PDA

View Full Version : SS backs on barrel kits, whats the point?

GT
03-26-2003, 01:29 PM
Just wondering what the point of an SS back on a barrel kit is? it shouldnt perform any different than a Al backed barrel. I am ordering a scepter kit for my angel and I am debating bewteen the Al and SS back.

your thoughts.

jb

DjGruv
03-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Looks better.

Cliffio
03-26-2003, 02:15 PM
sometimes they will balance out a gun, i know my SS freak back balances my 91/45 maxy pretty well

NCpaintballer
03-26-2003, 02:33 PM
you will like the aluminum scepter better. It's a lot lighter than my dye ultralite.

It's really just cosmetic, the sleeves are aluminum so the SS back serves no real purpose other than the look. There is still like a 1-2 week wait on the new 2003 SS scepters also.

GT
03-26-2003, 02:37 PM
I can understand the weight thing. I will be running a 68/4500 quest and prefer my angels a little barrel heavy.

thanks for the posts guys:D

TheTramp
03-26-2003, 02:53 PM
As the others have said, SS backs are mostly for looks. I like them better, but of course, as I've said before, I'm not one of the many that feel the need to make their gun as absolutly light as they can possibly get it. I think the ss looks better and isn't functionaly any worse so that's what I like to use.

There is the fact that the Al backs can be anoed to match your gun so that can be a big plus.

ß.C.
03-26-2003, 05:45 PM
they are more durable. Ever tried using a steel screw driver on an aluminum screw? Stips it after a while but the screw driver's fine. It's all about hardness, and steel has a high hardness rating. In other words, it's harder to scratch, and you would need something with higher or equal hardness to scratch it.

rdb123
03-26-2003, 08:02 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72668

PigSweat
03-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by ß.C.
they are more durable. Ever tried using a steel screw driver on an aluminum screw? Stips it after a while but the screw driver's fine. It's all about hardness, and steel has a high hardness rating. In other words, it's harder to scratch, and you would need something with higher or equal hardness to scratch it.

But in that respect...

Let's say your back is your "screwdriver" and your body is your "screw." You barrel back costs much less than a body, so why would you risk stripping the weak (especially on a cocker) threads of your $100+ body?

Seems backwards to me.

IcantBelieveit
03-27-2003, 07:54 AM
stupidest post evar

Timmee
03-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Well, the reason I went with a SS Freak back for my 'Mag and my 'Cocker is because of durability. I recall someone taking a digger with an AL backed freak, the end result being both the insert and the back got bent.

PigSweat
03-27-2003, 04:22 PM
I've had the same thing happen, Smart Parts replaced the bent pieces for free.