PDA

View Full Version : the st!ffi barrel...is it what its cracked up to be?

DWill
03-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Have any of you shot this new barrel called the st!ffi? My brother is thinking of buying it after he read the aid in APG. I told him i would do research on it so see if it was worth the money, which is precisely $129. Has anyone shot it, if so what is your opinion on it. For those who havent seen the barrel ad's the site is http://www.sitemfg.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=33&CFID=38926&CFTOKEN=14071916 and the ad in APG May 2003 states that it makes for the most accurate shots in the game, proven to be quietest barrel on the market and is the stiffiest barrel on the market. Tell me if it lives up to this!

HoppysMag
03-30-2003, 10:02 PM
well they are only for cockers now but when mag or phantom comes out ul have my review:D

cledford
03-30-2003, 10:14 PM
In my un-official, uninformed, based solely on the ad opinion - it is an expensive piece of over-engineered junk.

AGD has led the world (or at least AO members) to determine (on there own) that regardless of the barrel type: ported, unported, any length (over 8 inches), honed, rifled, muzzled-braked, step bored, or what ever - the barrel has absolutely nothing to do with paintball <IN>accuracy. You'd do well to check the Deep Blue forum prior to purchasing if you hope for an accuracy increase.

If you think it looks cool, like it's weight, or are a carbon fiber addict buy it - but don't believe for one second that it can shoot any better (or any worse) then a stock mini-mag barrel.

Personally, they torque me off more then the average barrel manufacturer – using a detailed explanation of the carbon-fiber molding process to "WOW" prospective "marks" (rubes whom they wish to separate from the hard earned $129) but actually provide zero useful information at all. Honestly, if Dye provided a detailed explanation of how aluminum or titanium is produced- would that be the slightest bit useful in evaluating their product? This company doesn't even bother to offend with the usual "our barrel shoots further, tighter, slicker, cleaner, faster then the rest" line of BS.

If you're impressed that they know how to make carbon-fiber products (they should – that's their business) buy one. Otherwise I'd look to spend my money elsewhere.

Take care,

-Calvin

ezrunner
03-30-2003, 10:22 PM
I don't think that we decided the barrel had NOTHING to do with accuracy.

Your gun will shoot better when you have a good paint to barrel match. Beyond that you do not want to try to "spin" a ball along any axis.

A lot of people make claims of all sorts of nature, you need a good consistent air source, a good paint, and a barrel that is sized well for that paint.

-rob

DWill
03-30-2003, 10:30 PM
My thoughts exactly...kinda boastful ad. with no proof...and that girl amber holding the barrel didnt help... Well im glad I went here I'm gonna suggest to my bro that he doesnt buy the barrel and wait for more info to come out about it. Thanks for the info guys.

cledford
03-30-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by ezrunner
I don't think that we decided the barrel had NOTHING to do with accuracy.

Your gun will shoot better when you have a good paint to barrel match. Beyond that you do not want to try to "spin" a ball along any axis.

-rob

I would say that a good paint to barrel match *might help your paint travel the same distance downrange, but other then that:

Once you get enough "hits" your graph will look like a bell curve. This means that MOST of your shots will be pretty close to center and you will get fewer and fewer hits the farther you get from center.

Stack up enough hits and use the gaussian button on the right to see how well your shot pattern fits the bell curve. Fits pretty good after a bunch of trials right?

Now here is the leap. The fact that it fits a bell curve means that the results are RANDOM!! The gaussian fit is a test for RANDOMNESS. Why is this so important?? After all its what you were expecting right? It’s important because if it’s random, then NOTHING IS AFFECTING IT!!! If it were the bolt, or the barrel or anything else that could improve accuracy it would not make a bell curve. Well actually the turbulence is affecting it but in a completely random way.

Posted by AGD

:)

-Calvin

ezrunner
03-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Calvin.....

I think you are taking this slightly out of context.

Take a marker of choice.

Then take a tournament grade paint, and a freak system.

Now get a piece of poster board for each insert and on the back write in the size of it and the paint type.

Now shoot a hopper of through each corresponding insert at each board with a chrono under the barrel.

You now need to log the consistency of each insert and measure the diameter of the circle and take a pic of each circle.

You should have one insert that has a smaller circle and a better consistency.

-rob

Army
03-30-2003, 10:49 PM
Having got to play with a dealers sample a few weeks ago, I can say: that any 2.1oz barrel is great! We put it on a MicroMag with an Xvalve, and it proved that they know about proper porting, you could plainly hear the bolt slapping back and forth with minimal blast from the muzzle. We next put it on an Orracle, and I have NEVER heard such a quiet gun.

One of the store sponsored team members bought it on the spot, and is impossible to find/hear him on the field. Accuracy is actually above par in his particular Cocker with it, we have all shot it extensively (even switching barrels during this "test") and came to the same conclusion. The bore is very slick, and the thread adapter/back-piece is well made and very secure to the barrel.

Overall, I would not hesitate a moment to have one on my gun....just as soon as they make 'Mag backs for them:)

ezrunner
03-30-2003, 10:51 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34429

Check out the shot groups in his data thread.

I don't think Tom Kaye will tell you one barrel is best for all paint or that the barrel has nothing to do with accuracy.

-rob

DWill
03-30-2003, 11:07 PM
Even if it is a good barrel a still think their advertising was a bit boastful, basically saying that their barrel was the best. I woulda had no doubts had they put up some scientific proof but all they said was, quietest, most accurate, stiffest barrel on market. But any way who am I kidding I dont have $129 to speand on a barrel anyways, im happy with my new 12" CP 1 piece barrel.

-=Squid=-
03-30-2003, 11:14 PM
OK, I think I am the only person here who has used the barrel :rolleyes: It shot nicely. Pretty good groupings, about like every other barrel...what I think makes it special, is its near 100% NON metal, even the end of it that holds the threads it plastic... Its SUPER light, pretty quite, and again, shot well...I would still recomend the freak, but if you dont want an insert barrel, this one is definetily a keeper...you wont regret the perchase, and also, its only like $90 at our field...thats 130 is just the msrp...

IcantBelieveit
03-30-2003, 11:15 PM
plus that barrel is just plaing ugly

Spaceman613
03-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Im pretty sure the threaded portion is aluminum. It shoots just as well as any other quality barrel, but the weight is the cool factor. It didnt seem to shoot thru breaks too well (evil yellow paint).

Sound was like any other ported barrel in my opinion. its a great barrel for cool factor, but its not the best value by any means.

Yes, i have one sitting in my living room, used it for the past two weekends, semi and pump.

bottom line, buy it if you want a cool barrel, not if you want to be a better player.
http://www.spaceman613.net/paintball/works/works01.jpg

cledford
03-31-2003, 07:35 AM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34429

I don't think Tom Kaye will tell you one barrel is best for all paint or that the barrel has nothing to do with accuracy.

-rob

I think he pretty much would - or at least say that a $129 dollar barrel doesn't SHOOT $1 better then a $40 dollar stock.

-Calvin

ezrunner
03-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Hey, admit you were wrong.

The barrel has a lot to do with accuracy, I've shown you quotes and charts from Tom Kaye to prove it since you cited that source to start with.

Either do the testing and prove me wrong or drop the argument.

BTW - My favorite barrel for the money is the Lapco Autospirit.

I kept saying size match. You need a good match and a good internal finish. Now if someone wants to spend 85 bux more on the tube that is their call.

-rob

tsc
03-31-2003, 12:16 PM
Even if it is a good barrel a still think their advertising was a bit boastful, basically saying that their barrel was the best. I woulda had no doubts had they put up some scientific proof but all they said was, quietest, most accurate, stiffest barrel on market. But any way who am I kidding I dont have $129 to speand on a barrel anyways, im happy with my new 12" CP 1 piece barrel.

DWill- So you're bashing the barrel because they ADVERTISED? It's not false advertising or some such. Saying "this barrel will cure cancer, mend broken bones, and increase your cup size by 200%!" Would be.(unless of course, it did). Any company is going to say "ours in the best, please buy it!"

The barrel is in fact amazing. When all you can hear in a cocker is the backblock smaking the shooter's mask..it's good.

Deal with it.

Miscue
03-31-2003, 12:39 PM
Hey, admit you were wrong.

The barrel has a lot to do with accuracy, I've shown you quotes and charts from Tom Kaye to prove it since you cited that source to start with.

Either do the testing and prove me wrong or drop the argument.

BTW - My favorite barrel for the money is the Lapco Autospirit.

I kept saying size match. You need a good match and a good internal finish. Now if someone wants to spend 85 bux more on the tube that is their call.

-rob

??? The charts and quotes don't say anything about comparative accuracy testing.

Note what Manike (PB Engineer) has to say:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73671&highlight=barrel

NOTHING that you do can take the randomness out of a PB's flight path. They are inherently inaccurate... a barrel doesn't change that.

cledford
03-31-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Miscue

NOTHING that you do can take the randomness out of a PB's flight path. They are inherently inaccurate... a barrel doesn't change that.

This was my point - unless your barrel is X meters/feet long and the paintball never leaves contact with it. That might prove cumbersome but would take all of the randomness out of the situation :)

The thread just goes to show how entrenched some beliefs in paintball are...

-Calvin

ezrunner
03-31-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm not saying that a shot group is not randomly distributed.

We all shoot into a circle. You want a smaller circle.

That is the crux of the situation. The smallest circle. This comes from getting a barrel to paint match with a consistent air sorce and valve response.

The distribution in that circle is not at issue. The size of the circle.

-rob

RobAGD
03-31-2003, 02:08 PM
Well I got sent a dealer sample to test for the shop and so far everyone I have loaned it has really liked it a lot. I was looking to put it on my Sluggo Mag for the weigh in when I get all my lite parts on it :)

Barrels are barrels, it just depends on how many hampsters you sacrifice to the gods teh day you play on how they shoot :)

-Robert