.

TNS2k2
07-05-2003, 01:37 AM
Can anyone see the starting of real life Extreme G? those bikes are starting to look and have descriptions like a video game... :p :D

gimp
07-05-2003, 09:29 AM
I saw the tomahawk at bike week in Laconia. It looked pretty cool. I heard the reason that nobody will take it to it's top speed is because you start to lift of the bike. Your body turns into an air foil or something and it just lifts you right off. I think they have a seatbelt, but It's still pretty dangerous.

Another interesting tidbit I heard: At Daytona bike week, they took the tomahawk down the strip, and it was so loud that you couldn't hear any of the harleys running.

Twisted Greed
07-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by RRfireblade

That's actually not true.Terry Kizer (OrientXpress) all ready ran 230+mph on a stock bodied ZX11 for Sport Rider's UFO competition.Hahns racecraft has also been to 233+mph on a stock bodied CBR-XX.He supposedly has a 'Busa about ready that's faster than that XX.

Jay.

I am not saying that bikes can't go fast, I have seen in person a Turboed Hayabusa go 235, I'm saying that it would be almost impossible to get this to go over 200-215 because of the lack of aerodynamics. Past the aerodynamics of the bike it only has two speeds, the ratios would have to be so far apart that it would take several miles just to reach a high speed unlike street bikes with 6 gears where the ratios can be set close together for the first 2 or 3 and then spread out 4,5,and 6to get a high speed.

logamus
07-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye

QUICK! Somebody get CollegeBoy one of these!;) :p
genius