PDA

View Full Version : SFLers.... (and I guess Xmagers)

rdb123
03-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Here's another reason to keep the yellow pin:

At the field on Saturday, during a game, I guess the software on my board froze up. The LED display wouldn't change from displaying "tech 2.1" on the display. Now, what happened prior to that was I was in E-mode and I pulled the trigger to fire, I hear the solenoid/bolt skip a shot (I don't know which one it was). I then felt the gripframe getting extremely hot and I look down to find that the whole software seized up.

So, I switched it into manual mode and it still wouldn't fire. I guess the solenoid was half activated or something. I then tried flipping the on/off spring switch thing to cut power to the battery--no luck. I looked down at the LED (with my SFL in manual: switch in the off position, and selector switch in Manual) and saw that the LED still read "tech 2.1." Fearing that my solenoid/board would fry within seconds (I thought this because my frame was getting scalding hot), I plugged the yellow switch in to physically break the circuit carrying the electricity to the board. That worked; the solenoid clicked back to it's resting position and the board shutoff.

I took my grippanels off and found my solenoid was around 105 degrees or so.

The lesson is, keep the yellow pin on your macroline even though us SFLers and Xmagers have the on/off switch now. You never know when you'll need to manually cut power. Also, having the pin in works as another safety I guess hehe.

-Ron

Load SM5
03-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Ever considered removing the battery? That works too.:D

Did you damage anything?

rdb123
03-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Load SM5
Ever considered removing the battery? That works too.:D

Did you damage anything?

Nothign damaged. Well, I'm in the habit of screwing the field strip screw in with a hex wrench so I don't have the battery moving around while I'm on the field. Thus, I can't really unscrew the fieldstrip screw with just my hand. hehe

-Ron