PDA

View Full Version : Which gun should I get?

Kilgore
03-22-2003, 11:07 PM
Hey guys, I just want to say that I'm new to this form, and I'm new to paintball. Anyways, my cousin and uncle own a paintball shot in Missouri, and I cant get hooked with a paintball gun. I want a Automag, but I asked my cousin if an automag is a good gun, and he said that automags are outdated and they're not that good. So should I get one anyways? If I get one and paintball with people, they wont laugh at me will they?

Xen
03-22-2003, 11:10 PM
ok think about this, your posting on a MAG forum, guess what kinda responses you will get? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

askman
03-23-2003, 12:15 AM
If you can afford it, get a mag, level 10 bolt, revvy and a n2. You will never chop, and you will shut others up with your "antique" gun. kick some butt it will.

Loser
03-23-2003, 01:06 AM
Try to shoot different guns first, see what you like. If you really like the feel of a mag, get one!

Whatever you get take care of it, and you will be happy.;)

Cliffio
03-23-2003, 01:54 AM
here, let me help you

this is what everyone will say

xmag

just be prepared to wait till december to get one:rolleyes:

mykroft
03-23-2003, 02:16 AM
Matrix

But the Mag's pretty nice.

Angel's are junk though :D

Dayspring
03-23-2003, 02:23 AM
No. They won't laugh at you. Mags are very reliable and easy to tech. AGD has EXCELLENT customer service and a great online forum.

Dave
03-23-2003, 02:26 AM
Automags are one of the best platforms to start you on your paintballing road...extremely reliable, functional, robust, low maintainence, nice upgrade path...

You get a 68 classic mag w/ powerfeed (about $250 used), then install the Level 10 bolt kit, and you've already got yourself a fine marker...from there...

Intelliframe
Y-grip (soon)
X-valve
ULE body (soon)
Warp

Thats pretty much all you need to have a rippin' machine...the mag gets my vote!! Course, I do own two of them:D

Dave

GT
03-23-2003, 02:52 AM
but you know whats even cooler you dont need all that crap everyone listed to have a great mag.

just get one!!!!

jb

yeahthatsme
03-23-2003, 08:51 AM
try a bunch of different markers and see which you like best.

as for getting made fun of, i get made fun of a bit, then i play and their all like "dude....lemme shoot it!!!

SlipknotX556
03-23-2003, 09:22 AM
2k2 timmy is my first choice, but I have an emag has a backup and im getting a no rise rt over the summer.

TheJester
03-23-2003, 09:33 AM
yea, just shoot everything you can. of course you're gonna get alot of "get a mag" on this forum, but mainly cause mags are sweet (hint hint). but just shoot all sorts of different guns, you're new to the sport, so i would recomend something else than a mag, mags are great, but they may be a little too much gun for you if you're new, and if you don't decide to stay w/ the sport, or be very "hardcore" then a mag might not be worth it, you would never get your money's worth. good starter guns are tipmanns and spyders (they have yet to impress me though, i personally don't like them) as for getting picked on at the feild for a mag...you won't, i'm for the most part a one of a kind owning a mag in my area, so i'm the odd ball, but they're all like, whoa, nice gun

2k2 timmy is my first choice, but I have an emag has a backup and im getting a no rise rt over the summer.

guys, this kid's new, he doesn't need all that yet

I'm new to this form, and I'm new to paintball
notice the "new to paintball" part

Riot[Z-Grip]
03-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Hey, welcome to AO!

My opinion is that if you are new to paintball, you should pick up a good inexpensive marker like a Spyder or Tippmann M98 until you decide if you like the sport. Both of these markers will perform great if mainained well. I started out with a Spyder and don't regret it. This way you aren't blowing alot of money in case you find out later that you aren't as 'in' to the sport as you thought you were. Also, you can learn what your 'tastes' will be and what you 'really want' out of a marker.

That said, if you easily have the cash, a Classic Powerfeed Automag would also be a great beginner gun. Easy to tech and maintain, high performance for the money, and can be upgraded to compete on the highest levels. (Others have already mentioned these upgrades such as X-valve, Intelliframe, Nitro, etc.)

-Riot

Edit: Grrr... Jester types faster than I! =)

SlipknotX556
03-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by TheJester
guys, this kid's new, he doesn't need all that yet

He simply asked what kind of gun he should get, I suggested a 2k2 timmy.

darklord
03-23-2003, 09:46 AM
What kind of price range are you lookin at? You'll want a motorized hopper and air, too.... if your budget is limited I'd say a mag run off remote co2 with a motorized loader and a level 10 would be fine. If you have the dough, definitely spring for a matrix, or an e-mag.

highzakite
03-23-2003, 03:22 PM
I think everyone is over looking one important factor, BUDGET. If your very limited, I would go with a spyder. You could pick up the e-99, tank, mask, and hopper for under $200. Of course, if price in not an issue, E-MAG all the way.

A lot of people are right when they say shoot a variety of markers. See what fits you best and matches your playing style. You wouldnt want a 4 foot long sniper gun if you like playing on the front line.

As for a reccommendation, again, look at what sight your on. AUTOMAGS.ORG

MAGS ROCK.

Jaymz
03-23-2003, 03:24 PM
mags are perfect really. My advice is if you want to put $500 max into paintball with gear and everthying id get a spyder shutter (spyder electros are way overated). if you want to spend $1400 id get a cocker. Anywhere between 500-1400 get a mag =D

B00bzor
03-23-2003, 10:13 PM
well this guy is new to paintball and all you guys are talkning nitro and emags and such. just get like a beginner marker. and mags arnt out dated

-=Squid=-
03-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by SlipknotX556

He simply asked what kind of gun he should get, I suggested a 2k2 timmy.

Man, hes never even played before...You just recomend that because you have one. You would recomend a PT extreme if thats what you shot.

big E kingpin
03-24-2003, 10:10 AM
get the powerfeed mag with the classic AIR valve.dont listen to people, and just go from there

circus5
03-24-2003, 12:06 PM
look at my angel, then decide for yourself:D

Hunter
03-24-2003, 01:21 PM
That poor angel :'( but get a nice impulse you will love it forever.

Cliffio
03-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Hunter
but get a nice impulse you will love it forever.

or until another hyped up marker comes out

xadamx
03-24-2003, 01:47 PM
sence you are just starting out id advise you to get a spyder or pmi marker(they are basically the same gun) or a tippmann model 98. they are all good guns and will get you into paintball without paying a crapload of money

GT
03-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Cliffio

or until another hyped up marker comes out

hahahaha,
no way dog u need the new gat from smartparts '03 shocker fo life!!!

I love it! All you have to do is come out with a differnet marker every 6 months and laugh all the way to the bank(Bob Long).

jb

WARPED1
03-24-2003, 01:51 PM
I traded my Angel for an EMag, sold my other electro and bought a PTP Micromag. Guess which gun I'm going to suggest?

Hunter
03-24-2003, 02:06 PM
You were going to suguest a nasty impulse right? great markers for the price, but pound for pound rats kick a$$.

SyntaxError
03-24-2003, 04:21 PM
Mags and Angels... probably the best quality equipment being produced, go with one of them.

-=Squid=-
03-24-2003, 04:25 PM
do none of you people understand, this guy is NEW!!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

SyntaxError
03-24-2003, 05:02 PM
So? Better that he starts with something of higher quality than wastes more money and time in the long run by starting with a Spyder or Tippmann.

hostage
03-24-2003, 06:16 PM
I'll tell you this, don't always do what everyone tells you to. I've owned many markers and found that I like the Automag series of markers the best. Others seem to influenced by hype. Shoot a few and see what you like the most, what you are most comfortable with, will be the gun for you.
Peace,
Doron