PDA

View Full Version : big prob with new frame

Alfredo
03-12-2003, 10:27 PM
My stock plastic frame broke so today I bought a brand new intelliframe. When I got home I went to attach my drop forward and the bottom bolts got tight. So I went to screw them back out, one came out fine but the other got STUCK. Really STUCK. I tried to use the allen wrench but it stripped the screw. I tried to use pliers but the head of the screw broke off. So now I have a 120 dollar shiney piece of metal with a piece of a screw sticking out. Does anyone have any advice. Should I take it back to the store. This is not my fault.

askman
03-13-2003, 02:01 AM
as long as you have a screw to grip on to, you should be able to get it out. I would use a vice grip and lock onto the remains of the screw. plier does not grip hard enough, so don't use it. once it start to come out, it should come out easy. After that, get yourself a 10-32 tap and chase it. That should repair the thread. my guess is that it got somehow crossthreaded. It happens.

R-mag
03-13-2003, 10:49 AM
You'll probably end up stripping the threads in the grip frame. in that case just use a washer, and nut on the inside of the grip frame. but like the other guy siad use a vice grip.

Dayspring
03-13-2003, 11:58 AM
How's that work? You're the one who used the gorilla strength. You're the one who was working on it.

You need a screw extractor (if the vice grips don't get it out) and then run a tap through there and clean the threads, hopefully you didn't screw them too badly.

(Remember, aluminum is soft and can strip.)

Originally posted by Alfredo
This is not my fault.

Royal Assassin
03-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Use a Dremal tool and grind a slot in the top of the broken screw, get a screw driver and un screw it.

Royal