PDA

View Full Version : NEW HALO DESIGN IDEA... (pic)

Jack & Coke
03-21-2003, 03:04 AM
Hello,

I had the idea the other day and quickly hacked together a a few images to illustrate my idea... a LOW-PROFILE HALO.

Since the balls coming out of the Halo are force-fed, it should be no problem to have them travel up an inclined extended feed tube. Then into a gently elbow, and then directly into the markers feed neck.

I figure only a slight modification in the general shape of the Halo would be nessessary.

The capacity would be the same.

The location and orientation of the battery would have to change. Move it to the front and angle is downwards.

There would be room for clearance under the hopper so you can manipulate adjustable feed necks.

What do you think?

If it worked, would you by one?

Jack & Coke
03-21-2003, 03:05 AM
:)

joeyjoe367
03-21-2003, 04:13 AM
Wow, that'd probably work. Might make the shape a bit differant but that's not really the issue.

TheJester
03-21-2003, 06:32 AM
why aren't you in the production business? that's 1 helluva good idea..should i wait before getting my halo?(not that i'm getting 1 anytime soon anyway)

luke
03-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Neat idea............

EsPo
03-21-2003, 07:54 AM
so your saying that its going to look like an eggy.. yeah. you might have trouble b\c its TOO low. It might end up hitting the pull pin on some guns.

-=Squid=-
03-21-2003, 08:21 AM
Only problem is that by the looks of it it will be offset from the gun, and not directly on top? :confused:

ChucktheMAGician
03-21-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm not a big Halo fan but if that came out I think I'd buy one, Good idea!

Aliens-8-MyDad
03-21-2003, 08:55 AM
and why not do this so u have a more centerd hopper and space for batteries?

Jack & Coke
03-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by TheJester
why aren't you in the production business? that's 1 helluva good idea..should i wait before getting my halo?(not that i'm getting 1 anytime soon anyway)

Whooa...:) I just thought of this recently... heheh... I PM'ed Edward at ODYSSEY the other day, so I'm still wait to hear from him.

I't just an idea and nothing has even been designed.

For now, yeah... I'd say go ahead and get the Halo... it rocks! :):)

Originally posted by EsPo
so your saying that its going to look like an eggy.. yeah. you might have trouble b\c its TOO low. It might end up hitting the pull pin on some guns.

Not nessessarly like an eggy - the battery could be located in front of a the verticle feed tube, giving it a slightly different shape.

As far as going too low, that can be addressed through an adjustable clamping feed neck, or an extra long stock feed tube which can always be cut down to size to the customers on marker. Since it's a force feed system, you don't have to worry about how many balls are in the stack.

Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Only problem is that by the looks of it it will be offset from the gun, and not directly on top? :confused:

It's supposed to be directly on top. It's look offset due to my crappy photoshop skills...:D

Originally posted by Aliens-8-MyDad
and why not do this so u have a more centerd hopper and space for batteries?

I'm sure there is some optimal distance which the verticle feed tube can be located which still maximizes the goal of "low-profile". Since I haven't drawn this up to scale in AutoCAD yet, it's hard to tell just where it could go.

I just moved the hopper around photoshop until the hopper was as low as possible with still enough room for the bend and verticle feed neck. Remember you need room for the sloped floor that the balls sit on...:)

Thanks for the replies guys!

Be critical!

Come up with ideas!

Brainstorm!

Let's get something going here so we can make a good presentation to Odyssey. Maybe they'll name the next Halo after us... "HALO AO" LOL!::)

On my way to work... talk to you later....

TheTramp
03-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by EsPo
you might have trouble b\c its TOO low. It might end up hitting the pull pin on some guns.

I think it's a good idea but you are deffinetly going to have to deal with this issue.

thecavemankevin
03-21-2003, 11:29 AM
that is one of the biggest reasons why i hate the egg...i hate how far back on the gun it sits and aids in unbalencing of the entire marker.

But on another note, you could easily design a feed neck that has a cut in the side (instead of in the top like a normal one) and build a halo that sends balls into the side, and then the flow down the feed neck (kinda like a powerfeed in the way they bend and go down).

Jack & Coke
03-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Again...

An adjustable clamping feed neck, or an extra long stock feed tube which can always be cut down to size to the customers on marker.

The user would be able to custom set the hopper low enough, but still have clearance to access the bolt pin.

I think the cramped access to the pin would be worth it. How often does the player take out their bolt durring a game anyway? I can't remember seeing a tournament player, stop in the middle of a heated battle, and remove his bolt to clean out a ball break. Most of the games I seen, they either quickly clean it from the front through the barrel, just just shoot through the mess to clean the barrel.

Besides, it they really had trouble accessing the bolt pin, they could always loosen the clamp and twist the hopper to the side.:)

Anyone here with any 3D Studio Max skills?

SaS
03-21-2003, 11:44 AM
let me say good idea before i continue

wouldn't it reduce the amount of paint it could carry?
doesn't the halo already work best with a smaller stack? wouldn't this just extend it further?

how about directly incorporating a removable feedneck with the hopper... so the hopper would screw directly into the spot for the feed neck on the marker, practically eliminating the feed neck entirely

could make the, now threaded, hopper feed neck interchangable so you can install a angel threaded neck or some other thread type

this could possibly take the form of a direct shell upgrade rather then a whole new hopper design

only draw back would be the possibility of stripping the threads in the markers body... which actually is already a possibility.

Hunter
03-21-2003, 01:06 PM
I believe it would be a good idea to make one of these, and if you were to come out with these, i would defenitly buy one.

PsychoBaller
03-21-2003, 02:44 PM
I would probabaly buy one of those if you made them.... get a fire lit under Edward to make those such models instead, lol

~da baller

Ryknow
03-21-2003, 04:17 PM
this would be cool for all of the people without warps, but as for the people using warps, ever put a egg II on one and shouldered it? it is basically in your mouth. HALO should make them like this and the other version, depending on whether people dont want it set back as far and throwing off the balance on your gun a little bit. Or if they have a warp and can outshoot a revvy. Just my $.02.
~Tyler

Havoc_online
03-21-2003, 04:18 PM
looks pretty cool and I'd probably buy one :)

However first thing that comes to mind is the battery life and spring tension this design is going to have. Remember the HALO counts on a small to no ballstack in order to feed at high rates. In order to keep up, the design may either need a different type of spring, operate at a higher power, or something else that I havent thought of...

(nice work though :))

personman
03-21-2003, 04:21 PM
It looks like sence it is pushing the balls up, then hitting a curve and going down, it might feed slower than usual...

Jack & Coke
03-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Havoc_online
looks pretty cool and I'd probably buy one :)

However first thing that comes to mind is the battery life and spring tension this design is going to have. Remember the HALO counts on a small to no ballstack in order to feed at high rates. In order to keep up, the design may either need a different type of spring, operate at a higher power, or something else that I havent thought of...

(nice work though :))

Of course there are going to be technical hurdles to overcome. The idea was to start with a concept and then engineer a solution. (low-profile without having to WARP - better balance and less weight)

I have a warp and love it for it's low-profile benefits. Although it is VERY VERY comfortable while shooting using a two handed hold, it's way too uncomfortable when held with only one hand (i.e. running, sliding, standing, etc.)... the balance is off.

Start with this idea... if you had to put a hopper "on top" of the marker, where would the best place be?

I thought, well, how about as low as functionally possible and as far back as possible without having it hit you in the face (given the average dimensions of todays most common tournament markers).

From here let's think about making it work.

Before, design started with what was easiest to make function. "Form follows Function"... er sumtin'?

How about "Funciton follows Form!":D

Where Form = low-profile hopper.

and Function = AO Think Tank figures it out;)

PsychoBaller
03-22-2003, 03:16 AM
Considering I doubt Odyssey will pick up this idea...... SOMEONE GET WORKING.... on prototypes for the WHOPPER posted a few days back... and this modified HALO Version.....

~da "i want one of either" baller

Yamz
03-22-2003, 08:20 AM
rember the halo b is belt driven so the motor is not directly under the impeller by angeling it up like in your first one you fill up too much space from where the motor would sit (at least i think thats where its at i would have to look at mine again i cant remember and i too tired to find mine right now) and you second design would be the exact same as just cutting down the feed neck although i will give you an A+ for trying its people who are willing to try things and except their failers that may one day create great things

Jack & Coke
03-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Update...

What do you think?

A. http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif You're on the right track... keep going... I like the design.

B. http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif I hate it. Go back to the drawing board and try again...

C. http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif I like it... but with a few design changes (i.e. try to shorten the feed neck as much as possible)

D. Get back to work and stop wasting time on the internet... :)

Jack & Coke
03-26-2003, 05:03 PM
This is how it looks on unseen's uber Timmy... :)

FutureMagOwner
03-26-2003, 05:09 PM
well they could always make special halo pull pins they already got special halo feed tubes

Russ
03-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Well, once you get past Odyssey's patents, I know of a plastic injection mold company that would gladly build the molds for you, that is, when you get the $250,000 or so for the molds...:eek:

Connecticut Tool (http://www.conntool.com/)

Jack & Coke
03-26-2003, 05:38 PM
pfft... only $250,000?

Pocket change!

:rolleyes:

darklord
03-26-2003, 05:41 PM
That is a great idea, but it just seems incredibly unbalanced to me, with the feed tube being all the way forward and all...

Ultimator
03-26-2003, 05:47 PM
I don't know ... I don't like it. I think there would be some serious balance issues. Maybe it's just me.

Jack & Coke
03-26-2003, 06:19 PM
regarding "patents" remark

Do I need permission from Odyssey to make an aftermarket part? (i.e. shell and catch cup)

What about all of the after market bolts, pins, regs, triggers, eye covers, etc. that are available today? Do they also require permission from the original product manufacture? (NOTE: I'm not disagreeing, I don't know the answer, so I'm asking)

Right now, I guess you can cosider this the "wishful-thinking" brainstorming phase. I see no harm in dreaming up a design. If, and I stress IF, it every progressess to a proto-type phase, I'm sure we can worry about "legal" and "construction cost" issues at that time.

In the mean time, why the knock down comments? Why the negativity towards dreaming up an idea and having fun with it?

Maybe someone with some money, CAD/CAM expertise, access to cheap production, will give it a try. Who knows...

CAD/CAM => mold creation ~ $1,000 - $2,300

*All pricing is in US Dollars and includes 30 parts from black ABS stock material (other stock materials available) with a standard delivery of fifteen days. All orders must be prepaid. Pricing is based on samples and varies according to model complexity, mold finish, quantity, and material requirements. The mold insert(s) are yours and are returned with the parts unless otherwise specified. Additional runs from same tooling are priced at $0.65 to $2.85+ depending on part, quantity and material plus $385 setup charge...

This was from just a quick search... I'm sure prices could vary.