PDA

View Full Version : Playing without a mask

paint magnet
03-27-2003, 09:33 PM
Alright, before you drag me out in the street and shoot me for the slightly misleading thread title, let me explain myself. I don't mean without goggles, just without the mask part of a mask. I was wondering, since I live in South Carolina and it's starting to get hot down here and will be burning up by summer, and since I have slight trouble breathing (due to minor asthma, being fat and not in shape :p ) if I could cut away part of whole parts of my mask to increase ventilation. I was thinking of just leaving enough so that it would cover the top of the nose, part of the mouth, and the ears. Do you think this is being too unsafe? I mean I know most people would not like the idea of getting shot in the face, so how much do you think is too much before it is considered unsafe? I've seen refs wear the old scott masks with just the mouth protection (no earpieces at all) before. I'd be using something like an old Flex to cut away on.

warpfeedmod
03-27-2003, 09:38 PM
any reputable field will NOT allow you to play that way. Forget entering a tourney that way. For rec-ball hey, its your face, if you want to risk getting scarred fine by me. go talk to a doc and see about getting some asthma meds or an inhaler.

just my .02

kenny45749
03-27-2003, 09:41 PM
Well as far as the safety of it, its up to if you dont mind a potential shot to the lip, or if your local feild will let you play with a mask that isnt in "original" condition. I remeber playing only a few years back with only the goggles from jt spetras and flex 7's. Its just that recently rules have gotten tighter on saftey. So if the feild allows it and you dont mind the hits, go for it.

who_311
03-27-2003, 09:44 PM
First, inhalers wont solve your problem. And second, i have seen people at tourneys without the mask part. Anyways, i see people all the time with flexxy JT masks with the part bent up. But paint magnet, i have a Dye Invision, and i dont have anymore problems with ventilation, and i too am flestivly plump:) and quite out of shape. I would suggest getting the invision, it is worth every dollar, and people can hear me yelling at them better;).

darklord
03-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Good luck with that, especially if you open your mouth to breathe, and someone shoots a paintball down your throat (slim chance, but there's still a chance)... it's not a good idea. But hey, it's your face, so, go nuts.

FalconGuy016
03-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Ive seen a ref with just the goggle part of the mask :) hes been paintballin since the begining... man he knew EVERYTHING

warpfeedmod
03-27-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by who_311
First, inhalers wont solve your problem.

I dunno inhalers worked for me. STill do. Whenever I get congested and have a hard time breathing I puff it a few times, opens up my airways like nothing else.

Of course I'm taking one of the steroid ones but the over-the-counter stuff is worthless (I've tried heh). I had to goto 2 docs and an allergist before they found something that works.

Muzikman
03-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Most fields and ALL tournaments require unaltered maks. That being said, my first mask was the JT Whipper Snappers without ear protection. Wanna talk about minimal coverage. I also have played a few games with just goggles, though I would not suggest this with today's ROF. Your best bet would be to buy a mask that has lots of ventilation. I like the Scott's masks for this, but I do not think they are still making the Bad-***'s any more.

who_311
03-27-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by warpfeedmod

I dunno inhalers worked for me. STill do. Whenever I get congested and have a hard time breathing I puff it a few times, opens up my airways like nothing else.

Of course I'm taking one of the steroid ones but the over-the-counter stuff is worthless (I've tried heh). I had to goto 2 docs and an allergist before they found something that works.

Maybe i just have stuburn lungs:). The inhalers work but It didnt help much out on the field. Oh well.

warpfeedmod
03-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by who_311

Maybe i just have stuburn lungs:). The inhalers work but It didnt help much out on the field. Oh well.

heh could be. I have seasonal allergies and adult onset asthma. So mainly when I play around now (spring/summer) outside I get real bad. But over the winter I played indoors and never had an issue. I always bring the inhaler just in case..ya never know heh

paint magnet
03-27-2003, 10:01 PM
I'm using a proteus right now, and love the way it fits close to my face with minimal coverage, and the part that I cut off would only expose the sides of my cheeks, not my entire mouth or anything. I've seen really big guys wearing invisions with their entire chins sticking out of the bottom, which isn't much less than what would happen if I cut up one.

I don't know though, like Muzik said, with the ROF today...I'll try getting a Vortex fan (remember not just breathing but heat strokes too :rolleyes: ) and maybe try an invision before I cut anything too drastic. I have the proteus for speedball and such, but when playing rec you don't really need as much protection since you're not taking as many hits and not at close ranges.

On a side note, is being hit in the ear dangerous to your hearing? I mean I'd think it would hurt like a ***** but as far as causing any hearing loss or ringing problems?

Converted2Mags
03-27-2003, 10:01 PM
i have asthma... mild but still bothers me... i use ventolin (perscription puffer thinga muh bob) i use it b4 i do any strenuous activity, works fine for me, just an idea

paint magnet
03-27-2003, 10:05 PM
I would also like to hear your opinion on the matter, Mr. Kaye, since you probably saw a lot of unprotected face shots back in the day ;)

Load SM5
03-27-2003, 10:38 PM
Well considering the pretty sizable scar I have on my forearm, from a hit, reffing a weeks ago I would advise against it. I don't want to imagine that scar on my face. My Morph seems to be pretty well ventilated and breathes well.

ß.C.
03-27-2003, 10:46 PM
I've seen people play with what looks like ski googles at one of my local fields. Looks very unsafe to me but nothing happened to them.

RetroEclipseMan
03-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I've seen refs with only goggles on but I don't think I'd play without one. I have my flex 7 flipped up with soft ear peices but that's as far as I'll go. I also don't see the advantage of removing all those pieces since you really won't gain all that much ventalation. If you're worried about fogging the lens then get a good a thermal lens and a vortex fan and you should be set.

fyse0
03-27-2003, 11:15 PM
hm.

im sure anyone who's been gogged a good amount of times will tell you your insane hehe. I would never dare play without face part. Ever been shot in the back of the hand, oh the pain.. its so painful because of the lack of meat. Imagine being shot in the jaw, LIPS (which will be bitten and carved up by your mouth if they get shot), cheeck (NOT EVEN A BONE THERE).. temple (ha! look at him sleeping on the paintball feild ko'd).. yea ok just huff it out dude, and for my own personal opinion (not a fact) but the guys i play with and myself are synnical enough to teach you a lesson and AIM for ure face! haha oh the joy...:D .. naw maybe thats too mean... maybe..

speedyejl
03-27-2003, 11:17 PM
You'll be a lot better off getting a new mask. I owned a Proteus, then got my proflex (Flex-7 w. lots of soft parts). The difference was amazing, the face part is further away from your mouth which makes breathing soo much easier. Honestly it makes a huge difference.

I had a X-wind on my Proteus, can't say it did much. The Vortex is two way, but its probably not worth $30.

NJsyndicate
03-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Actually anyone remeber back in the day when the Ironmen (and a couple other big tourney teams of the time) used to play with just goggles or that 1/2 mask JT used to make (kinda like a spectra flex-7 with the soft part cut off)? Anyway, don't think I'm hardcore enough to try that. Like some of the other guys said been shot in some senstive areas (neck, hands, etc) and it hurt like a *****, not to mention the mark it left. Have a hard enough time explaining the welts on my body to my girlfriend :cool: , don't know what she'd think if I came home with a couple on the kisser :eek: .

TheJester
03-28-2003, 11:09 AM
well seeing that about 80% of my hits are to hte mask, i don't get hit in the body anymore, it's either the shoulder, or mask (that's all that's showing) so i wouldn't recomend it...imagine if you were to catch 1 IN the mouth...it's possible, not probable, but it's possible, i know i've had a few that if i didn't have a mask i would gotten smacked in the mouth, not just get paint and a little bit of shell in my mouth

minimag187
03-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Yes,with my spectra thermal I got years ago ,I still have got shot in the neck with it, but not the cheeks (ouch). I may get something new, because it seems its hard to breath sometimes.

The Frymarker
03-28-2003, 12:48 PM
I don't know, I wouldn't do it. I went with a Scott mask just because it had hard plastic and not the JT Flexize I wanted more protection.

Even being a ref, if you are hard core and doing your job you do get hit, I got hit quite a few times in the face being a ref, I don't think I would ever just wear goggles.

Another point I see is okay the bottom of the mask is cut off, usually I know when I play if you are running or even in stand still play I find myself breathing with my mouth open, maybe it is some from running and some from adrenaline. But if your mouth is open and you happen to get shot there, I would think that would be rather dangerous.

Getting hit in the ear also I would think would do major damage, the inner ear is very fragile and can burst with sound, now imagine the pressure placed on it from a paintball, I would think there would be damage.

I thought that Tourneys had to have strict rules regarding equipment?

lopxtc
03-28-2003, 12:56 PM
I use to play all the time back in the mid to late 90's with nothing more then my goggles and the old style ear protection that you could buy for the whipper snappers ...

I use to love how much better that felt, and the fact that my glasses no longer fogged up by my breath being deflected upwards into my goggles.

I did take several hits to my upper lip but nothing major ... and old trick (I believe the Ironmen did this) was to puff up your cheecks before you lean out to look/shoot ... one it softens the impact should you get hit, but believe it or not it can also cause a slowed down ball to bounce.

I believe to each their own, but unfortunately the legal system tends to award stupid people so I do side with fields makeing you wear full protection.

Aaron

mykroft
03-28-2003, 01:18 PM
Try the Invisions, they're very minimal. The bottom of the maskwill not block your breathing if you open your mouth.

NiteWolf1138
03-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by The Frymarker
Getting hit in the ear also I would think would do major damage, the inner ear is very fragile and can burst with sound, now imagine the pressure placed on it from a paintball, I would think there would be damage.

I believe Fry is right, if you get hit in just the right spot, bye bye ear drum.

That and can you imagine neon pink or green ear wax.... EWWWWWWW:p.

beam
03-28-2003, 03:10 PM
The first time I played was the fall of '92. All I had was goggles...no full face or ears protection.

I actally got hit on my left ear lobe. Did do anything other than knock the diamond out of the stud earing I was wearing!

I can't believe that is how we played.

BTAutoMag
03-28-2003, 03:46 PM
i believe my dealer has an old moskito mask for slae thats like that

hitech
03-28-2003, 04:11 PM
I've seen what a shot in the upper lip can do (shot a ref there, long story). It gives you a large fat lip. Looked really painfull. He talked kinda funny too. ;) Nothing I'd want anything to do with.

Phil
03-28-2003, 04:50 PM
I noticed a BIG difference in my V-Force mask vs my old JT Flex. The V is farther from your face and much cooler. Try one on and see if it works for you.

Benfica4ever
03-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Thats not a good idea, but if your fat get some slim fast:D j/k

Evil Bob
03-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Think about the target area you normally present to the guy/gal shooting back at you...

1) your head
2) your marker

Those are the two places you are most likely to be hit if you are playing tight. With today's high rates of fire, the odds of getting hit are higher, even when playing really tight in on your bunker, especially if your opponent has any skill at all.

That being the case, I would not play without proper full face protection, the odds are high that you will get hit in the lip. It is extremely painful as anyone who has been punched in the mouth will tell you.

-Evil Bob

raehl
03-28-2003, 05:32 PM
And because it hurts to get shot in the lip or down the throat is not the reason.

Your goggles are only designed to function correctly with the face mask in place. If you remove all or some of your mask, you increase the chances that paintballs impact the goggles in ways that the manufacturer does not intend. For example, I *ALWAYS* wear my visor, because I don't want paintballs that come from above me having shell fragments going through the ventillation and into my eyes.

Your facemask is there to keep paintballs from hitting the underside of your goggles where they could potentially cause eye damage. Only use intact facemasks.

- Chris

paint magnet
03-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Well, against my better judgement I carved away on my Proteus:eek: Anyway, it still has full ear protection, full nose and mouth protection, it's just a little bit more exposed on the sides, so a little more of my cheek could be hit. It doesn't seem to affect the strength of the unit at all, since I only cut away the really soft rubber part at the bottom. I also cut out the smallest circle part in the front, and it's not big enough for a paintball to go though, it just means I would eat more paint. If you look at a proteus, the only difference you would see in mine is that the lower portion has been removed except for within 2" and the front of the mouth. I don't think it's unsafe, like I said it doens't expose much more than before. I will let you know how it turns out since I'm playing this weekend.

BTAutoMag
04-01-2003, 12:36 PM
dude, youre an idiot. im wont be suprised if the refs wont let you play

Cristobal
04-01-2003, 02:32 PM
iirc, one of the dangers to playing without the mask, is that a shot to the upper cheek, just below the goggle, can still have enough concusive or deformative effect to damage the eye

paint magnet
04-01-2003, 09:36 PM
I'm not talking upper cheek, it's a little above my jaw bone.

CayleG
04-01-2003, 11:46 PM
You used to be able to play in the NPPL with just goggles, but then as paintball grew, it was seen that paintballs hitting the side of the nose or there abouts could actually be channelled up along the nose, under the goggles and into the eyes... basically, if you remove the mask part, you can still take it in the eye... not good...

btw, you must suck air like a jet engine if a mask actually inhibits your breathing :)

maldoror
04-02-2003, 10:48 AM
I played in the 1996 NPPL world cup without a mask (just goggles), and so did most everyone else. I played for years in rec-ball without a mask (just goggles) as well. It is not that big of a deal, grow some nads kiddos.

Plus paint tends to bounce off the flesh on your face as opposed to hard plastic of a mask.

TimEmag00134
04-02-2003, 11:17 AM
First off, by no means do I intend to insult anyone in particular. I understand why you would want to alter your mask, but it is not only unsafe, but I would consider the idea very stupid. Like someone else mentioned earlier, with todays rate of fire you're more than not likely to get hit by one shot but by about 3-4.

Not only that but why would you spend a good 40-80 dollars for a mask, alter it, then go to a field and have them tell you that you can't play with that mask? Not a good investment. On the other side of things, if you do not play at a regulated, insured field and you play "outlaw ball" then you run the risk of getting hit by a paintball gun that is shooting above the industry limit of 300 fps since most "outlaw" ballers don't want to pay for a chrono.

When it comes down to it, it's just not worth it.

Thordic
04-02-2003, 11:28 AM
I play with the flex part of my Flex7's folded up. I've gotten shot in the mouth before, it hurts, but you live. I got a bloody lip at the last NE AO Day that way. Two shots right in the mouth that day, I think my gum was bleeding too.

Nothing serious though, swelling went down within the hour and all was well anyway.

I find you can breathe better with the mask folded up, and your voice is less muffled. I've been playing with it folded up for about a year now, and I like it that way.

But its all personal preference, I don't think you'd get hurt very bad though. Maybe lose a tooth or two, though.

BTAutoMag
04-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by maldoror
Plus paint tends to bounce off the flesh on your face as opposed to hard plastic of a mask.

owie... man you got some balls (and cheaks) of steal for doing that

vf-xx
04-02-2003, 01:48 PM
On the ear thingy: I"ve been hit directly on the side of my head, just behind my ear canal. the paint splattered through my V-force vents and into my ear canal, and my ear was buzzing for quite some time afterwards.

I'd say you MUST have ear protection.

Then again this was out in the woods so things are a little different that way.

Tom Sparkman
04-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by maldoror
I played in the 1996 NPPL world cup without a mask (just goggles), and so did most everyone else. I played for years in rec-ball without a mask (just goggles) as well. It is not that big of a deal, grow some nads kiddos.

Yes, we didn't use seat belts in the 60s. I was even in a head-on unbelted at 18 and survived with cuts and bruises.

Just because I didn't get hurt doesn't mean it's a good idea - I always wear a belt now.

Tom

paint magnet
04-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Well, the way I cut my mask, it covers slightly more than a folded-up Flex 7. And I don't play NPPL, just occasionally CFOA.

maldoror
04-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Tom Sparkman

Yes, we didn't use seat belts in the 60s. I was even in a head-on unbelted at 18 and survived with cuts and bruises.

Just because I didn't get hurt doesn't mean it's a good idea - I always wear a belt now.

Tom

The 60's? I dont ever wear a seatbelt and its 2003. However I live in the mountains and if I were in a major accident it would someitmes be better to be thrown from the vehicle without a seatbelt than say staying in a car that is about to roll down a 900 ft. enbankment, catch my drift.

I see it like this, If I dont want to wear a seatbelt I should not have to, If I do not want to wear a facemask portion (only goggles) I also should not have to, but alas the threat of lawsuit after lawsuit ruins the freedom of choice. The lack of personal responsibility in todays world is the doom of us all.

Jaymz
04-03-2003, 09:13 PM
im _sure_ someone mentioned this nad this might be old but im kinda tired so just wanted to say it is tounry leagal to play as long as your eyes and ears are covered.