PDA

View Full Version : Need All You Car Guys!!!!

Cliffio
03-25-2003, 02:54 AM
alright car guys, i need your help

i need to find some aftermarket parts for my new expedition

i have NO clue where to start looking
and i need a few things

1.aftermarket hood
--can i get these pre painted? after all my ex is black, but i want it to kinda match, if not how much $$ aprox. are they to get painted?

2.aftermarket grill
--just would like to know where i can get one, i also need the lower part because my ex has the fog lights on the bottom, so i would need at least 2 new grill pieces

3.Cattle Crusher, Beef Buster, Grill Guard, whatever you want to call it
--looking for any good ideas as far as brands go and with or without lights

4.new headlights
--i want that xeon crap, but i bought some at a local store and they were super crappy i couldnt see shat with them at night, so i want some good ones, a brand name would be best here

5. rims
--the bigger the better, looking for 24's but 22's will do, i dont want to spend a HUGE amount but i know they arent cheap, any places that have good deals

thanks guys
Cliff

edit- im kinda lookin for a hood/grill like this
http://www.suvworld.com/gallery/WildAzCat/79981.jpg

Methos
03-25-2003, 03:04 AM
If you want quality(really bright) Head Lights - get PIAA Brand. Otherwise go with an HID (High Intensity Discharge) conversion which will be your ultimate bet.

Other than that - I'm more specifically a DSM'r (Eclipse/Talon/Laser) guy and dont deal much with trucks - untill I get my Ram 1500.

Cliffio
03-25-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Methos
If you want quality(really bright) Head Lights - get PIAA Brand.

are there different "models" or a series i should go with?

just trying to get the right kind, because the last ones i tried i absolutly hated

thanks

Cliff

EDIT-i dont really know what im looking for as far as different series or whatever goes, and as far as output, it looks like its in "K" so do i want the higest?
i just dont know what im looking for is all:)

thanks for anyone who helps

Clare
03-25-2003, 03:46 AM
can i get these pre painted? after all my ex is black, but i want it to kinda match, if not how much $$ aprox. are they to get painted?

Yes, you can get it painted to match. Mine is matched exactly with my current paintjob (I just got the correct color code from the Jeep dealership). Since yours is black, you won't have too much of a problem getting it done. I don't recall how much it was, though. If you don't want to replace the whole hood, you can also get the fake parts that can be attached to your hood (which can also be painted to match).

Cattle Crusher, Beef Buster, Grill Guard, whatever you want to call it
--looking for any good ideas as far as brands go and with or without lights
Try looking into WAAG or Go Rhino, I currently have a WAAG brush guard and Go Rhino guards on my tail lights and sides.

--i want that xeon crap, but i bought some at a local store and they were super crappy i couldnt see shat with them at night, so i want some good ones, a brand name would be best her
go with PIAA or the HID conversion kit. Beware of bulbs claiming to be xenon, a lot of them tend to burn out real quickly

the bigger the better, looking for 24's but 22's will do, i dont want to spend a HUGE amount but i know they arent cheap, any places that have good deals
I know several people who had huge rims on their Suv's and they ended up removing them within a couple weeks. As soon as they hit a small bump in the road, they had problems.

I hope this helped, somewhat :)

Dayspring
03-25-2003, 10:01 AM
Just remember- the bigger the rim, the less tire sidewall you'll have. This means a more harsh ride and the possibility of cracking a rim in a pothole or something.

Also- brush guards do nothing to actually PROTECT the vehicle from anything bigger than a shopping cart. I've seen grill guards get into a slight fender bender. They actually bend up into the vehicle and cause more damage than there should have been (bent into the fender and pushed the hood back about 3 inches). You want real protection? Go to www.arbusa.com and see if they make something for your model. It'll give you mounts for lights and WILL protect you from any sort of front end collision.

As for lights, you want to watch out for the wattage requirements. I've seen people put in high wattage bulbs and melt the wiring harness. If need be, you can always use a heavier duty ground wire to help with this, but I recommend staying within/close to stock values.

Unless you're putting in an actual cold air ram setup, why bother with the new hood? Most are there for looks unless there is something channeling all that air into the engine. Most people put them on, but still have their air box. No function, just form.

Thordic
03-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Pff, nothing on that site for my saturn, Nick. :)

cphilip
03-25-2003, 11:24 AM
F150online

Thats were I spent a lot of my time when I had an F150 and got a lot of my links and tips and good prices from Vendors and members there. Same truck so...

pbzmag
03-25-2003, 11:28 AM
Here's some sites you can buy X aftermarket parts. PerformanceProducts mostly sells truck aftermarkets. I went to their showroom bought some new set of shocks they gave me some tips on installing them. Pretty much, they were easy to install except for the rear left of my X. Before that, I bought a cat-back system. The first time I went to get it install by them, they had the wrong part. It turned out that my X had some differences than some X's. The part I needed cost more but they gave me the original quote. I recommend PerformanceProducts for X parts.

www.performanceproducts.com
www.truckperformance.com

Dayspring
03-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Some of those bumpers weigh more than your entire car Brian!

I love mine though. They're built in Australia and are designed to withstand the impact of a full grown kangaroo.

In the US, I've heard of two Xterra owners with them that have withstood farm animals and in one extreme case, a washing machine that fell off the back of a truck.

Originally posted by Thordic
Pff, nothing on that site for my saturn, Nick. :)

Cliffio
03-25-2003, 03:15 PM
im still having a hard time finding a hood, i would rather not go with fake parts

also, are there any national chains of stores who carry brush guards? its hard to get an exact idea of what it will exactly look like over the internet

thanks

Cliff

johnny dee
03-25-2003, 03:45 PM
get a summit or a jegs catalog, they usuall have everything u need.

Python14
03-25-2003, 05:09 PM
If you really want a good brushguard, your best bet is to get one custom made so you get exactly what you want. I have yet to find one I really like so I'm making my own in welding class.

PIAA is great. If I had the money, I'd be using those instead of my walmart floods(which work fine, but I doubt will last)

Why do you want a new hood? I don't think many companies make aftermarket hoods so the bes I can say is good luck. You might be able to find someone who can modify yours if you just want a new look.

Both of PBzmags links are good.

Also, just a tip, stay away from big rims. It's just not worth doing. Go the fun way and get it lifted and pack some BFG MTs or SS/TSLs in.

Dayspring
03-26-2003, 01:58 AM
A man who knows something about trucks!

TSL's baby!

Super Swampers are the king!

Originally posted by Python14
Also, just a tip, stay away from big rims. It's just not worth doing. Go the fun way and get it lifted and pack some BFG MTs or SS/TSLs in.

Cliffio
03-27-2003, 02:21 AM
ok, well i found the hood

I am also looking for a rear wing

anybody?

Cliff

Dayspring
03-27-2003, 10:13 AM
Gotta keep the back end down when you're going 55 right? ;)

Originally posted by Cliffio
ok, well i found the hood

I am also looking for a rear wing

anybody?

Cliff

Cliffio
03-27-2003, 01:22 PM
hardy har har

anyways, at least it isnt some 6 foot monster on some import piece of garbage.

Dayspring
03-27-2003, 01:24 PM
I agree!

My personal fave is the huge wing on the front wheel drive car...

Ranks up there with buying hair care products from Cher... (She's wearing a WIG!)

Python14
03-27-2003, 05:00 PM
I saw a Honda Accord Sedan with a reversed wing. I told the owner that not only was his wing useless, it wasn't even on right. He told me I didn't know anything about racing or cars and then he went into some long shpeal about how his car now goes faster(almost 150 mph according to him)with it because it "is sleaker". I laughed and went back to reading my blessed JP magazine.

Dayspring
03-27-2003, 05:37 PM
If he's got 150 MPG, then I'll put a damned wing on my truck. ;)

Ityl
03-27-2003, 10:40 PM
gotta love a girl that knows her auto stuff :D

Originally posted by CaPoEiRa

Yes, you can get it painted to match. Mine is matched exactly with my current paintjob (I just got the correct color code from the Jeep dealership). Since yours is black, you won't have too much of a problem getting it done. I don't recall how much it was, though. If you don't want to replace the whole hood, you can also get the fake parts that can be attached to your hood (which can also be painted to match).

Try looking into WAAG or Go Rhino, I currently have a WAAG brush guard and Go Rhino guards on my tail lights and sides.

go with PIAA or the HID conversion kit. Beware of bulbs claiming to be xenon, a lot of them tend to burn out real quickly

I know several people who had huge rims on their Suv's and they ended up removing them within a couple weeks. As soon as they hit a small bump in the road, they had problems.

I hope this helped, somewhat :)