PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to pump guns, fill me in!

ß.C.
03-29-2003, 09:56 PM
If this has been posted before please link me. I did a search and got millions or results, I tried to narrow it down but had no clue what to search.

Please list pump guns from best to worst. Also if possible how much they sell for(not how much they are worth) used and stock.

The ones I'm mostly interested in stock class pumps so if you are lazy you don't have to list the rest.

Thanks a bunch guys!

HoppysMag
03-29-2003, 10:06 PM
the big three

phantom
illusion
sniper

al prices depend on config

ß.C.
03-29-2003, 10:09 PM
aren't there more than one type of phantom and sniper? I was hoping to figure out which one of them were better too. Thanks!

speedyejl
03-29-2003, 10:12 PM
(in no order)
Buzzards
PGPs
Pump Mags (damn awsome but they get barely and shots from a 12gm, assuming your playing stock and not pump)
Hammers

Seriously there is a huge list.

magman007
03-29-2003, 10:17 PM
some of the most respected pumps would be

A sterling

Carter

Phantom

Illusion

Pgp

Sniper

and so fourth...

for phantoms go to http://www.phantomonline.com/

I have a Phantom VSC(Vertical air/quick changer, Stock Class) with a 15 rnd feed, and the quick changer, along with a nice telescolping stock, all annoed in green acid wash

I love her dearly, and she is alot like a lil mag, with changeable breaches etc, they can be stripped in a second and are really simple

lopxtc
03-29-2003, 10:21 PM
My choices ...

For stock class go with the Phantom.
For open class pump or non-stock pump games I would go with a Sniper II.
If you want to be unique go with a Mag-Pump ... but not for a stock game. They dont do to well with 12 grams.

Aaron

Koosh
03-29-2003, 11:16 PM
If you want to be spending 200+ on a pump gun, then any of the above will be fine... I really didn't want to spend that much...

I bought a Tippmann SL 68 II... great gun. Its not stock class, though, but I would seriously not worry about throwing this gun out of a plane. I actually think it wouldn't have a problem if it fell 5,000 feet, got run over by a tank, then was gassed up for a game.

Did I mention that its reliable?

ß.C.
03-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Allright thanks! Now concentrate on the top 5 guns and can someone tell me how much each would average around bone stock and used?

speedyejl
03-30-2003, 12:13 AM
I would say PGP, for cheapness, reliability, and that they are accurate as anything else with their brass barrel. You should also be able to get a game with only one change of the 12gm.

edit: Don't forget they are pistol size, can take autococker grip frames, and have real nice sights to make each shot count.

Army
03-30-2003, 12:13 AM
Go here: http://www.paintmagazine.com/cgi-bin/cutecast/cutecast.pl?forum=8

That's the Palmers Owners Group. If these guys can't help you, nobody can!

Koosh
03-30-2003, 12:18 AM
The only thing I didn't like about my old PGP was that when you break paint (and you will, eventually) there is no good way of feild stripping it to get the goo out... you have to use a stick squeegee, and it just ends up pushing the goo right into the bolt or next ball...

But other then that, I guess my pgp was alright... I would go for one of the other pumps mentioned though. I would take my SL68 II over a PGP and a phantom/illusion/yadda yadda over that.

Thinking of it now, one of my friends went from an Autococker to an ACI Maverick, and he loves the heck out of it. He even sold his cocker because he stopped using it after he got the Maverick. Funny thing is he just graduated boot camp from the marines, so I guess the 1 shot, 1 kill thing was ingrained in him or something ;)

Fred
03-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Stock Class:

Phantom, used, between 180 and 300 depending on config and anno. IMO, the phantom is the best SC marker out of the box.

Illusion. Not many out there used. under 300 with the SC goodies.

Sniper: Cheaper, but not as easily converted to SC.

Carter: Expensive, no matter what... they're great, but they are a status marker. The phantom is a much better value.

Sheridans: Solid, cheap, upgradable, but they're brass, which is heavy. Not a bad thing per se, but something to consider. You can pick up a used PGP for around 50, and the new style model has all the necessary upgrades.

---Fred

flatacid
04-05-2003, 01:27 AM
bringing this back. i saw this, wanted to input.

the only way you will find the pump you like is to try them out first. i bought a phantom before trying it. its a nice little gun and everything. then i bought an illusion. it rules. period. ive tryed snipers, and there ok. ive also shot a carter. its a very nice marker, but for $600??? i wouldn't spend the money. again, its all feel.

and i would like to know where you can get an illusion with sc option for under 300. sc option is another 45 bucks on top of the 285 for the marker. 305 if its a pro.
:)

Vern1
04-17-2003, 06:37 AM
Greetings,
Try www.stockclasspaintball.com and go to the Crash Landing Store.
The Phantoms and Illusions are pretty reasonable there.
After playing with Phantoms for a while, I got hold of an Illusion and that's my main pump now.

So far, the advantages of Illusion are:
Quick change from SC to vert feed.
SC feed in front like a sheridan or back like a Phantom.
Pop out the bolt, use a pull thru and go back to shooting - I usually don't break balls during pumping in the Illusion where as I did break in my Phantoms.
Very good gas milage.
Takes cocker barrels.
smooth pump stroke.

Phantom advantages:
One of the lightest markers on the planet.
Where do you want your paint? - SC feed, hopper right, left or vertical - you have those choices.
Accurate with clean barrel.
Positively great customer service from one of the nicest guys you will EVER talk to.

In the woods, I take one of my hand-built custom Phantoms.
On speedball, I take the Illusion and hold my own pretty well for an old fart.
On pure nostalgia days, I take the bolt action Nelspot...and complain about blisters on left thumb/forefinger for days....
I have shot Carters, they are nice, but EXPENSIVE!
Snipers are good and you can change back and forth from semi to pump by adding/taking away pneumatics.
The Sheridan PGPs are good if you are on a budget, but can be a pain to clean on the field if you break a ball.

circus5
04-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Carter: Comp or Buzzard $-way too much

Component Concepts Inc.: Phantom SC $300 +/-
depends on model (sc, vert, micro, w/wo 45)

Palmer: lots of cool models

Sheridan: P68 sc

Those are my picks for stock guns. if you want non-stock pumps sterlings and snipers are great.

ß.C.
04-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys! I already placed an order for a PHANTOM.