PDA

View Full Version : Light vs. heavy guns

drx975
03-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Alright I havent weighed my gun, but I believe its about 5lbs with everything on it, incl. full hopper. Ok now my 'theory' here is that having a heavy gun may in fact help increase your accuracy (yours, not the guns).

Before you say 'no way thats bs' hear me out: A lighter is easier to move, right? You should agree with that. Therefore that makes snap shooting seemingly easier/quicker/safer. Also, a lighter gun is easier to run with, and front men like me may want to take advantage of that (personally, I don't really think 2lbs make the difference here with running only 30yds).

However, with all the extremely light guns on the market, I'm not sure many people have considered (or realized) the advantage to having a heavier gun. First of all let me address the snap shooting issue. A lighter gun may enable you to snap shoot faster, but maybe you dont realize that moving the gun quicker doesn't enable you to move your body any quicker. In other words, you need to move your head and some of your body with the gun to snap shoot, and those parts arent going to move any faster (unless you lose weight).

Ok now that thats out of the way, my main idea here is simply that a lighter gun is naturally affected more by recoil than a heavy gun is (under the same op pressures and velocities and bolt weights). So what I'm saying is, in-game (NOT IN A VICE) 'tests' should prove a heavier gun more accurate than a lighter gun, simply because recoil affects the gun less. Also - a lighter gun is harder to aim while snap shooting altogether; due to its lighter weight, your hands are more likely to carry the gun further or aim the barrel off target.

What do you guys think? And seriously, think about it, dont just go with the hype - has anyone noticed this? Keep in mind that im not saying a heavier gun's accuracy is 300 times better than your Angel--I'm saying just a small difference, but that difference could win you a key elimination.

GhillieGuy
03-29-2003, 12:36 AM
Well, that is going in the perspective of a real gun. For example, the Thompson's (aka: the "tommygun") are extremely heavy, 13 pounds wich makes less recoil. I don't know is a paintball gun has enough recoil to effect accuracy... :)

drx975
03-29-2003, 03:52 PM
With the level 7 bolt and the level 10 bolt, I noticed a significant decrease in recoil and it helped me keep my gun steadier and on target. Thats also why paintball guns are put in a vice to test a barrel's accuracy. Still...even though the recoil only throws off the paintball gun's accuracy slightly, its still enough to miss your target - there have been times where I have missed my opponents head by an inch.

Also - as the paintball gun is a lot lighter than a real gun, the paintball gun bolt is ALSO a lot lighter than a real gun's bolt. So basically its all relative.

johnny dee
03-30-2003, 11:29 AM
dude we talked about this on aim b4, the weight of he gun to my liking helps me keep the gun stable while i shoot, and level 10 did reduce some recoil on my gun. although it is still sgnifigantly heavy.

Brak
03-30-2003, 11:41 AM
my setup weighs about 15 pounds, and as long as i have my tank shouldered i dont think it makes a difference how much it weighs

backtrack2pb
03-30-2003, 12:40 PM
15#! What kind of cast iron and depleted uranium contraption are you shooting?

drx975
03-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Yeah really you must have like a weight on there or somethin...not a heavy barrel, an actual weight. lol

Demobilized
03-31-2003, 06:39 PM
I think to resolve the weight issue we should just make paint lighter, because when people start talking about 2 ounces u could shave off like a pounr in paint on your hopper, or like the halo which ways a freaking ton, when you could just egg. Although the egg might look ugly its lighter

We can get back on the subject now :D