PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Why

LTLGRMLN
03-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Tell me why I should get an automag over a cocker or impy. I want reasons. Please dont post "because there good" nothing like that. I want to hear the plain hard facts.

AGD
03-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Ok but first answer this question:
Do you like to tinker with your gun during the week?

AGD

Russ
03-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Why?

Because the Prez of AGD answers your questions personally. :D

Try & talk with Bud, and who knows who's in charge @ Smart Parts...;)

BTAutoMag
03-24-2003, 08:53 PM
i just recently bought a cocker because i was sick of my mag always working. i need to tinker with something

Bubonic Plauge
03-24-2003, 09:03 PM
I was turned on by the AO community. Awesome, friendly, helpful, and you even get replies from the big "T." I work for a large customer service oriented co. and one thing that really impresses me is when the owner of my co. takes the time, to assure, reassure, explain, and participate with his customers.

The Mag is an enigma. Amazingly fast, and with a level 10 bolt, you wont be chopping. That cinched it for me.

CraigEgg

Evil Bob
03-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Do you like having to sit out a game or two and tinker while everyone else is out having fun?

-Evil Bob

warpfeedmod
03-24-2003, 09:10 PM
You want to believe that's why.

http://www.whatisthebinty.com/images/wiseass/lvl10believe.jpg

Level 10, #1 customer service and support, Automags.org, Mr. T. answers yer post personally, did I mention Automags.org?

LTLGRMLN
03-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Yeah I like to tinker. Ive heard about autocockers though, and that seems a little too much tinkering for me. I just like to mess around with stuff and basically make it so that it might work better than before. So yeah... I like to tinker... but not too much.

FalconGuy016
03-24-2003, 09:12 PM
I reccomend a mag over a cocker because of the reliability and simplicity over a cocker. I had a perfect demonstration at a tournament this last sunday. My teammate was in the same bunker as I and he was just bashing his gun with his hand and screaming. He EVENTUALLY got into the game, but he missed the first minute or two, which is pretty big. Yet my other friend's cocker worked fine the whole day. There is just so little to go wrong with a mag though. However with a STOCK valve, a cocker has a lighter pull IMO. An impy is a different story over a regular mag, I would go for the impy UNLESS you get an emag or ***xmag*** (I also played around with an impy this sunday... electronic pulls are amazing :))

Oh, with level 10 you wont chop anymore :)
Intelliframe - good good good frame
RetroValve/Xvalve - shoot MUCH faster with no shootdown

sorry if this is a bit unorganized, im dead tired :) I probably forgot a thousand things

final note: mags wont fail on you :) there isnt a whole lot to tinker with however. You should get some cheap cocker somewhere and tinker with it and upgrade WHILE using your nice mag you also bought :)

LawFox32
03-24-2003, 09:15 PM
number one reason, the president of airgun designs, the president replies to your topic SIX minutes after you post it, and he doesn't give a sales pitch nor does he hype or throw around BS. thats what I like about TOM

LTLGRMLN
03-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I was wondering what is the pricing on an x-mag because thats what I was thinking. I just want to make sure im not overbudget... Oh and I saw the video of the level 10 w/ tom its pretty cool. Oh and why does it do that? the low impact... does it just go slow or is it light or maybe both...

LawFox32
03-24-2003, 09:32 PM
I assume you are asking about LX; well the bolt cycle is in two steps, first the low impact step when the bolt is being held back by the carrier and the longer spring, the second step the bolt kicks forward really fast and completes the cycle

LTLGRMLN
03-24-2003, 09:35 PM
I dont know how mags work yet but I can kind of see where you are coming from...

LawFox32
03-24-2003, 09:38 PM
its fairly simple; it uses friction to slow the bolt in the beginning and then when the friction is released the bolt speeds up

so it goes slow then fast

the slow part is where you will have a ball half-fed and it will pinch the ball and reset

LTLGRMLN
03-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Ohhhhhhhh... I get it. That makes a little more sense now. And is AO automag owner(s) or automag online?

AGD
03-24-2003, 10:14 PM
Grmln,

Well you see from all the answers. Cockers are for people who like to tinker and mags are for guys who dont think about paintball during the week. Its pretty simple really.

AGD

TheJester
03-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by BTAutoMag
i just recently bought a cocker because i was sick of my mag always working. i need to tinker with something

that's why my next gun will be a cocker, i want something i can fiddle w/ in my spare time. mags never fail, when they do it's a simple o-ring. they're high performance, low maintainence. all you need for upgrades AGD makes them, no need to figure out which comany makes a better 3 way, front block etc. they're consitant, they're unbreakable, they're low kick, they're small, they're awesome, AO is awesome. Tom Kaye actually asks use for help w/ designing new products (look at the y-grip) and he'll also personally respond to your ?'s here on the board, like he did to yours

InfinatyBPS
03-24-2003, 10:32 PM
Didn't feel like reading the other posts but this is what I have to say. If you like to tinker with your marker and try to make it better than what it is, I say totaly go for a cocker, becuase there is endless amounts of things you can do to it and you can get for it. Alot of people think that Cockers are too complicated or unreliable, but they realy aren't. To time it you just have to make sure the gun cocks right after it fires, not that hard to do :) People like to make it seems complicated so they can feel special that they did something that "not many people can do" but its realy simple, so don't let timing or reliablity be and issue for your purchase and when its timed, it will stay that way for a while:) But if your the kind of person that just wants to put air on, and go play with a good performing gun that you realy can't improve on then get a mag...

Machina123
03-24-2003, 10:53 PM
i think any owner of a big paintball company such as agd takes the time to personally reply to your thread is a great person/company who is concerned about customer sevice. i will deffidently be buying a mag in the future and would like to thank Mr. Kaye for suplying us with this great free forum for posting.

Dayspring
03-25-2003, 12:19 AM
I agree with Tom EXCEPT that I think about paintball ALL week between playing. :D

I just know my stuff will work. :)

Originally posted by AGD
Grmln,

Well you see from all the answers. Cockers are for people who like to tinker and mags are for guys who dont think about paintball during the week. Its pretty simple really.

AGD

DiRTyBuNNy
03-25-2003, 12:23 AM
Well..I don't know the rest of you all out there...but I've pretty much had every gun under the sun in the last year...and i know you probably won't listen to me...buy a Mag...buy an X-Mag..but if you do get Mag and then get something else..you will be back...I promise you....you will be back...

FeuerFri
03-25-2003, 12:40 AM
a cocker is what you make it when it comes down to it. most places will install parts that you buy from them unless you buy online. don't mess with stuff if you are not 100% that you can fix it if you f it up. the combos of parts and all the differant opts for it, once you get it set-up to the point you love it and could not possably add more, it will be completly custom, something ppl can appreciate. if you like the idea of having the opt to change anything you dont like about the marker, than go with a cocker. if their is a local shop by you, you can usuly get them to time it if your not comfertable with doing yourself for a small fee as well. customer service i cannot comment on cause i have not tried to get ahold of or heard about anyone having any trouble with them though. their are alot of good online info resourses that you can use though.

imps are fun markers to have. gotta make you clean the entire gun after every time you play, including the soli to avoid the fsdo problem, which is a commen thing ppl complain about when they say, "oh well it was cool when it worked." it is prity customizable, not as much as a cocker but than again not nearly as many parts. most stuff is easy to install unless you get evil stuff, my friend got their valve and resperator, and as of now it is in peices cause we have no clue how it goes in lol. the magno triggs are super cool, fully adjustable as well as cheap. Customer service from what i get is a nightmare. i have heard nothing but horrer stories from ppl trying to get ahold of them.

mags are ungodly. when the way to clean is it is to stick it in a bucket of water and shot, than dry off. no real need for upgrading, just buy an rt pro if you can, they come with the intelli frame, and i wanna say lx too but cannot say for sure. they are fun guns, as well as relieable. not big on flash realy, but as you can see by the tuna mags they can be beutiful. plus, as al ready mentioned, customer service is totaly awsome, i mean seriously, hanging here you can almost feel like you know the TomKaye(sp?) which is pritty cool. AO is almost like a big family which has big meets in differant states to get together and play.

i have owned each one of these of the markers, though i have never used a retro valved regreatably i hope to get an rtp or e-mag some time. i had my imp maxxed besides an lpr which dont interest me, and i haved owned 2 cockers, and as of now i prity into my cocker, but i also love blowing money on my guns too lol. hopfully i helped a bit in your choice, i tryed breaking down each marker for ya to get a bit of a handle of what each marker is like so that you can relate what you want to each marker.

TheBigRaguPB4L
03-25-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by AGD
Grmln,

AGD ]

I like to tinker and i think about paintball everyday. I guess i'm one of those special people.

Smokee_2_7
03-25-2003, 01:41 AM
pricing on an x-mag is up there. Around $1350, depending on color (solid or fade) and some other options.

here's the consolidated information on level 10, including how it works. http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40904&highlight=superbolt

As far as why I think you should get a mag over a cocker or an impy?

first off, let me say that a stock automag and an impulse are 2 different classifications of paintguns. Higher end electric versus higher end mechanical. Definite difference ease of fast firing, and trigger pull. If you want to do a comparison with an impulse, I would reccomend that you compare it to an emag, or better yet a x-mag.

Now, on to the mag vs. cocker.

Im gonna try to keep it short, as this is probably one of the most talked about topics on the internet (paintball wise.)

First off, there is an EXTREMEMLY high probablility that you will see higher reliability from the automag over the long run, versus the autococker. Simply put, there are fewer moving parts in the 'mag, and there is less chance of somthing going wrong- - fewer 'wearing' parts, fewer seals, ect.

Performance wise, it is a matter of preferance. From what I have seen, it is possible for the average user to learn to shoot an automag faster than they can shoot an autococker- - - but this is dependant on both guns being set up similar. For example. . don't compare a stock 68automag with a single trigger to the newest 03 cockers with the hinge frames. Trust me, you will be able to shoot the cocker faster because of the trigger. As far as upgrades go, the gun that closest resembels the Newest stock autocockers (out of the box) is (in my opinion) the RT pro-x (or whatever we're calling them now).

The intelliframe allows for a much faster firing rate than is seen on the original stock single trigger frame. The x-valve allows for a much higher recharge rate--- faster than anything else currently on the market. This combined with lvl 10 makes for a marker that is incredibly fast, with chopping reduced greatly, if not eliminated. I can say with confidence that a properly set up, out of the box rt Pro is eaisier on paint and a more reliable, faster marker than any non-electronic autococker out there. The only thing that limits your rate of fire on the gun is how fast your fingers can move. The mag pull is definitly different than that of the cocker, and some people 'learn' to pull it faster quicker than others. I have made several jaws drop when i get on my retromags- - - - including electo-owners.

Finally, AGD's customer service is second to none. I have dealt with this company fairly regularly for the past 5 years. I have never had a complaint. I have had SEVERAL complaints with the customer service offered by WGP, and as a reference, we (i work at a paintball shop) no longer carry any WGP products- - - needless to say, we have not been happy with them as a company.

Besides, as others have already pointed out. . Tom Kaye, the president of AGD hangs out on these boards, and keeps us updated, answers questions, and values our input on new products and developments- - - As Im sure you've noticed, he replied to this thread shortly after you posted it!.

Hope this helps,

Carl

CaptainChops
03-25-2003, 02:46 AM
First of all, lemme say... I don't own a 'mag. When I got into the game, I didn't have much money, so I went with a lower end semi (Tippmann if ya care), and now I have even less money, so there's no hope for an upgrade anytime soon.:rolleyes:

The general consensus around my parts is that mags suck and cockers are king. But I have to tell you, that after reading the forums and seeing Tom Kaye, the freaking OWNER OF THE COMPANY, post replies to questions, I have to tell you that my view has changed.

Just going purely by what I've read and seen here, I have to put my vote in for a mag.

warpfeedmod
03-25-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by CaptainChops
First of all, lemme say... I don't own a 'mag. When I got into the game, I didn't have much money, so I went with a lower end semi (Tippmann if ya care), and now I have even less money, so there's no hope for an upgrade anytime soon.:rolleyes:

The general consensus around my parts is that mags suck and cockers are king. But I have to tell you, that after reading the forums and seeing Tom Kaye, the freaking OWNER OF THE COMPANY, post replies to questions, I have to tell you that my view has changed.

Just going purely by what I've read and seen here, I have to put my vote in for a mag.

whoo hooo! The AO Army converts another helpless soul!

heh

The general consensus around my parts is that mags suck and cockers are king.

This seems to be pretty much the consensus anywhere I go, the pro shop, the field, other forums, even between some friends who are impy owners :p

Aliens-8-MyDad
03-25-2003, 08:28 AM
BTAutoMag

yea i know how u feel. my e-mag is always working so i used to fix my friends spyders, but now they all got mags, so not many problems.... so along came this deal where this kid at my school sells me a stock 99 cocker for $50! woooohoo i get to mess with something alot.... suprisingly i havent messed it up yet and i gave it a killer triggerjob!

hitech
03-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by AGD
Cockers are for people who like to tinker and mags are for guys who don't think about paintball during the week.

Not exactly. I love to tinker. However, I don't always have time to. And I HATE missing a game (or worse, playing with a rental, been there, done that) because my equipment fails. I like trying to improve things, but when I'm ready to go my equipment better be ready also.

I also love being able to fix a 'mag between games. :D

covadsucks
03-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Why get a mag? Simply put, they are a true workhorse of a marker. Get 'em wet, they'll keep pumping out paint. Drop it in the mud, they'll keep pumping out paint. Due to it's Stainless Steel construction, (Classic Power Feed Automag) it's one of the most durable paintguns ever. While it may seem outdated my retromag would scare the (four letter expletive) out of people.

FlagCarrier
03-25-2003, 05:33 PM
mags are durable and definitely more reliable on a day to day basis than cockers. especially since the closed bolt accuracy theory was disproved, the only attraction cockers have (IMO) is upgradeability.

ß.C.
03-25-2003, 06:22 PM
they are good guns, I don't find them as spectacular as people may say but they are VERY high quality. I like quality. I like the feel of shooting a cocker but IT IS A MAJOR HASSLE. And even though the cocker might feel better it certainlly doesn't necessarily shoot better.