PDA

View Full Version : 14" Aa??

ProMag15
03-31-2003, 06:43 PM
I ordered my new barell(an AA withh a 14" freak tip), and when I got it, It seemed alot bigger than i would have expected. from the tip of the barell to the back it measure just a little over 16". When I called the company they told me that it was only because the mag style barell has to go so far into the gun. But one of my friends who also ordered a 14" barell(J&J full-tilt) measured it at around 14" in total. and also the stock automag barell which is suppost to be a 11" measure almost right on 11". Is my All american suppost to measure at 14"?(just a smart parts thing?):confused: or was i shipped the wrong size?

P.S. never order from paintballcanada.com, I ordered the red freak tip and they shipped out a black one and then refused to return it. :mad:

Blazingace
03-31-2003, 08:24 PM
I have a Freak with a 14" AA tip. It is alot longer than 14" over all. It really depend on the manufacturer where thay want to measure the effective length of the barrel. SP is right though. Due to the Mag twist lock the last 2" are not included in the length since that is where the bolt loads the ball through. J&J might measure total length not effective length. The 16" AA tip has an unported portion at the base. The 14" is ported all the way.

ProMag15
03-31-2003, 08:37 PM
My barell appears to have an unported section near to the base as well. with the tip removed(treads included) there is about 5" before the porting begins. Is that what should be showing for the 14"?

Blazingace
03-31-2003, 08:42 PM
Are you sure they didn't send to a Tear Drop barrel instead of an AA. I have a 16" TD tip and it has like 6-7" of unported barrel. A 14" TD tip might have about 4-5" unported. A TD barrel is not smooth, it has a ridge at the start of the porting and a ridge at the tip. AA tips are completely smoot outer surface.

ProMag15
03-31-2003, 08:45 PM
sorry, I did not notice that you said that you had the 14" AA tip. I was thinking that you had the freak tip and the AA back. As far as I am aware the AA tip for the 14" does start from the closer to the back than the freak tip. I think that for the most part on all size freak tips there is a little bit of space before the porting. So does anyone know approximatly how much I should be expecting? like I said I measured mine to about 5" before the porting(total tip length is just over 9"), and i think my barell sticks out a little over 13" from the gun. It just seems a little bit longer than what i was hoping for but I have absolutly no cash to buy a new tip at the moment. Is this legth still good for a mag?

Blazingace
03-31-2003, 08:47 PM
This is the link to Smart Parts AA barrel page.

http://www.smartparts.com/spaabarrel.htm

Go here to determine what you have.

ProMag15
03-31-2003, 08:48 PM
I have the AA backing and the 14" freak tip. I think the freak tip is the same as the end of a tear drop but as far as i know all tear drops are a single piece barell.

Blazingace
03-31-2003, 08:50 PM
I also have a 10" and a 16" Freak front. The 10 doesn't have any unported section either. I think you got a 16 like my other one.

ProMag15
03-31-2003, 08:56 PM
could you check the exact length of the 16" that you have? sorry to bother you I am just getting worried that i was not shipped the 14" like I ordered. sorry :(

ProMag15
03-31-2003, 08:59 PM
or i guess the length of the 14" AA tip would be good to. I could find out from there weither I got the right length. Thanks

Blazingace
03-31-2003, 09:15 PM
Sorry I don't have the tips with me right now. It you have and uported section you might have gotten a 16" tip. The 12 and 14 inch AA tips don't have any unported length. The 16" AA has a very short unported portion and it gets bigger the longer the tip is. The Freak tips are the same kind of. The 10" is fully ported and the the 12" has a 1" onprted section. The unported section gets bigger as the length goes up.