PDA

View Full Version : Newb: What to look for when buying an automag

tryme96Z
04-01-2003, 12:05 AM
As topic states. Im looking to buy a used automag(looking on ebay), could you guys tell me what I should look for, be carefull of or any suggestions you can think of. I have been looking at classic automags(68s).

Demobilized
04-01-2003, 12:07 AM
Id look for a mag with stars left on the valve. If it is not stated in the description then there are probally not any stars left.

tryme96Z
04-01-2003, 12:30 AM
Yeah I actually do know to look for the star(someone told me about it along time ago). But could you explain exactly why? If memory serves me it something like you can send it in and they will service it for free or something???

AutomagRT1483
04-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Check the forums here before you use Ebay, they usually have some good deals on stuff here on AO. Other than that, I'd just tell ya to make sure what your looking to buy is in good working order. Then again you could just get one new from the AGD store or the TKO package at www.paintballgear.com (Atleast thats who I think has it:confused: )

tryme96Z
04-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Is a MiniMag better than an automag? I read the FAQ and it sounds like the minimag is better.

Just as some backround info I have played paintball for about 3 years now. Mostly with just friends(one friend has land we play on) have been to fields a few times. First gun was a Spyder SE which I sported for 2 years then I got a Spyder TL Plus with an electronic trigger frame(which works like crap). Now Im looking to upgrade and Im thinking a mag.

Gadget
04-01-2003, 04:51 AM
As well as stars on the valve I'd also look for automags which have only got stock AGD parts - avoid anything with aftermarket on/offs, 8 hole mods, e-frames etc.

fire1811
04-01-2003, 08:33 AM
gadget is correct ask to make sure the numbers match on the valve.
what agd puts on there guns is what is best for there guns.

Doug_7
04-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Look in the classifides in this form first. It is better becuse you get a firm price in stead of getting into a bidding war and end up paying new price. Most guns in the classifiedes are like half price!

MantisMag
04-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by tryme96Z
Is a MiniMag better than an automag? I read the FAQ and it sounds like the minimag is better.

minimag and automag are the same. minimag simply has a shroud extending over the barrel. so if you like the looks go for it but there's no performance difference.

Jazzman
04-01-2003, 12:35 PM
I'd seriously consider going through a third party brokerage service, such as Palmers Pursuit Shop. They'll check the gun over, make sure it works, etc. I got burned when I purchased my mag on ebay. It had been the victim of a brutal "trigger job", was dirty, the barrels were scratched and rusty, etc. Luckily, AGD customer service rocks, so they fixed it up, and it shoots like a dream now. Ask about what mods have been done, if they have original parts, and if any exra stuff comes with the deal (tanks, hoppers, etc) hydro dates and condition are important. Good luck!

tryme96Z
04-01-2003, 01:34 PM
How good are the model 68s? How do they compare to like a spyder? I have only used one mag and it was a 68 and it didnt work well but it didnt seem like it was maintained(sp?) well and possibly had an out seal. I have been told they are good though by supposed tourney players.

irbodden
04-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by tryme96Z
How good are the model 68s? How do they compare to like a spyder? I have only used one mag and it was a 68 and it didnt work well but it didnt seem like it was maintained(sp?) well and possibly had an out seal. I have been told they are good though by supposed tourney players.

Classic 68 is just a normal 'Mag.

They are very reliable and perform great. Way better then a Spyder.