PDA

View Full Version : flatlines and pro-connects and grease guns oh my

Jerhew
03-12-2003, 07:29 PM
alright I realize this has been touched on before but I haven't really found the exact answers I've been looking for so:

first of all
i have a retromag with all the goodies; including a dz3 drop with the screw in adapter, but i just sold my tank because it was a preset (650psi)and i wanted an adjustable tank so i can get my trigger the way i want. i really like the flatline 68/4500...except for the price :( (and the fact that i'd need a different drop, a slidecheck of some sort and a new line.

I was looking at the nitroduck xstream... it's a screw in and is adjustable... but i've heard conflicting reports of what it's max output pressure is, and since i just sold a tank because i wasnt happy about it's output pressure...it'd be silly to just get another one that i wasn't satisfied with. but if the output pressure is sufficient..it'd save me a lot of money over the flatline(or my 3rd choice, a maxflow) not only the tank itself is much cheaper but the fact that i wouldn't need to buy anything else to use it. is there another tank that would meet my needs...adjustable up to 900+....screw in...not rediculously overpriced...???

ok next question
if i decide to bite the bullet and pick up a flatline or max-flow...
i'd want to just run a longer line from the tank straight to the valve
obviously i'd either need a qd on the valve end or use macroline
regardless of which i use...ill need to be able to bleed off the pressure(since the flatline doesnt bleed itself off when you turn it off)
i've read some threads about the pro-connects and i've used one before...they are nice but again very pricey
and if you have the female end on the tank side...wouldn't that hold pressure in the line like 100% of the time? I don't like that idea if that is the case. my other option would be to use a slidecheck...
yes they are a pain when you blow an oring...but im used to it(i run a remote on my at-85)...as long as you keep them well oiled they work fine. from the research i've done it seems to me that a slide check would be not only more cost effective but make more sense to use than a pro-connect...
thoughts on any of this?

oh ya last thing
i read somewhere that you could use hose from a grease gun instead of macro or braided
the pressure rating is good(3k psi operating pressure) and it uses the same fittings....so why not
has anyone done this with an rt? is the flow kosher?
either that or i'm gonna have to put shrink tube on my braided line so it doesnt scratch everything all up

ok well sorry for the amalgamation of questions...
any thoughts and/or help and/or free flatlines :D you want to give is appreciated

cphilip
03-12-2003, 07:51 PM
I certainly would question any Grease Gun hose or fittings being rated to 3000 psi and even then thats not enough. You often want the rating over the potential pressure it may see. And I do not think anyone would bother to make grease guns to that pressure. Even shop air compressor operated ones would never see over 180 or so PSI. I would think they are more like 300 psi rated if that. I think you should realy recheck that number.

Jerhew
03-12-2003, 07:56 PM
well it's actually just something i read on here last night...just kind of stumbled across it during one of my searches
but i figured that's what people would say...
i'd probably just use ss braided with a wrap
but i thought id mention it

Mossman
03-12-2003, 07:56 PM
I picked up some grease gun hosing from home depot for 6 bucks I believe. Its 12" I believe, maybe 18, its long, and loops infront of my battery pack.

I havent experienced any flow issues, but my emag's broke.

Oh and phil, its rated for 3000psi WORKING pressure (well over macro/micro, probably the same as SS). It's burst pressure is 12000psi according to the packaging.

I'm probably the guy you remember who said they used grease gun hose.

Dude, I went nuts, when I read your post I was like...when did I make that post? Then i looked at the thread starter and it wasn't me. I'm currently running a flatline with grease gun hose, and proconnect on the valve. I don't think theres 1 other person in the world with a setup like that, and you have the whole thing in your title. Good times :)

cphilip
03-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Dang I never would a thunk it! I wonder about the fittings and the way its joined though. Is that rated to that pressure? That may be the weak link!

Jerhew
03-12-2003, 08:01 PM
see mods aren't always right :rolleyes: :D ;)

mossman "I'm probably the guy you remember who said they used grease gun hose."

ya it most likely was you
i dunno i did a ton of research last night on the issue
i just have some random notes scribbled down
flatline GOOD but $$$
pro connect...sweet but $$$
grease gun line? WTF

lol

Brak
03-12-2003, 08:03 PM
yes, i know proconnects are mighty expensive, but they are totally worth it. go to your local paintball shop, and see if they have used ones. i got a used proconnect that works like a charm for $20!

hitech
03-12-2003, 08:16 PM
I used a grease gun hose for a remote line for many, many years. It was what "everyone" used before SS line.

cphilip
03-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Well this is all news to me! Spank my behind and call me Judy!!!! :D

Oh no... we are far from 100% Right. We humans and members just like you! Cept we are always right when we BAN YOU!!!!! Muhahahahahaha! :eek: :)

Jerhew
03-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Oh no... we are far from 100% Right. We humans and members just like you! Cept we are always right when we BAN YOU!!!!! Muhahahahahaha! :eek: :)

dun dun dun
EEEK! :)

Originally posted by Brak
yes, i know proconnects are mighty expensive, but they are totally worth it. go to your local paintball shop, and see if they have used ones. i got a used proconnect that works like a charm for $20!

yes but like i said:

Originally posted by Jerhew
if you have the female end on the tank side...wouldn't that hold pressure in the line like 100% of the time?

i can see using a pro-connect for a remote because at the end of the day you usually unscrew the tank from the remote and relieve the pressure in the line in the process
but on a flatline there is no way to relieve that pressure
i wouldn't worry much about that on ss braided but i definitely wouldn't want a macroline sitting around with 300psi in it

yeahthatsme
03-12-2003, 09:56 PM
get a wgp adjustable, their 290 from www.paintballgear.com and they should have a good range, i'll check what the range is exactly and get back to ya.

cphilip
03-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Yes it will hold it. That is how I rigged mine. Several special fittings help to do that too. I came out of the tank with a 90 degree elbow and then into a male to male threaded fitting into the female side of the proconnect (as its female) and then on the male plug side of the proconnect I went right into a female 1/8 thread to macroline fitting (yes they make em but hard to find) then Macro up to the Valve with a 90 degree Macro fitting (swivel). Works great. I think Manike and Tunaman also rigged up about like this. I prefer the proconnect down on the tank and this is the only way. With the exception of using SS line instead of the Macroline. And then you need another 90 male/female elbow and a female/female fitting to do it.

You just turn the tank off or not... but either way you pop the fitting on the proconnect and the pressure pops out of the line and the tank stays pressurized to the fitting if you wanted that to be the case. Easy. the proconnect is designed to hold back pressure on one side. Its like a slide check and quick connect all in one.

Jerhew
03-12-2003, 10:11 PM
ya ok that makes sense
hardlining it to the tank would be cool
i just meant if you were to put the female on the tank end but up by the valve at the other end of your macroline
see what i mean?

cphilip
03-12-2003, 10:19 PM
No sorry I am not following...

Jerhew
03-12-2003, 10:24 PM
instead of putting your pro connect directly on your tank you put the male end directly on your valve
then you'd be holding air in your macroline
(i hate having to explain something in depth that isn't even a good idea to do in the first place :D )

cphilip
03-12-2003, 10:40 PM
The Female end holds back the air. The big part is the female end. And most people do put the male end on the valve. That part does not hold air and it would do as you want it to do. And then that plugs into the female part. Thats the most common way to mount it. So I think you are indeed wanting to do that.

Shane-O-Mac
03-13-2003, 12:10 AM
if your gonna get a pro-connect any way, get an AA raptor system. it is adjustable up to at least 1000psi. it is lifetime warrantied and you already have a cradle that will work with it. oh yea, it its like $199 for a 68/4500 system. go to: www.airamerica.com and check it out. gunga has been using one since chicago nppl last year, ask him how he likes it.
Shane-O

Jerhew
03-13-2003, 02:05 AM
thanx shane
that sounds like an excellent idea
do they still come with pro-connects?

i know they used to but i didn't see anything on their website about it...

Mossman
03-13-2003, 02:29 AM
No, Raptors dont come with the proconnects :(

http://209.6.170.71:3000/camera/03-08-2003%20138a/DSC00004.jpg

Wanna buy my air line setup? (Grease gun hose, Pro connect), I'm sending off like 3 things to get fixed tomorrow (emag, halo, video card), and the shipping and fixit fees are gonna be a lot :(. Quick cash please! Thanks! :)

Jerhew
03-13-2003, 02:34 AM
shame...they ought to...they don't have an on/off sw
oh well
they're only $199!
i can buy that and a pro connect and still be under budget :)

ok i believe my personal tank crisis has been averted...
AA raptor
pro connect
and perhaps even a hose from a grease gun :D

thanx everyone

Jer

xen_100
03-13-2003, 12:40 PM
just dont buy proconnects from a paintball store or website!

www.staubli.com

look up the RBE3. it is the same thing, only it cost $25 direct from the manufactuer :rolleyes:

Tunaman
03-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by xen_100
just dont buy proconnects from a paintball store or website!

www.staubli.com

look up the RBE3. it is the same thing, only it cost $25 direct from the manufactuer :rolleyes: No it is NOT the same thing! The original proconnects were made specifically for National Paintball supply and are modified versions of the RBE3. Be careful what you buy so you dont get it in the eye!

xen_100
03-13-2003, 05:04 PM
I have used the RBE3 for over 2 years. not a problem with it.

davidnj
03-13-2003, 06:10 PM
I may have read wrong, but isn't the RBE3 only rathed to 750 PSI (50 bar, 1 bar ~ 14.5 psi)?

I never really did any work with fittings or hoses on my mag so I don't know if that is enough. Just wanted to bring it up so it can be cleared up for me.

xen_100
03-13-2003, 06:16 PM
this is true......750PSi working pressure. 2250 PSI burst pressure, at least. (3x working pressure)

I wouldn't worry about it.

most macroline is rated for 500-700 PSI too

MarkM
03-13-2003, 06:52 PM
I have used the RBE3 for over 2 years. not a problem with it.

Doesn't make it the "right" thing though does it? The connector ends on the RBE3 are different from the Pro-connect I have and I did buy mine from National all nicely engraved as a PAINTBALL connector.

xen_100
03-13-2003, 07:01 PM
and thats why you paid $60 for it. $40 worth of engraving.....lol

openboater
03-13-2003, 07:11 PM
I don't understand the concern with 3k psi rating of the
grease hose. the hose would be downstream of the regulator,
and the pressure would be 900psi, giving a safety factor of
230% between 900 and 3k. hoses on my TIG and MIG welders are held on by spring clamps that would blow at 100psi, and the Argon tank is at 2400psi, but since the clamp is downstream of the regulator, it's perfectly safe.

I would beleive the grease hose is rated above 3000 psi. all the small bulldozers i've used use grease to tighten the track. you hook the grease gun to the cylinder on the dozer and pump it up and the cylinder expands and tightens the track. these are pretty heavy systems, and the hose holds just fine.

Evil Bob
03-14-2003, 03:43 PM
The RBE03 comes in about 150 different configurations from Staubli, the standard model for $24 (which does not include the plug) is Low Pressure Only with a 725PSI max working pressure, the unvalved plug for it is $20. The model that is used for the ProConnect is the IA/HP series which is for high pressure air circuits up to 3k max working PSI. They cost $46 each for the socket, the corresponding high pressure unvalved nipple is $66 each retail. Put it all together, and the $60 price tag is a good bargin for what you are getting. Definitely well worth the cost for the safty.

-Evil Bob

MarkM
03-14-2003, 04:08 PM
and thats why you paid $60 for it. $40 worth of engraving.....lol

$25 fitted actually, amazing what flying in from abroad can do for prices and eager salesmen trying to get products seen around the world ;)

Evil Bob
03-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Paintball Paradise has them for $49, here is the link:

http://www.paintball-paradise.com/p0000031.html

-Evil Bob

Jerhew
03-14-2003, 07:46 PM
tuna said that the pro-connect III aren't as good either...

is this one the 'right' one?
http://www.ontoppaintball.com/.sc/ms/dd/1032987946/9/nc/Nitro%20Systems/211/Pro%20Line%20Pro%20Connect%20Adaptor%20Complete%20 Adaptor%20Both%20Pieces%20

rdb123
03-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Guys, Tuna sells the good ones for only 47-shipped; slightly cheaper than those you are looking at and with better quality.

-Ron

Evil Bob
03-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Tuna, can you get these with the threads reversed? I'd like to have male on the socket end and female on the plug end without having to resort to using gender reverse adapters and taking up an extra three inches of space.

-Evil Bob

Talon2000
03-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Moss I like this setup, but one question though. With the connect at the gun valve doesn't the air from the LP side stay in the hose? Or does the QD bled it off?

BTW very nice Mag, I like the mill work. Also I like the idea of chaining the Battery Dissconnect on the line, easy to find, and never loose..

Thanks

Originally posted by Mossman
No, Raptors dont come with the proconnects :(

http://209.6.170.71:3000/camera/03-08-2003%20138a/DSC00004.jpg

Wanna buy my air line setup? (Grease gun hose, Pro connect), I'm sending off like 3 things to get fixed tomorrow (emag, halo, video card), and the shipping and fixit fees are gonna be a lot :(. Quick cash please! Thanks! :)

rikkter
03-17-2003, 01:28 PM
iuno about that raptor idea.
i have a 68 4500 rapter running my emag, with a proconnect at the valve.

edit:

wait i lied, i dont have the proconnect on my emag, its on my back up mag. i tried putting the proconnect at the valve but the rail got in the way, however, it works fine on other mags obviously.

my main problem is, i NEVER know what i'm putting into the emag unless i rig a gauge up on it, which i dont wanna do cause it'd make it look funny. thats the only problem i have. the only way to turn the tank off is to unscrew the adjusting nut and let it bleed off. then when you want it on, screw it in to who knows what pressure ;\

askman
03-17-2003, 01:41 PM
actually, most macroline have under 300psi working pressure, with burst of 3000psi. They creep at higher pressure. (stretchs) that is why we need ot replace them regularly. even the fittings have same issues.(they are rated for similiarly working pressure) strongest macro type tubing have 6000 burst and 400 working. it only comes in milky white. (I use this stuff, buying bulk at 1.25 a ft, with fitting rated at 1200psi)

3000 psi tanks are hydrotested to 5000. safety margins are part of safety regulation.

Talon2000
03-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Checked the local Hardware store, and the grease gun hoses I found for $5 were rated at 3k working, and 12k burst.