PDA

View Full Version : Need Computer help soon!

TigerMan
03-12-2003, 09:55 PM
I'm having problems on my computer right now dealing with my desktop. It has to do with the Properties (like where you go to adjust your settings, screen saver, background, etc.). Everytime I right click to try and get to the properties, I get this "An error occured while Windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DESK.CPL" Now the file is there when I go there, but it's ghosted out. Any idea on how to restore the Desktop? Anybody know what might be causing this or caused it to happen? Any help on how to fix this be great, as right now it has messed up my computers settings and everything is large, the color is messed up, and it's out of proportion. So please help if you can, BTW it's Windows ME I have. Thanks for the help!

Tron
03-12-2003, 11:20 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217752

-Tron

alkafluence
03-13-2003, 12:51 PM
If you are using Win98... following the instructions in the knowledge base on removing your old drivers.

Instead of going through the hassle of extracting the file I have attached it here. (Make sure you are using Win98)

TigerMan
03-14-2003, 04:53 PM
I've got ME. :( Will that work with it? Or if anybody with ME could help me by giving me the desktop file?

Trench
03-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Ah, so you have a Toshiba then?

Tron
03-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by TigerMan
I've got ME. :( Will that work with it? Or if anybody with ME could help me by giving me the desktop file?

That link works perfectly well with Windows ME sorry if you just can't click something to make it work and god forbid you have to read.

-Tron

pbzmag
03-14-2003, 06:07 PM
ME=Multiple Error

LOL:D

Yeah it should. ME is the last of the 9X line.

pbzmag

alkafluence
03-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Here's a suggestion...

Scrap the "lack of an operating system" called ME and put a decent OS on your computer - At least W2K.

It will solve ALOT more of your problems.

But to go back to the original answer - follow the directions in the knowledge base article that was posted above...

Lazy Link (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217752)

TigerMan
03-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Well I'll be getting XP from my brother soon. I just wanted to see if I could fix it. But I tried the Windows link to Mircrosoft's website, didn't work. ME has given me the most problems I've had with Windows system use. I've got 2 computers, so right now I'm just using my one that has Windows 98 on it.

And no it's not a Toshiba. All the computers I have are IBM.

FalconGuy016
03-15-2003, 09:09 PM
To unghost all files

Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View (tab) -> Check or uncheck the ones that apply (a few of them)

FalconGuy016
03-15-2003, 09:11 PM
evil!

TigerMan
03-16-2003, 09:47 AM
Yeah it was like that all day! :eek: I quickly changed that. It's good ole 668 now, none of that devil number crap anymore.