PDA

View Full Version : Which used VW?

ubooze
03-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Well, I just simply like the Corrado. I hope to get it and add a couple things. But which one should I get?

The G60 engine supposedly is very good performer, but there are troubles with the supercharger. Companies like Bahn Brenner (http://www.bahnbrenner.com/) offer some good additions to the 16v.

But, there is also the later VR6 engine. The VR6's are more expensive and harder to buy, but they also have a newer engine with parts that are more easily found.

So which is the better car according to you VeeDub-men? Which can out perform the other and still be a good daily-driver?

Thanks for any/all replies.

Curly
03-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Well I have a friend with a G60 and he loves it. He knows a lot about corrados and when i talk to him today i will ask his opinion on the two different engines.

I know that he had to drop a lot of cash to get a supercharger rebuild from bahn brenner. So a vr6 might be a better option.

All in all they are fun cars and whichever one you get you will have a lot of fun with. Its always fun to show off the spoiler that goes up and down. ;)

Im sure you know but there is a Corrado forum over at www.vwvortex.com and they can probably answer some of your questions.

Here is an old pic of my buddies car.

deathstalker
03-17-2003, 01:07 PM
VR6 all the way. The G60 requires pretty strict maintenance and as mentioned, needs to be rebuilt pretty regularly. The VR6 is an awesome motor and I should know - I have one ('95 Jetta GLX). Mine has stood up to all the abuse I can throw at it.

ubooze
03-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Wow, your buddy has a sweet car!!

I know the VR6 is a good engine, thats why I'm leaning towards it. The G60 also rox, but the problem is that supercharger, its whats making me be reluctant.

Python14
03-17-2003, 08:37 PM
VR6. Nothing more needs to be said. Ofcoarse, you could always steal an R32.

RetroEclipseMan
03-17-2003, 08:59 PM
I think you should also look at what you want out of the car, ton of power with the G60 with good handeling or a torque machine with the Vr6. The G60 suspension wise is a bit stiffer and a little more responsive than the vr6. Also you have to remember that the vr6's that are in the SLC's are the first production runs of that engine and there's some bugs that never got worked out before they were sold, not to mention an older vr6 with many miles on it requires just as much maintence as the G60 and in my opinion a bit tougher to work on.

If you're seriously looking into a Corrado definately check out the vortex. There's a ton of good people on there as well as 2 very good corrado FAQ threads that will tell you everything you need to know.

Personally, you could do what I'm planning on doing once I save up the money is to buy a G60, ditch the supercharger, rebuild the engine and toss on a stage 4 turbo.

ubooze
03-17-2003, 09:26 PM
I was also thinking that. Get a used untouched G60 and refurbish the monster with a new SC and evetually if money allows, a tuned crate engine. The engine swap thing also makes me interested, like the 1.8T, but the cast about $10K.

Also, I think if I get the VR6 I'de try to get the 4-lug hubs converted to the 5-lug ones. I dunno if that is a possibility with the G60.

Curly
03-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Yes i believe you can do a 5 lug conversion on the G60 but im not 100% positive.

RetroEclipseMan
03-17-2003, 09:44 PM
You should be able to do a 5 lug swap without too much problem. This guy that lives around me has Porsche rims on his which are 5 lug. As far as finding an untouched G60, good luck man. Those are few and far inbetween and you'll pay a ton of money for ones with low miles. I think your best bet is to find one with a good body and then the first 2 things you should do are dump a new supercharger on it as well as a new tranny cause everyone that i've talked to that has known anything about them says that those are the first 2 things to go and also have roughly 2 g's in the bank after you buy it for repairs.. Also if you're looking for a G60 and it has over 70,000 miles make sure the person has documentation for either having a new sp put on or having it rebuilt. If not you can almost 100% count on having to deal with that right after you buy it.

ubooze
03-17-2003, 10:04 PM
I didn't mean brand new and low mileage. I meant no upgrades and modifications done. I want the bare simple peices so that I can add to this thing.

The thing that I notice most Rados are show cars, or at least look it. Not many people seem to race these things. Ehh

Curly
03-17-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ubooze
I didn't mean brand new and low mileage. I meant no upgrades and modifications done. I want the bare simple peices so that I can add to this thing.

The thing that I notice most Rados are show cars, or at least look it. Not many people seem to race these things. Ehh

People only take pictures of the nice looking ones. :)

ubooze
03-17-2003, 10:14 PM
People only take pictures of the nice looking ones.

Sadly, that is too true. I want to see some data and pcs of a more race geared car then the show cars I usually see online.

RetroEclipseMan
03-17-2003, 10:49 PM

Sorry for the mixup. That's the right idea though. I know from my experience with dubs it's especially hard to find a corrado for a decent price at least in my area that hasn't at least been driven hard. I mean I looked at over 20 MK II GTi's before I found mine and it was the nicest out of them.

ubooze
03-17-2003, 11:15 PM
The main thing thats ticking me off bout the Rado is that in the Sub-6000 dollar price range, all the cars I've found on Autotrader.com are like 100 miles away. And they are either already worked on or simply crappy condition.

I wish VW would make a new run of Corrados. I read in European Car that the Volvo R's are actually made by the same deisgner and quite comparable in performance. Too bad they are soo expensive. :(

:eek: :D :cool: R32 engine in a Corrado. *evil grin*

Curly
03-17-2003, 11:29 PM
:eek: :D :cool: R32 engine in a Corrado. *evil grin*

AKA: Suicicde