PDA

View Full Version : *Official* what colleges you got accepted into thread!

darklord
03-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Woohoo! I am officially a college man! So far I've gotten accepted into two schools:

UMass Dartmouth
SMFA (School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston)
Mass College of Art
Boston University

I am really excited! Anyone else get accepted? I'm still waiting to hear from 2 more schools. I am pretty sure I will not get into one, but, meh.

*edit* woohoo! That's all of them! :D :D :D

Sparq
03-12-2003, 10:05 PM
I have no idea, and it's driving me nuts....I won't know until early April.

Thordic
03-12-2003, 10:13 PM
I got into the following back in the day:

New Jersey Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Northwestern University
Case Western Reserve University

I think that was all I applied to, I forget. I didn't get denied at any schools.

Mossman
03-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Wait, I was supposed to apply? :D

Kevmaster
03-12-2003, 10:47 PM
I have applied and heard from:
North Carolina State University Engineering: Accepted
University of North Carolina: Accepted

I have applied and not heard from:
Duke University Engineering (top choice)
Georgettown University
Wake Forest University
Davidson College
University of Virgina

wooo!

Clare
03-12-2003, 10:52 PM
I don't know about you all but I just showed up the first day of class and blended in for 4 years.

Mossman
03-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Ya, I'm waiting til all my friends move away to make a plan for next year :)

Koosh
03-12-2003, 11:18 PM
I was only accepted one place:

Colorado State University...

Of course that was the only place I wanted to go, so I didn't bother with any other applications... yes I know that wasn't a smart thing to do, but I was assured admission for everything, so I didn't sweat it.

The one and only mistake I made when choosing a college was that I tried to save money. I decieded that since the school I wanted to go to was only 10 miles away from me, I would just live at home... I wish I could take it back. I've missed out on a lot of "social" opprotunities, but I bet it helped me out when my grades came...

gimp
03-13-2003, 12:16 AM
well, 2 years ago I got into all 4 colleges I applied to:
Renselaer Polytechnic Institute (rpi)
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (wpi)
Rose Hulman Institute of Technology (rhit)
and University of New Hampshire (unh).

I went to rpi, which was good for the long run I guess, but unh would have been so much more fun. Now I've got to start thinking about where I want to go for grad school.

Collegeboy
03-13-2003, 12:25 AM
I was accepted into a lot of schools but couldn't afford to go.

MIT
Columbia
Georgetown
George Washington
University of Michigan
NYU
and of course University of Alabama

I chose the latter one for it is free for me and I came to the realization there is no reason for me to go into 150,000 in debt just for a bachelors degree when I will need to get a graduate degree and the bachelors really doesn't matter. It is where you get your graduate that matters.

joeyjoe367
03-13-2003, 02:04 AM
Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, MIT...

I could go on and on...

;)

ShooterJM
03-13-2003, 05:04 PM
EDIT: Came off too cocky....

Got accepted everywhere I applied and recruited by places I didn't. :D

Where'd I end up going and who gave me the tinyiest scholarship? SBU.... freaking worst decision I've ever made in my life. Shouldn't have listened to my parents :)

irbodden
03-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Collegeboy
It is where you get your graduate that matters.

Just keep telling yourself that.

ShooterJM
03-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by irbodden

Actually, I know for business it really doesn't matter too much where you get your undergrad. Very little effect on your pay scale. Your grad degree is where it's a direct correlation.

Restola
03-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Yep he's right.

I applied one place, Kent State, got accepted. Where I get my degree means very little. In fact, what my degree is in means very little for my career plans :)

Collegeboy
03-13-2003, 05:54 PM

If your keep your grades up and you are forced to have to have a graduate degree, then the graduate degree matters. I choose not to go 150,000 in debt just for my bachelor’s degree and then another 100,000 for my masters or 200,000 if I want to get my doctorates. That is a huge chunk of debt to start life off with and even to have at anytime in life. I got the opportunity to go 4 years of college free plus get paid 700 a month to do so, get a computer and such. I chose to take that option. I chose the University of Alabama because I got the above and it ranks even with colleges like the University of Ohio. I keep up with community service and have but loads of academic honors. All I have left is to do well on the GRE, and/or the LSAT, and I will have no trouble getting into a good graduate program. All without the 150,000 dollar in debt, but actually pocket 20,000 dollars in my pocket. (I spend very little) A very smart move if you ask me, one I will make again and again.

irbodden
03-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ShooterJM

Actually, I know for business it really doesn't matter too much where you get your undergrad. Very little effect on your pay scale. Your grad degree is where it's a direct correlation.

My dad has a degree in accounting, close enough to bussiness. He also is a CFO which is also 'bussiness oriented' (most CFOs have some sort of degree in bussiness as well) And they cared about his highschool when he was after this job out here in Cleveland. Keep in mind, he isn't fresh out of College by any means, worked at Searle GD with Rumsfeld for 25 years. So ofcourse they cared about his undergrad, that goes with out saying.

And like Restola said, depending on what you want to do, a degree is a degree. However, it's ignorant to assume undergrad 'means nothing'

xmetal2001
03-13-2003, 09:35 PM
I'm a failure -- My decreasing intelligence over the years(smartest to dumbest) is going to cause me to be denied everywhere :eek:

AutomagRT1483
03-14-2003, 12:10 AM
University of Wisconsin - Parkside:D

Dayspring
03-14-2003, 01:02 AM
Back when I applied-

Monmouth Univ.
Caldwell College
Seton Hall University
Fairleigh Dickinson University (Where I went)
Lebanon Valley College
Drew University

ShooterJM
03-14-2003, 09:49 AM

My dad has a degree in accounting, close enough to bussiness. He also is a CFO which is also 'bussiness oriented' (most CFOs have some sort of degree in bussiness as well) And they cared about his highschool when he was after this job out here in Cleveland. Keep in mind, he isn't fresh out of College by any means, worked at Searle GD with Rumsfeld for 25 years. So ofcourse they cared about his undergrad, that goes with out saying.

And like Restola said, depending on what you want to do, a degree is a degree. However, it's ignorant to assume undergrad 'means nothing'

Actually accounting, since they have a standardized certification test isn't the same as standard business. I don't doubt they checked his HS, it's a common practice. But did they check WHERE he went, or did they ask for his GPA and transcripts?

No an undergrad doesn't "mean nothing" you still need one. But where you get is is rather overrated.

i_baked_cookies
03-14-2003, 10:16 PM
i got accepted into harvard law and necular development, duke, stanford (the study of chemical imbalences and other neat stuff), yale factoral and chaos+statistics 101, a few overseas colleges that make yale look like OSU, michigan state, notre dame, and miami

im going to yale to study mostly fractorals and chaos, statistics 101, Java, computer enginering, computer sience advanded MOUS, and a little business.

yumyum, and ill still hopefully have room for a little paintball...

logamus
03-14-2003, 10:39 PM
i was accepted to:
Texas A&M University
University of Hawaii
Lamar University
University of Tennessee
Southern Methodist University

a&m was the only school i really wanted to go to. hawaii was just a whim and they actually offered me a scholarship. my dad went to lamar, my mom went to u tenn, and i grew up methodist so i went for that too (mostly as a whim)

i went to Tarrant County Junior College thinking i would be better off getting basics done there and transfering to a&m, and after two years decided this college crap was for the birds. perhaps the worst decision i have ever made. oh well.

mag-rebelution
03-14-2003, 11:55 PM
applied and accepted
Florida*
Florida state
University of Miami**
University of South Florida

I cant decide if I want to be a Gator or a Hurricane

ChuviDuvi
03-14-2003, 11:56 PM
I got accepted to PSU... im playing football there next yr hopefully:D But I want to play for the Texas Longhorns... but PSU I LIKE!Good School!

Dayspring
03-15-2003, 12:47 AM
Good paintball team too. I can get you in touch with their president and a good buddy of mine on the team (Kurtis- AKA- KDogg)

Originally posted by ChuviDuvi
I got accepted to PSU... im playing football there next yr hopefully:D But I want to play for the Texas Longhorns... but PSU I LIKE!Good School!

darklord
03-26-2003, 03:31 PM
nice, I just heard from the last of the colleges I've applied, and, as luck has it, I got into all of them! :D

TigerMan
03-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Just wondering, for those of you who have put down all the colleges you've gotten into and such, what's your GPA? I'm just curious to see where I'd stack up and what to expect when the time comes for me to apply.

darklord
03-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by TigerMan
Just wondering, for those of you who have put down all the colleges you've gotten into and such, what's your GPA? I'm just curious to see where I'd stack up and what to expect when the time comes for me to apply. I have Pi (3.14) as my GPA, seriously. I don't play sports, I don't do extracurricular activities, and took the SAT I only once (got a 1190). I did my minimum requirement for community service in order to graduate, too (10 hours). My only strength is really my artwork and my grades, which really helped me get into all my schools. If you can believe you can do it, you will. Just don't procrastinate and get your stuff in well before the deadline.

irbodden
03-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by ShooterJM
Actually accounting, since they have a standardized certification test isn't the same as standard business. I don't doubt they checked his HS, it's a common practice. But did they check WHERE he went, or did they ask for his GPA and transcripts?

No an undergrad doesn't "mean nothing" you still need one. But where you get is is rather overrated.

Yes, the actually did ask his GPA. If they felt any doubt that he was telling the truth, I am sure they would have checked.

And the cert you are talking about, he was explaning it to me and how he passed it on his first try, which many do not.

He works a pretty high level job though, so it may be diffrent. Especially in an economy like this, there are many qualified people after jobs.

Collegeboy
03-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by TigerMan
Just wondering, for those of you who have put down all the colleges you've gotten into and such, what's your GPA? I'm just curious to see where I'd stack up and what to expect when the time comes for me to apply.

In high school or in college. In high school I had a 4.0. In college I have a 3.8_ (can never remember the last number). By the way I hate the plus and minus system. Does anyone else have to be subjugated to this evil monstrosity?

ShooterJM
03-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Yes, the actually did ask his GPA. If they felt any doubt that he was telling the truth, I am sure they would have checked.

And the cert you are talking about, he was explaning it to me and how he passed it on his first try, which many do not.

He works a pretty high level job though, so it may be diffrent. Especially in an economy like this, there are many qualified people after jobs.

Yeah most people don't pass the CPA the first time they sit for it. Every job I've applied for has asked for my GPA at least through college. And actually the last job my dad got he had to have transcripts from his HS and he's over 50 now.

It's probably highly dependent on who your interviewer is.

Heheeh yeah. um GPA? Let's just say I've never been a fan of "homework" or "attendence". It would also be fair to say that I was "stupid" and "immature". Regardless if your test scores are high enough, schools come calling.

Reo5th
03-26-2003, 07:14 PM
I got accepted into BYU last wednesday. It was my top choice.

Miscue
03-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Um... I just applied to whatever was closest. UNLV is a 20 minute drive, so I figured that was a good place to go. ;)

Graduating this May... yippee!

ChuviDuvi
03-26-2003, 11:44 PM
I Graduate this Yr, and I also got other Colleges letters accepting me, TEXAS A&M,PSU (ofcourse),Michigan,UCF ( i live near by),Wake Forest and that about it... As of now You can say Im slacking off I have a 3.999 as of right now I had a 4.2222 during the 2 grading period... Hopefully Im bringin it up this last sememster! Everyone Good LUCK!

Sooky
03-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Just accepted to UBC (University of British Columbia)! I will be transfering with two years of college.

Kevmaster
03-31-2003, 08:31 PM
UPDATE!!!

Accepted:
NC State University Engineering
University of North Carolina
Duke University

Denied:
Georgetown University
University of Virginia

Waitlisted:
Davidson College
Wake Forrest University

im going to DUKE!

Grey_Goose
04-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Got accepted to Duke w/ a 1.x GPA ^^

spacedtedybear
04-01-2003, 12:55 AM
I go to San Jose State studying physics. I didn't even try my luck at any other school. Not that I'm stupid, I'm just plain lazy. Besides, it saved my parents $$$$, something that we don't really have much of right now thanks to the economy.