PDA

View Full Version : How do I convert VHS tapes to .avi,mpeg, etc

painball
03-11-2003, 11:04 PM
What do I need and whats the cheapest way to go?

I am gonna add some video to my team's webpage I'm coming out with. I just wanna put some video like us jacking around and so on.

BTW can anyone host my page on their server?? Pretty please? None of those free sites would be big enough and those ads look the page look cheesy-like.

Hamster Huey
03-12-2003, 12:34 PM
If you don't already have a video card that has a video-in (eg. an All-in-Wonder Radeon, or one of the VIVO GeForce 4's), the simplest way is probably to buy a breakout box that takes S-video or component video inputs and outputs them to MPEG1/MPEG2/DV on your computer via a USB port. Dazzle and ADS make competing products that do just this sort of thing. They'll run you in the neighborhood of $150.

beam
03-12-2003, 02:03 PM
I recommend Pinnacle Studio.

For $99, you get the capture card and the Studio software. I use it all the time and it's awesome. It has a really easy to use interface, tons of cool transitions, and allows you to put audio tracks/voice overs over your video.

When you have it all edited the way you want, you can output it to a vhs or one of many video file formats.

Here is a link for more info:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=P121-4005

painball
03-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by beam
I recommend Pinnacle Studio.

For $99, you get the capture card and the Studio software. I use it all the time and it's awesome. It has a really easy to use interface, tons of cool transitions, and allows you to put audio tracks/voice overs over your video.

When you have it all edited the way you want, you can output it to a vhs or one of many video file formats.

Here is a link for more info:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=P121-4005

Would I have to switch it out with my current Radeon7500? I really dont want to do that since I just got it less than a year ago.

cphilip
03-12-2003, 04:18 PM
..if you had a Mac it would be even easier! :eek: :cool:

beam
03-12-2003, 04:48 PM
No, you don't switch out your agp card. This is a pci card that you would use only to capture video from a AV or DV source (depends on which version you get) and then output video to an AV or DV source. The audio would go through your existing sound card.

painball
03-12-2003, 06:00 PM
my sound card (or speakers) is whacked. So I am not sure about this video stuff after all. Would a bad sound card affect the sound on the video for other people?

I might see if my parents will buy the Pinnacle thing for me. Now...a good excuse to get em to buy it.....educational..no..paintball..yes..but not a good reason..

Maybe I could say I wanna be a future FON staff guy
:D

personman
03-12-2003, 06:18 PM
I have video in on my card (geforce 4 mx420) what now? What kind of cables or software would I need? Hmm this could get interesting.. you guys could see me talking to santa when I was a little kid!! :p

FalconGuy016
03-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

We bought one of those cool new ones just for that :)

Otherwise I'd reccomend a Dazzle of some sort

joeyjoe367
03-13-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by cphilip

Yeah, but then you'd have to be a "mac convert." They'll throw you in a white room and demand that you praise their products in front of a video camera!

boomerfoxtrot
03-13-2003, 07:37 AM
personman had a question... just like me..

I have a yellow video plug in on the back of my computer... along with a red *audio* and a green *audio* ... what now? or do I need to go spend another $100 and buy a card..

beam
03-13-2003, 09:04 AM
The yellow plug that you have in the back of your computer is most likely a tv out port. All this does is allow you to output your video signal to a tv instead of a monitor. In my experience, doing this has always resulted in a crappy picture.

If you want to capture video, you need a video capture device. This could be a card, like the pinnacle product I linked to, or some companies use breakout boxes that connect to a card.

The cable that you need depends on which version (at least for the pinnacle products) you get. If you get the AV (analog) version, you need an RCA(composite) or S-Video cable. If you get the DV(digital) version you can use firewire.

Here is a link to all of the video capture devices that Tiger sells: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?page=1&Id=2806

personman
03-13-2003, 04:38 PM
uh.. it says this in the features.. I would take a pic but I dont know if there is enough light for me crap camera.. my good one is being used by my brother as of now.. I tihnk..

• NVIDIA video processing engine (VPE)
delivers the highest quality video and
mulimedia capabilities
° Integrated TV encoder at 1024x768
resolution
° Integrated full hardware MPEG-2
decoder
° Motion compensation and IDCT
° HDTV ready
° Independent hardware color controls
for video overlays