PDA

View Full Version : 2003 College National Championships - April 12 at CPX

raehl
03-18-2003, 03:19 AM
College Nationals are just around the corner on April 12 at Challenge Park Xtreme. 54 teams are already registered. Vendors currently include Brass Eagle, National Paintball Supply, PMI, and AKA. At $100/team* and $35/case and up, sold by the vendors direct to you, this tournament is likely the least expensive event you've ever played.

Any 5-man team of full-time students from the same college or university is encouraged to attend and each school may enter as many teams as they wish. Players range in experience from tournament veterans to first-timers, so whether you're there to win or play your first tournament, the National Championships is the event for you.

Fields are airball and hyperball. Spectator admission is free, and spectators are strongly encouraged to bring friends and family. The NCPA guarantees spectators the pleasure of a clean, family-friendly, competitive event.

More information about the event is available at www.college-paintball.com/nationals.

College Paintball Top 10 as of 3/17/03: Complete Rankings (http://www.college-paintball.com/rankings)

1. Purdue University Boilermakers (200)
1. Penn State University Nittany Lions (200)
1. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (200)
1. Iowa State University Cyclones (200)
5. Drexel University Dragons (194)
6. University of Illinois Illini (185)
7. Rutgers University Scarlet Knights (170)
8. Illinois State University Redbirds (159)
9. Clemson University Tigers (157)
10. University of Massachusetts Minutemen (156)

PsychoBaller
03-18-2003, 03:50 AM
You know this is important when us Rutgers guys are shelling out the big $$$ to FLY out to Chicago.. heheheeh.... I'm not saying we're cheap... just not that into spending money, hah..

I'll see ya there as I'm playing for one of the 2 Rutgers Squads we are showing up with.

~da "dang it feels good to be a college guy" baller

Wc Keep
03-18-2003, 09:37 AM
id just like to say good luck to my teammate pyschoballer and his rutgers teammates and my good friend ezrunnr and his clemson boys who treated us great at sc ao day.

good luck boys!!!!!

Oddball
03-18-2003, 12:53 PM
I will be playing with the newly formed Soutern Illinios Univ Club. We only got the club going this semster and I think we have two teams going. Everyone is looking forward to playing and I think that besides me, this will be everyone else's first tourny ever. Needless to say, it should be interesting.

Chris, what is the format. I assume just break up the teams into divisions and then play round-robin in the division (with like 5-8 games played by each team depending on size of divisions) and the top 2 teams from each division moving on to semis. Basic 100 point scoring format with 50 for hang, 20 for 1st pull, 4 per kill and 2 per live player. Sound about right or different format?

SIU Paintball Club (http://www.siu.edu/~siupbc)

raehl
03-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Brackets are a little different. They're kind of catered to the fact that there are some teams there who are there to WIN, and some teams there that are there to play/have fun/etc, along with our need to get 60 teams in and out in a day.

There are two "rounds" in prelims. The first round is 5-team round-robin brackets, with teams seeded in by season rankings. The seeding process is a wee bit convoluted so I won't get into that here.

Round two is 4-team brackets. The bottom three of each bracket from round one are ranked against all the other bottom-3 teams in the other brackets by round one score, then put into brackets with teams next to them in the rankings. These brackets are just for fun to give newer teams some more games against other teams at their rough skill level.

Top two teams are seeded into 4-team brackets (6 of them) much as you'd expect based on prelim score.

that gets everyone a 7-game minimum. From that point we'll either advance the top two out of the top 6 brackets in round 2 to semis in three brackets of four and then advance the top one plus a wildcard, or we'll advance the top one from each of the top-6 brackets plus two wildcards to semis for 2 4-team brackets and then the top two of each of those brackets to finals. Not sure which way we'll go on that yet.

Anyway, the idea is that if you're in the running for the win, you'll easily place top 2 out of 5 in round one and we'll get you into brackets with those other teams in the running for the win; and if you're there because NCPA tournaments are a great way to get into tournament ball, you'll get a crack at some of the top teams in round one (And if miracles happen, a chance to advance) and some good play against other teams of a similar skill level in round 2.

Points are as you said.

- Chris