PDA

View Full Version : How do you transport paintball equipment ?

nuclear zombie
03-12-2003, 08:09 AM
I am starting to think about Shatnerball , and how to get there . I don't want to drive it's about a 10-12 hour drive where I'm from. I'm also leary of flying because I really don't trust my gun ( my X-mag when I get it ) with the baggage handlers in the belly of a plane and I doubt they will let me take it as carry-on.

So my real question is , For those who fly to a paintball event how do you get your gun there safely ?

Muzikman
03-12-2003, 09:15 AM
If I fly and need my gear, I ship it to a local person I might know or to the hotel I am staying at. Most hotels have no problem with this as long as you give them advanced notice. Make sure if you are going to ship your gear that it is packaged in a well built shipping create and well padded. You can get large plastic storage/shipping creates from Wal-mart and they will run you about $30. Also, I would only ship FedEx for domestic and DHL for international. UPS is too rough of packages and USPS usually won't deliver boxes that heavy. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get it there. For Shatner last year I had to ship my gear 2nd day instead of standard ground and it was $130 to get it from Pittsburgh to Chicago. This was $30 more than my plane ticket;) The create was also 76lbs or so.

magsRus
03-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Yes, it would be most wise if you ship your gear there.

IcantBelieveit
03-12-2003, 09:33 AM
??? mmm maybe take a train if there is one that runs to chicago? and then rent a car and drive the rest of the way??

b/c i hate flying, and i will never do it

fire1811
03-12-2003, 09:47 AM
we just had 11 players fly from chicago to toronto for skyball and had no probs with the airlines just show up early to have them check your stuff and make sure your
air tanks are empty.

i know after they searched are bags they ziptied the zippers shut.
i wouldnt really worry bro.
besides flyin is much faster :D
9hr drive from chicago to toronto OR
a 45min flight...hmmmmmmm the choices

LaW
03-12-2003, 10:27 AM
oh come on, a 10-11 hour drive is cheaper then flying :) i'm driving there! Screw airlines ;)

fire1811
03-12-2003, 10:29 AM
lol yeah thats what we figured in skyball 2002
but we where WAY off.
and the kick in the fact that after we won this year are
sponsors picked up the hotels and airfair...it was hella cheap...errr free actually :p

Muzikman
03-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Being a very seasoned flyer, I know the hastles that the airport and airlines can give you with stuff that is non paintball related. I choose to take the easy route. That is not saying you can not fly with your gear, I just choose to not deal with them. The quicker I can get through the airport the happier I am.

LaW
03-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Since I am driving to shatnerball its not an issue, however if I were flying I would ship my marker and tank to EMR and make arrangments for them to recieve it...

fire1811
03-12-2003, 10:53 AM
we actually planned on shipping are markers and tanks to
toronto but like tom and are new jersey's pmi shipped they
would have been held at customs

Evil Bob
03-12-2003, 02:33 PM
With the time you will spend at the airport, the hastles of arriving early to check in your marker, the waiting for the flight to board, the flight itself, the wait to taxi around, once you land, the hopes that your luggage was actually on YOUR FLIGHT, etc. etc. etc... it will have taken just as long to get there if you had just driven there direct.

Nothing sucks more then arriving at your destination to play paintball and NOT having your marker there to play with, thats the risk you run when flying.

Save your cash, grab a friend and drive, take turns running the car out of gas :)

-Evil Bob

fire1811
03-12-2003, 02:40 PM
ahh but all that time in the airport is just
time for BEER
mmmmmmmmmm :D

nuclear zombie
03-12-2003, 03:38 PM
I'll be flying , I hate driving for more than 2-3 hours . The person going to shatnerball with me also does not want to drive. I'll probaly ship it to where I'm going to be and have them hold it until I arrive.