PDA

View Full Version : Is the Autolube sold in the store 100% silicon oil?

Jason Reed
03-12-2003, 02:28 PM
I play paintball(better of coarse) and Airsoft, well in my airsoft(MP5SD5) gun you can only lube it up with 100% silicon oil, because Petroleum products can eat up the plastic parts. I was wondering if the autolube is 100% silicon only.

hitech
03-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Nope. It's Gold Cup oil. Follow the link in my signature and you can read all about oils. :D

Schnitzel
03-12-2003, 04:41 PM
it's a mineral oil, just so you dont hvae to click through hitech's links.:D

hitech
03-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Schnitzel
it's a mineral oil, just so you dont hvae to click through hitech's links.:D

Now where is the fun in that? ;)

Jason Reed
03-12-2003, 06:33 PM
that still doesn't tell me wether i can use it on my airsoft gun.

hitech
03-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Jason Reed
that still doesn't tell me wether i can use it on my airsoft gun.

I don't know. I doubt it would bother the plastic parts. However, they did say to use only silicon oil, so...

You can probably find silicon oil at a hobby store that has RC cars. I use to get silicon grease there.

cphilip
03-12-2003, 07:11 PM
The base of all these paintball oils is Mineral Oil/Paraffin Oil based

...which by the way can and is extracted from petroleum. It can be extracted from plants too. Its complicated but its ok, its not the petrolatums like gas or anything anymore once its extracted and purified. Its the waxy portions of the extractions.

But many of these Paintball Oil places add certain other lubricants, elasticizers and stabilizers and such to them in thier magic blends.

Look in Deep Blue and see as we had a discussion about this many long months ago.

Jason Reed
03-13-2003, 02:29 PM
cool, thanks guys

cphilip
03-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Silicone

Synonyms: organosiloxane

Definition: Any of a large group of siloxane polymers based on a structure consisting of alternate silicon and oxygen atoms with various organic radicals attached to the to the silicon.

Discovered by Kipping in England in 1900.

Properties: Liquids, semisolids, or solids depending on molecular weight and degree of polymerization, viscosity ranges from less than 1 to more than 1 million centistokes. Polymers may be straight-chain, or crosslinked with benzoyl peroxide or other free radical initiator, with or without catalyst. Stable over temperature range from -50 to +250C. Very low surface tension; extreme water repellency; high lubricity; excellent dielectric properties; resistant to oxidation, weathering, and high temperatures; permeable to gases. Soluble in most organic solvents; unhalogenated types are combustible.

mineral

Definition: A widely used general term referring to the nonliving constituents of the earth's crust which include naturally occurring elements, compounds, and mixtures that have a definite range of chemical composition and properties. Usually inorganic, but sometimes including fossil fuels, e.g., coal, minerals are the raw materials for a wide vareity of elements (chiefly metals) and chemical compounds. Minerals can be and many are synthesized to achieve purity greater than that found in natural products. The term mineral industry statistically comprehends the mining and production of metals (ores) fossil fuels, clay, gemstones, cement, glass, rocks, sulfur, sand, etc. Mineralogy is the study and classification of minerals by source, chemical composition and properties, chiefly physical, such as color, hardness, and crystalline structure. This term was used by early chemists to describe a variety of substances; many of these uses are obsolescent, but a few persist, e.g.:

Definition:

mineral black: inorganic black pigments
mineral blue: varieties of blue pigments
mineral dust: industrial dust, nuisance dust
mineral green: copper carbonate
mineral oil: a liquid petroleum derivative
mineral pitch: asphalt
mineral red: iron oxide red
mineral rubber: blown asphalt
mineral spirits: a grade of naphtha
mineral water: natural spring water containing sulfur, iron, etc.
mineral wax: a wax found in the earth (ozocerite), or derived from petroleum
mineral wool: fibers made by blowing air or steam through slag

lubricating oil

Synonyms: lube oil

Definition: A selected fraction of refined mineral oil used for lubrication of moving surfaces, usually metallic and ranging from small precision machinery (watches) to the heaviest equipment. Lubricating oils usually have small amounts of additives to impart special properties such as viscosity index and detergency. They range in consistency from thin liquids to grease-like substances. In contrast to lubricating greases, lube oils do not contain solid or fibrous materials.

See Also: also porpoise oil; lubricant, synthetic; extreme-pressure additive (2); lube oil additive. lubrication

oil

Definition: The word "oil" is applied to a wide range of substances that are quite different in chemical nature. Oils derived from animals or from plant seeds or nuts are chemically identical with fats, the only difference being one of consistency at room temperature. They are composed largely of glycerides of the fatty acids, chiefly oleic, palmitic, stearic, and linolenic. As a rule the more hydrogen the molecule contains, the thicker the oil becomes. Petroleum (rock oil) is a hydrocarbon mixture comprising hundreds of chemical compounds. It is thought to be derived from the remains of tiny sea animals laid down in past geologic ages. Following is a classification of oils by type and function.
I. Mineral
1. Petroleum
(a) Aliphatic or wax-base (Pennsylvania)
(b) Aromatic or asphalt-base (California)
(c) Mixed-base (Midcontinent of U.S.)
2. Petroleum-derived
(a) Lubricants: engine oil, machine oil, cutting oil
(b) Medicinal: refined paraffin oil
II. Vegetable (chiefly from seeds or nuts)
1. Drying (linseed, tung, oiticica)
2. Semidrying (soybean, cottonseed)
3. Nondrying (castor, coconut)4. Inedible soap stocks (palm, coconut)
III. Animal
These usually occur as fats (tallow lard, stearic acid). The liquid types include fish oils, fish-liver oils, oleic acid, sperm oil, etc. They usually have a high fatty acid content.
IV. Essential

Complex volatile liquids derived from flowers, stems and leaves, and often the entire plant. They contain terpenes (pinene, dipentene, etc.) and are used chiefly for perfumery and flavorings. Usually resinous products are admixed with them. Turpentine is a highly resinous essential oil.

IcantBelieveit
03-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Thank you "webster"

cphilip
03-13-2003, 07:05 PM
:D