PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Glasses

Miscue
03-25-2003, 01:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a way that I could get wrap-around type, prescription glasses... with anti-fog lenses. This way I can plop my mask on w/o having to mess around with anti-fog sprays... which I hate. I can't see for crap on a PB field w/o my glasses.

Secondarily, I'd love to have wrap-arounds that can be protective off the field. I dunno about any of you, but I get nervous on the recball field sidelines with the way people handle their guns. Heck, sometimes even walking into a PB store... ;) Sometimes I just leave my mask on when I don't feel safe... and with good reason because stray balls zipping past my head in "safe" areas are all too frequent.

Strider
03-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Myself I just use Contacts... Solves everything. :)
I know, lot of help I am... :p

TheTramp
03-25-2003, 02:00 PM
I'd be very interested in hearing about this as well. My V-Force never foggs but my glasses always do. I just don't wear them when playing but it does negativly effect my game.

Miscue
03-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Well, I never wear glasses because I don't need to, except when I play PB. Contact lenses to me... are undesireable although I keep them under consideration.

hitech
03-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Using an insert for the lens helps. It gets the lens away from your face and they fog less. You still have to use anti-fog spray. I added dual fans and all that combined works well.

Wrap arounds are unlikely because of the way prescription lens work. However, if anyone finds any I'd be interested also.

Miscue, balls flying around in the "safe" area. I think you are playing at the wrong field(s). Sounds dangerous! :(

Potatoboy
03-25-2003, 02:17 PM
Go to an eyeglass store and get some cat crap for your glasses.

I've used it one before and it helps.

It's the stuff you use on ski masks and the like.

cphilip
03-25-2003, 02:35 PM
I didn't read the whole post but I prefer to just drink right out of the can... :D

Djmwake5
03-25-2003, 03:06 PM
i believe oakley makes prescription lenses for most of their glasses, and they make many frames that would work well with a paintball mask.

SlipknotX556
03-25-2003, 03:15 PM
What I did, my brother wears glasses, we went to the eye doctor, he said he could make the lens a prescription lens, so glasses were not needed.

Evil Bob
03-25-2003, 03:47 PM
My son wears coke bottle lenses and simply is too young to deal with contacts and had an extremely hard time with glasses fitting comfortably under his JT Spectra. We tried several different brands and he had the least problems with the JT's.

The fix we used was mount an RX insert into the JT Spectras. We sent his prescription into NYX Golf and got the basic plastic inserts and glued them into his spectras, works very well for him. Set us back a whopping $120.

Here's the link:

http://www.nyxgolf.com/rx.html

Here's another link to check out, they make RX lenses for all sorts of different sporting gear:

http://www.rxsportoptics.com/

-Evil Bob

Vex
03-25-2003, 04:02 PM
1. Oakley does do their glasses with prescription lenses--and their glasses are pretty much shatter-proof. Don't know how much they'll set you back, but it'll be worth it.

2. JT sells a prescription insert that fits the Spectra masks (well, at least they used to).

Skreemer
03-25-2003, 04:02 PM
I use the Bolle inserts into my JT Spectra's... the inserts cost me 10$ and the lenses I cheaped out and went to Wal-Mart with my perscription and got a set of polycarbonate lenses for the inserts... the lenses were 30$....

they seem to work very well for me... as long as you can keep the lenses of the scripts up against your JT lenses your OK... as soon as they get near your face forget it... fog city..

oh yeah and a work to the wise.... polycarbonate(shatter resistant kids lenses) give you a really weird fisheye view and take a bit of getting used to.

(as soon as I can find a link to the inserts I'll post it.)

hitech
03-25-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Skreemer
I use the Bolle inserts into my JT Spectra's...

I use to use those also, until my prescription changed. Never updated the lens. However, for $30 I might. Now, if I can only find the insert...

Temo Vryce
03-25-2003, 04:17 PM
I believe that you can get perscription gogles for playing racketball. WOuld those work for inside your mask?

Duke Henry
03-25-2003, 04:20 PM
I wear glasses while playing, and to avoid fog up on my glasses, I use a good JT Vortex fan for my Proteus II. Mounts right no the top of the goggles, under the visor and can take 300 FPS shots directly. Works like a dream...

Skoad
03-25-2003, 04:23 PM
i wear glasses and have no problem with them fogging up. not sure if it's because i kinda direct my exhale downward instead of in the face piece of the mask...i noticed a big difference ni playing cold weather by doing that.
hopefully getting contacts again soon.

i'm sure prescription sporting glasses aren't too hard to find.

CaptainChops
03-25-2003, 04:42 PM
This may sound pretty duh because I've never actually used one but I've heard they've worked... Did you ever think about trying a JT Proteus with the Vortex fan thingee? I know it's supposed to keep air flowing through the mask, so it could possibly help with glasses fogging too? Just my .02... :D

yeahthatsme
03-25-2003, 04:44 PM
you can get prescription lenses made for your goggles i believe...

TigerMan
03-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Maybe Recspecs. Now I don't know how they'd be for paintball, but many kids use them in other sports, such as soccer and basketball. Only thing though is they are a little large, and may not work with the mask. They almost are like swimming goggles. I'll look and see if they have a website.

EDIT: See below for links to sites with Recspecs.

TippmannMan
03-25-2003, 04:55 PM
ok first of all to confirm for the umpteenth time. oakley does make a completely seperate prescription line of eyewear which is wrap around. another thing you can do is wrap your glasses around yourself by simply CAREFULLY bending the frame at the bridge and other places deemed necessary. i dont understand why more designers dont do this. it offers much better protection and looks better. on a side yet related note another nifty thing is making the ear pieces straight as opposed to wrapping around your ear like typical frames. and if you had any doubts no none of these modifications distort your viewing noticably. the same goes to the case of the v-force. it is not a spectacular difference. it doesnt improve your game or perception. but i will say it is a comfortable goggle especially for the price. and lastly lens materials. i use polycarbonate and im never going back to glass. i do occasionally fog up but it seems to have a natural tendency not to and fogging only occurs when you exhale. it does not fog then remain fogged for a while. i dont know if that made sense but i dont agree that polycarbonate or high index lenses distort your vision in anyway and is in most cases the lighter alternative. so to finish up. i have polycarbonate lenses in frames that ive curved myself to avoid scratching the inside of my paintball lenses under a JT spectra mask and i have no problems what so ever.

edit: oh and if you decide to get polycarbonate or high index (any special lens material) dont use that anti-fog spray on the prescription glasses.

vf-xx
03-25-2003, 04:59 PM
besides adding fans to your mask (which I did for my v-force, and I can tell you how to, or just do it for you)

you may look into getting industrial grade safety glasses with sidesheilds. Probably couldn't use the sideshields under the mask but they generally snap on quickly enough and cover the sides of your glasses perfectly. PLus they're rated to stop flying metal objects so a paintball should be a breeze for em. Dunno how much they cost as I got mine cheap through work.

The oaklies generally cost in the 300-500 range depending on frame stlye and tint. The lenses alone cost 200 base.

TigerMan
03-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Here's a few sites I found (Recspecs doesn't have there own website it seems):

http://www.sporteyes.com/recspecs.htm

http://www.eyeglasses.com/brand/1027628326?brand_id=1027628326&page=&type_id=

03-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Contacts=Most awesome no fog awesomeness you can awesomely get. :D If you have an eye disease that doesnt allow for it get a fan. Thats what I did and it helped my glasses fogging. Also try putting a thin layer of baby shampoo on your glasses before play.

Bad_Knees
03-25-2003, 06:47 PM
Oakley does make prescription lenses for some of their frames. Not all lenses will apply. Contact the company and they can give you more detail. Miscue, if I'm not mistaken they put the prescription lense inside of their lense. I'm not too sure but I think Bolle does the same thing.

Oakley...look at the bottom of the page (http://www.oakley.com/ostore/prescription/)

I hope this helps...:D :cool: