PDA

View Full Version : AO members disrespectful.

Sir. Foxalot
03-17-2003, 12:57 AM
This has recently been coming to my attention and this is I guess me venting and expressing my opinion...

In all these posts people are using pictures making fun of Mentally Ill or Handicapped people. I think this is horrible. People are poking fun at people who are helpless to their condition and could never defend them selves. I think the way Ao members are using the people is just downright disrespectful. And before anyone says well then don’t look at that thread... People are just putting these pictures in random threads. We cannot make fun of other races or people, what gives us the right to make fun at another helpless person. I think everyone that puts up those pictures needs to take a long look in the mirror. I also think the Forum rules should be amended to include not allowing the deliberate use of pictures or comments that embarrass or hurt another person.

TransMan
03-17-2003, 01:10 AM
i completley agree tho i havnt seen any of these pics but i only look at a few threads a day so i prob missed em

bornl33t
03-17-2003, 06:29 AM
post a picture of you... and we'll make fun of it instead.

Go stand infront of a bulldozer plz ( "plz" indicates I'm polite :D)

shartley
03-17-2003, 06:36 AM
I would agree with this thread if it wasn’t so darn PC is stinks to heaven.

You want to put it the rules that you can’t post a picture or comments that may embarrass or hurt another person? LOL Then we would have to delete a good many posts people make just because they make themselves look foolish, are embarrassing, or hurt themselves.

I think moderation is the key, and thus far AO is about the best Paintball Related forums on that issue (as well as others). You will never eliminate offending everyone. And you can’t tell people that they can’t post something that might embarrass someone, because frankly sometimes folks NEED to be embarrassed.

I am all for being aware of what we post and how it affects others, but going PC crazy is not the answer.

1stdeadeye
03-17-2003, 10:49 AM
There is a difference between ribbing someone and trying to humiliate them. Flaming someone is already prohibited. Check out the Iraq thread! We are haveing a spirited debate and are keeping it quite civil.

Except for calling CollegeBoy a Frenchman!;) I said I was sorry for that very low blow!;) :p

SlartyBartFast
03-17-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye
Except for calling collegeboy a Frenchman!;) I said I was sorry for that very low blow!;) :p

How can you defend something as a good discussion while bringing up your own support for a negative stereotype?

The xenophobic, meglomaniac, and self centered American attitudes that are prevalent on the board these days have certainly put a dent in how much I bother reading AO.

I've stayed out of the other political threads because so many seem to be too immature to discuss topics without putting others down or resorting to sad stereotypes.

Whether it's the French, Arabs, Japanese, or others there's a lot of hate being put out on AO these days.

I'd agree with the origianl poster even if this is a little too PC for my tastes. Most of the OWNED and other type put-down images used simply show how immature the poster is and really reveal how little logical thinking they are capable of.

JAM
03-17-2003, 12:58 PM
yeah, things can be funny while being a little "off color" or whatnot... People in general need a better sense of humor and less of a politically correct attitude... Why do we need to protect everyone from themselves? people have opinions and they are free to, but please... some picture of a retarded kid with a funny caption is something I can laugh at, but that doesn't mean i disrespect "mentally challenged" people. Everyone jsut lighten up and have fun. Of course, there are limits, And the mods make sure to get rid of any truly offensive material pretty quickly.

Timmee
03-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by SlartyBartFast

How can you defend something as a good discussion while bringing up your own support for a negative stereotype?

The xenophobic, meglomaniac, and self centered American attitudes that are prevalent on the board these days have certainly put a dent in how much I bother reading AO.

I've stayed out of the other political threads because so many seem to be too immature to discuss topics without putting others down or resorting to sad stereotypes.

Whether it's the French, Arabs, Japanese, or others there's a lot of hate being put out on AO these days.

I'd agree with the origianl poster even if this is a little too PC for my tastes. Most of the OWNED and other type put-down images used simply show how immature the poster is and really reveal how little logical thinking they are capable of.

I don't feel that I have a xenophobic, meglomaniac, or self centered American attitude. I support the US troops in what they're doing (whether I agree with the reasons or not).

aaron_mag
03-17-2003, 02:15 PM

Totally in agreement with you here. However I am disappointed that the non U.S. contingent of A.O. don't want to put their opinion on the boards. Believe it or not I actually read the boards to LEARN something. Despite our vehement debate in the Iraq section I have learned some things and have had to concede some points. It would be great to get other perspectives. Some of our insults (like 1stdeadeye and myself) are actually done in humor. At any rate if A.O. loses its international element it would be a shade of its former self.

EDIT:

I don't feel that I have a xenophobic, meglomaniac, or self centered American attitude. I support the US troops in what they're doing (whether I agree with the reasons or not).

Great we are in danger of letting our other debate leak into other areas. We better not get into it here!

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
03-17-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Heat
post a picture of you... and we'll make fun of it instead.

Go stand infront of a bulldozer plz ( "plz" indicates I'm polite :D)

irbodden already took care of that with a picture of me...and yes it is disrespectful

BTAutoMag
03-17-2003, 03:17 PM
i think poking fun at disabled people is very bad. I'll be dating a one legged girl pretty soon and i dont know what the big deal is

1stdeadeye
03-17-2003, 03:20 PM

;) and:p mean jokes! Get it?;) :p

SlartyBartFast
03-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Bringing this back on-topic with the original complaint, that of poking fun at the disabled, it's really all about respecting others and thinking about your reply. There are so many much funnier ways to put your point across than to do the low, easy, pathetic approach of attacking an easy target/stereotype. If it's worth the effort for you to post and for others to read at least make your brain do a little work. If it's just going to insult others and adds nothing of note to the discussion, why bother?

Sorry about the hijacking of the thread because I really think the topic deserves some respect in its own right. However, I believe I am addressing a connected issue of general respect on AO.
Addressing responses to my post:

Timmee don't quote my entire post as your response only (inaccurately) addresses part of it.

Originally posted by Timmee
I don't feel that I have a xenophobic, meglomaniac, or self centered American attitude.

Good for you. I hope it's true and the reason I figure you inaccurately address my post. I am not familiar enough with your posts to comment on you personally. Indeed to keep discussion friendly, talk should be kept on the topic of the ideas being discussed and not the people discussing them. But the general feeling and atmosphere in many discussions is not one of open-mindedness and acceptance of other ideas. Much of the discussion degrades itself by resorting to stereotypes and simplistic labelling.

Actually a good reason that pictures of disabled or handicapped people are in such poor taste in posts. As the post using them invariably is making a statement against a poster and not ideas and that the negative aspects that the picture is undoubtedly supposed to ascribe to the poster are related to the affliction of the person represented.

I support the US troops in what they're doing (whether I agree with the reasons or not).

Keep that discussion out of this one. THIS discussion is about whether AO members are mature and level headed enough to accept the fact that there will always be opinions opposite to their own and that because an opinion is different doesn't mean it's wrong. I've been staying out of THAT discussion because I can't be bothered dealing with the responses I can assume I'd have to deal with.

More important is how discussion about the pros and cons of the issue are approached. Unfortunately regressing to the current hot topics, this can be illustrated with:
Anti-Bush is not anti-American.
Anti-War, Anti-Bush is not Pro-Sadam or Pro-Terrorism.
No one has the right to declare "You're with me or against me."
If you can think logically and discuss things amicably, starting from the above you can actually discuss common ground and alternate scenarios. If you can't all you'll ever do is descend towards insult.

The thing that I believe scares most people is that much of the time their opponent is always at least partially right. But not being able to separate what they believe from what they know, many resort to emotional arguments or descend into labels/stereotypes that allow them to easily dismiss the other point of view.

Even the worlds biggest crackpots have a grain of truth to their ramblings. That grain may not justify their position nor their actions. However, if you can understand that grain from their perspective you may just be able to envision a true solution to avoid the situation recurring.

It's a poor mind that can only think in black and white. Think I had a great quote lying around somewhere about that (and I may have put it on AO before).

The world is a complicated place. The sooner everyone understands this the better. Discussion can then lead to the fact that there is far more in common between most points of view than differences. And for the differences that really do matter, the world and society is large enough to make room for all the possibilities.

Originally posted by aaron_mag
However I am disappointed that the non U.S. contingent of A.O. don't want to put their opinion on the boards. Believe it or not I actually read the boards to LEARN something. Despite our vehement debate in the Iraq section I have learned some things and have had to concede some points. It would be great to get other perspectives. Some of our insults (like 1stdeadeye and myself) are actually done in humor. At any rate if A.O. loses its international element it would be a shade of its former self.

Well, considering the garbage that has been allowed on the boards about the French or Germans, do you really think they'd bother responding? As a Canadian I've had my country and beliefs insulted on list. I'd think that the level of insults against a number of groups is high enough that someone quickly skimming AO would probably assume that AGD products are the last thing they want to buy due to the opinions that are expressed. A good reason for the avoid political discussions in the first place. But now we have moderators making such discussions Classic.

Why bother giving your point of view in such an atmosphere. Insults are only in humour if you REALLY know and understand the person you are talking with and rarely come across as intended in a forum such as this.

Considering the varying and split opinion in the US over the current hot issues, the American members on the list should be asking themselves why their own fellow citizens aren't speaking up with their opinions. I will admit that paintball as a sport will undoubtedly be quite a bit right of centre to begin with and perhaps not represent a perfect cross segment of opinion, but the other opinions have to be out there.

As it is now, I'm debating to just stick to the technical/paintball issues and ignore all other discussion.

;) and :p mean jokes! Get it?;) :p

I get it. But in what sense? Seems to me much of the discussion is attempting to be serious. A joke in that case is a put down of the other poster's position. Also how are you to interpret the 'joke' in the context of this discussion? That it was a joke (probably inappropriate) in the previous discussion? That it's a joke now? That the discussion at hand is a joke?
You see, others can't read the nuance of the message. Also, at some point disrespect is always in poor taste.

But then we're back to the issue that you should never discuss politics, religion, or morality if you want to guarantee friendly discussion.

1stdeadeye
03-17-2003, 04:05 PM
I get it. But in what sense? Seems to me much of the discussion is attempting to be serious. A joke in that case is a put down of the other poster's position. Also how are you to interpret the 'joke' in the context of this discussion? That it was a joke (probably inappropriate) in the previous discussion? That it's a joke now? That the discussion at hand is a joke?
You see, others can't read the nuance of the message. Also, at some point disrespect is always in poor taste.

A joke can also be an attempt to diffuse a debate that is getting to hot. It can also be a way to keep things fun. The Iraq debate is not a classroom. It is fun discourse of ideas. I think you should realy read the posts before you slam someone as disrespectful. Guess what Collegeboy and I have agreed on quite a few things.

As Aaron_Mag stated, we are having fun with it. We have almost all conceded points if proven wrong. I think you are the one painting the American AO populace with too broad of a brush. The Friendly corner is meant to be fun. So enjoy it. This isn't life or death, it's just chat! So relax!:p

FutureMagOwner
03-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Well, considering the garbage that has been allowed on the boards about the French or Germans, do you really think they'd bother responding? As a Canadian I've had my country and beliefs insulted on list.

now i have heard alot of french(or should i say freedom ;) ) insulting recently but germans i havent seen alot of slander towards truthfully(however i dont go thru every iraq/war related thread in search of people calling them krauts or jerries or heavily insulting their inability to win wars (which i may add isnt their fault they are a force not to be underestimated with in the past)) also i havent seen alot of canadian insulting beyond that of the ribbing that is given back and forth.(americans call canadians dumb, canadians calling us fat etc) could you point out some german slandering for me or canadian for that matter(PMS)

aaron_mag
03-17-2003, 04:45 PM
First Slartybartfast is right in that posts can get hostile when it comes down to politics. I also wouldn't mind it if we had never gotten into an Iraq post. I never started one of them but I was so incredulous as to some of the posts that I had to jump into the fray (my opinion is on the minority side of the board).

Now lets discuss the moderators making the Iraq thread classic. They did this for a good reason. Every time you got on AO there was a new Iraq thread and we would all go there and restate everything all over again (and we are still restating it but it is a passionate debate here in the states and neither side is willing to give an inch). The moderators were trying to cut down on the number of Iraq threads not encourage discussion on them. I think they did the right thing.

At any rate I am glad you posted. If the international component of AO silently decides to leave because of the discussions and opinions on this board it would be bad. Preferrably I'd like to have civilized discussions with our international neighbors (borrowing from Mr. Rogers) on anything that might come up. I just hope we can go back to discussing whether the latest installment of the Star Wars series sucked/was brilliant in the near future.

Russ
03-17-2003, 04:52 PM
SlartyBartFast,

Very well though out & written...I wish I had your writting skills to get my point(s) across.

I do agree with a lot of what you say. Much of the "debates" on this "Friendly" forum clearly go over the guidelines that were set-up to avoid problems. Those lines have been skewed in order to allow certain discussions...

I think I'll stick with tech-type stuff, and keep my nose out of political/religious and racial subjects.
:)

FactsOfLife
03-17-2003, 05:30 PM

please don't let the back button hit you on the backside on the way out.:rolleyes:

aaron_mag
03-17-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by FactsOfLife

please don't let the back button hit you on the backside on the way out.:rolleyes:

Sheesh. No wonder FactsOfLife disagree on almost anything. We'd probably disagree on what a hit and what splatter was!

Jack_Dubious
03-17-2003, 06:09 PM
I just hope we can go back to discussing whether the latest installment of the Star Wars series sucked/was brilliant in the near future.

I think that the Security Council should vote to stop and disarm George Lucas, before he creates his next MMG. (Movie of Mass Greediness) Has America not learned from his two earlier terror attacks??? (Episode 1 and 2)

Some of you may say "But wasnt he our ally in the '70 and '80s?". Yes he was our Ally and we gave him our money. But after his attempted invasion of TV, also known as "The Ewok Adventure" (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0087225) , we could see that he was just a Madman bent on destroying all that is sacred and holy to our generation.

How long will we let this man stay in power? He must be removed!

JDub

1stdeadeye
03-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Jack_Dubious

I think that the Security Council should vote to stop and disarm George Lucas, before he creates his next MMG. (Movie of Mass Greediness) Has America not learned from his two earlier terror attacks??? (Episode 1 and 2)

Some of you may say "But wasnt he our ally in the '70 and '80s?". Yes he was our Ally and we gave him our money. But after his attempted invasion of TV, also known as "The Ewok Adventure" (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0087225) , we could see that he was just a Madman bent on destroying all that is sacred and holy to our generation.

How long will we let this man stay in power? He must be removed!

JDub

I liked Episode 2! Does this make me bad?:(

aaron_mag
03-17-2003, 06:40 PM

I liked Episode 2! Does this make me bad?:(

Ummmm yeah! Sorry 1stdeadeye I can only live up to my respectful talk when it suits me. If you liked that movie, however, the gloves are off and I must start being very insulting!:)

Some of you may say "But wasnt he our ally in the '70 and '80s?". Yes he was our Ally and we gave him our money. But after his attempted invasion of TV, also known as "The Ewok Adventure" , we could see that he was just a Madman bent on destroying all that is sacred and holy to our generation.

I heard a funny commentary on Episode 1. The commentator noted that the economy was good, we had this new thing called the internet, things were great. Then Episode 1 came out and sucked and reality as we knew it started to unravel. :)

Wait a sec....Jack Dubious is getting us way off topic here...

1stdeadeye
03-17-2003, 07:06 PM

Ummmm yeah! Sorry 1stdeadeye I can only live up to my respectful talk when it suits me. If you liked that movie, however, the gloves are off and I must start being very insulting!:)

But Jango Fett was cool! ;)

I heard a funny commentary on Episode 1. The commentator noted that the economy was good, we had this new thing called the internet, things were great. Then Episode 1 came out and sucked and reality as we knew it started to unravel. :)

Episode 2 was neat. If you play Star Wars Bounty Hunter, It gives you the story of the Clone Army and how Tyrannus turned Jango Fett. Great game! I have beaten it. "Oh no Jango..Bando Gora!"

Brak
03-17-2003, 07:33 PM
is this still PC?

InfinatyBPS
03-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Sir. Foxalot
This has recently been coming to my attention and this is I guess me venting and expressing my opinion...

In all these posts people are using pictures making fun of Mentally Ill or Handicapped people. I think this is horrible. People are poking fun at people who are helpless to their condition and could never defend them selves. I think the way Ao members are using the people is just downright disrespectful. And before anyone says well then don’t look at that thread... People are just putting these pictures in random threads. We cannot make fun of other races or people, what gives us the right to make fun at another helpless person. I think everyone that puts up those pictures needs to take a long look in the mirror. I also think the Forum rules should be amended to include not allowing the deliberate use of pictures or comments that embarrass or hurt another person.

Yet I bet you make fun of fat people without a second thought, because we all know how easy it is to lose weight...:rolleyes:

InfinatyBPS
03-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by BTAutoMag
i think poking fun at disabled people is very bad. I'll be dating a one legged girl pretty soon and i dont know what the big deal is

Did you see the movie Freddy Got Fingered :) Sorry, I just thought of that movie when you said that

;)

1stdeadeye
03-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by InfinatyBPS

Yet I bet you make fun of fat people without a second thought, because we all know how easy it is to lose weight...:rolleyes:

I make fun of fat people!:p

Go on a diet! Oh wait that is what my wife yells at me. Okay I'll make fun of fat people when I drop 30 pounds!;)

FactsOfLife
03-17-2003, 08:33 PM

Sheesh. No wonder FactsOfLife disagree on almost anything. We'd probably disagree on what a hit and what splatter was!

fairness is one thing. idiocy another.

Jack_Dubious
03-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Wait a sec....Jack Dubious is getting us way off topic here...

::Jack Dubious waves his hand toward aaron_mag::

Jack Dubious: "This is not the thread you are looking for."

aaron_mag: "This isnt the thread Im looking for."

Jack Dubious: "You should make fun of 1stdeadeye."

aaron_mag: "I think Ill make fun of 1stdeadeye."

:D
JDub

Sir. Foxalot
03-17-2003, 09:20 PM

Look here pal dont quote me on my life. I am not very PC at all however... You may not dare say that I make fun of fat people. How dare you say anything about me. I deal with Mentally ill people every day 17 of them to be exact and guess what i also deal with people who are overweight, what gives you the authority to say anything about how I act. You Sir need to take a long look in the mirror and once u can comment and feal fine about your self then you STILL DONT HAVE ANY AUTHORITY TO COMMENT ON HOW I ACT. I am ashamed to have you post that in this thread!!!:mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

PS I am dealing with a weight issue so I belive you need to F Off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Demobilized
03-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Are you calling me fat?

aaron_mag
03-17-2003, 09:33 PM
::repeats with glazed look in his eyes::I think I need to make fun of 1stdeadeye......

Okay 1stdeadeye I'd like to point out that you are expousing the virtues of a movie where the main bad guy was Count Dooku. Yes that is right Dooku!

Think of the dialogue between the light saber fighters in the first two movies. Some quotes "Now I am the master"..."Only a master of evil Darth". Envision Luke walking through darkened corridors. We see the silhouette of Vader on the stairs then the familiar breathing starts. "The force is with you Skywalker but you are not a Jedi yet."

Compare this with the last two movies. There was no good dialogue. But what can you expect when the guy doesn't even care enough to choose any other name for his villian than Count Dooku!

::goes back to glazed over look::

BTAutoMag
03-17-2003, 10:04 PM

Did you see the movie Freddy Got Fingered :) Sorry, I just thought of that movie when you said that

;)

so that means i gotta see the movie now... damn you

sneakyhacker420
03-17-2003, 10:24 PM
There is a difference between ribbing someone and trying to humiliate them. Flaming someone is already prohibited. Check out the Iraq thread! We are haveing a spirited debate and are keeping it quite civil.

Except for calling CollegeBoy a Frenchman!;) I said I was sorry for that very low blow!;) :p
where the heck did you find the work ribbing?

i thought that was a "my-school-only-cool-thing"

i guess not...lol :rolleyes:

but making fun of people with disabilities isnt funny.

Xerces
03-17-2003, 10:50 PM
i think the point he is trying to make is, if we were all the same, then everyone would be happy! go communism!

InfinatyBPS
03-17-2003, 11:03 PM

Look here pal dont quote me on my life. I am not very PC at all however... You may not dare say that I make fun of fat people. How dare you say anything about me. I deal with Mentally ill people every day 17 of them to be exact and guess what i also deal with people who are overweight, what gives you the authority to say anything about how I act. You Sir need to take a long look in the mirror and once u can comment and feal fine about your self then you STILL DONT HAVE ANY AUTHORITY TO COMMENT ON HOW I ACT. I am ashamed to have you post that in this thread!!!:mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

PS I am dealing with a weight issue so I belive you need to F Off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I didn't say you do, but I said i bet you do... and not just you but everyone that posted in this thread and said that they shouldn't talk bad about mentaly challenged people... I don't understand what your talking about having authority about anything, your mindless ranting kind of got me lost. Also don't think you are the only one with weight issues, I'v been overweight my whole life, and now im 150+ pounds overweight, so don't get all pissy. I was just saying people need to lighten up about jokes, there is no need to be saying its disrespectful. Its a joke, most jokes are disrespectful to someone. Does this make it right? No, but if it's funny, I'll laugh, and if its not I won't. What gives you the right to tell people what they should say and shouldn't say? WHAT GIVES YOU THE AUTHORITY TO TELL PEOPLE?!?!? HUH? YOU LIKE ONLINE ANGRY TALK HEH? WELL HOW DO YOU LIKE THIS!!!!!!
:rolleyes:

InfinatyBPS
03-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by BTAutoMag

so that means i gotta see the movie now... damn you

or mabe you shouldn't because you will probably hate me :D ;)

BTAutoMag
03-17-2003, 11:10 PM
it's ok i already hate you

~smiles evily~

and i can say that because youre not disabled

1stdeadeye
03-17-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Jack_Dubious

::Jack Dubious waves his hand toward aaron_mag::

Jack Dubious: "This is not the thread you are looking for."

aaron_mag: "This isnt the thread Im looking for."

Jack Dubious: "You should make fun of 1stdeadeye."

aaron_mag: "I think Ill make fun of 1stdeadeye."

JDub

I got it! JDub is Darth Sidiuos!:p

Jack_Dubious
03-17-2003, 11:30 PM

I got it! JDub is Darth Sidiuos!:p

Darth Dubious :p

hmm I like it :D

JDub

RPK
03-17-2003, 11:34 PM
I agree with the original post (however I did not read much of the others). I think the fact that a large sum (not everyone) of the paintball players are so "disresectful" has alot to do with why some people (and largly the women) are not attracted to Paintball.

I just believe that some things should be respected, on and off the field - which includes forums. Stuff like making jokes about disabled and handicaped people and over shooting is a bad advertisement for Paintball.

We are all human and we will make our mistakes, but we should also learn from them as well.

RPK

WicKeD_WaYz
03-17-2003, 11:36 PM
you could argue that they cannot defend themselves.

I would argue back that they are not even aware that they are being made fun of.

i understand your point but welcome to the internet. This is not church.

1stdeadeye
03-17-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by sneakyhacker420

but making fun of people with disabilities isnt funny.

I was not advocating making fun of the disabled. I was poking fun at his everybody be a proper little man or lady tone. We can all have a little fun with each other without being crude. That's all!

I did not think my post was that cryptic. Xerces got it after all!:p ;)

Besides, I didn't think that CollegeBoy's U;ltra Liberal Views made him disabled. Well now that you mention it maybe that does....:p

RPK
03-18-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by WicKeD_WaYz

I would argue back that they are not even aware that they are being made fun of.

You are right, this isn't church, but it is paintball. We as paintball players (believers or non believers) need to stand together and show that we respect everyone, no matter what their differences are - that is positive advertisment.

RPK

1stdeadeye
03-18-2003, 12:24 AM
Stand together or Fall apart. That is an old expression. I do believe it to be true on the fields, but here?

A little good natured humor never hurt anyone. Also, if we all just went along agreeing, how boring would AO be?

Jack_Dubious
03-18-2003, 12:28 AM
Also, if we all just went along agreeing, how boring would AO be?
Homer Simpson voice: "Boooooooring!"

SlartyBartFast
03-18-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by WicKeD_WaYz

That's a really pathetic argument. You are the last person I'd want as an acquantance or friend with that attitude.

Didn't you ever learn that talking behind someone's back is as bad as saying it to their face? Hope the people around you in life realise you beleive that mocking others is acceptable.

While I do not attend church, I see that you've misunderstood one of the basics. You're not judged on what you only do in church and on your best behaviour. You're judged on what you do when you're at your worst.

On a professional type e-mail list I'm on, it is often said that every post should be written as if your Boss or the next person to interview you is reading it.

While there is a modicum of annonymity on this board, self respect should hold you to something along the same lines. Write everything in a manner that you'd be happy to show anyone.

Xerces
03-18-2003, 08:05 AM
You Sir need to take a long look in the mirror and once u can comment and feal fine about your self then you STILL DONT HAVE ANY AUTHORITY TO COMMENT ON HOW I ACT.

i don't appriciate how you assume i own a mirror. just because my finances aren't exactly stellar doesn't give you the right to make fun of my financial situation! YOU NEED TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK INTO THE RUSTING TIN CAN AND THEN once you can comment and FEEL FINE ABOUT MAKING FUN OF PEOPLE WHO ARE POOR. :rolleyes:

aaron_mag
03-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Okay this is getting ridiculous. We can't insult each other into not being insulting can we? This is a thread about civility after all...

RPK
03-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Stand together or Fall apart. That is an old expression. I do believe it to be true on the fields, but here?

A little good natured humor never hurt anyone. Also, if we all just went along agreeing, how boring would AO be?

I just realize that some people will check stuff out on the internet (might find a forum or two) before they decide to play. And a good natured disagreement is great, but we shouldn't intentionally hurt others.

RPK

daveymag
03-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by RPK
We as paintball players need to stand together and show that we respect everyone, no matter what their differences are.

RPK
Yea, that's gonna happen. Come on people, nobodies perfect (except me.) Life would be so boring if everyone just got along.

Timmee
03-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Sorry SlartyBartFast, I'd seen something about the American attitude, and the blinders went up (hence the reason I ONLY focused on that).

And to keep this post on topic, I really enjoy some of the pics that don't have ANY people in it (like the Bobby the Kitten one). Also, I feel that using pics of mentally challenged people can be crude, but I probably won't be able to change anyone else's mind about it (if they disagree).

Thus endeth my contribution to this thread.

luke
03-18-2003, 02:11 PM
PS>>> so I belive you need to F Off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

That's the attitude!:rolleyes:

kenshinkandon
03-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Well this comes down to your personal freedoms people have the right to say what they want and there is little that anyone can do about it.

If you don't like what someone is posting on here, try and explain to them how it makes you feel and why. Maybe then they will understand that what they are doing can effect people.

I think the biggest think to remember when your on AO or any other place for that matter is that people are on the other end of computer seeing what your are doing. Now you may think it's funny but not to someone who knows someone or is obese, disabled or anything that they can think of to make fun of.

However I don't like the idea of being regulated by someone about how someone should act, that is something that should be left up to one person only yourself.

If moderators started regulating what people said on AO, I for one would stop surfing here due to the fact that I know it's not what people really feel.

If you are someone who is biased about something good for you however you should keep those felling to yourself and respect other who use a PUBLIC forum of discussion.

If you feel that poeple are becoming to disrespectful to others PM a Mod or other users and start an online petition to have that person banned.